Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#46073 by Morpheus
Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:55 am
Where is the most reliable place to connect the ooma?

Right now I have a Cable modem to a Router, and the Ooma is connected to the Router. I seem to be having bandwidth problems having it connected this way.

Is it best to place ooma before the cable modem, after the cable modem, or to the router?

If it's best to place it before the cable modem or after the cable modem (before the router), do I just install a switch?

Thanks...
#46075 by murphy
Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:01 am
It's not possible to put it before the cable modem.
The recommendation is after the cable modem.
However mine is after the router because I have a gigabit network and Ooma doesn't support gigabit speeds.
When put after the router you have to configure QOS in the router.
Old generic routers don't have support for QOS so unless you have a modern router that supports QOS, and you know how to configure it, put ooma between the cable modem and the router.
#46090 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:12 am
murphy wrote:It's not possible to put it before the cable modem.
The recommendation is after the cable modem.
However mine is after the router because I have a gigabit network and Ooma doesn't support gigabit speeds.
When put after the router you have to configure QOS in the router.
Old generic routers don't have support for QOS so unless you have a modern router that supports QOS, and you know how to configure it, put ooma between the cable modem and the router.

Just curious why you say Ooma would impact your network, yes I know Ooma is not gigabit, but anything heading out on the superhighway is ultimately bottlenecked by the capped cable modem speed which is slower then generic 100 speed. With modem>ooma>router/LAN the LAN is still operating at gigabit. Makes no difference to me, just curious to your reasoning.

As for the OP question, if your having bad quality issues having ooma after the router, then obviously there is an issue.

Logic would say to place the ooma after your modem as it should automatically apply QOS to prioritize your call traffic. Not if your having bad call quality and no computers are ON the internet (including all the crapware out there checking for updates), then you have other issues. Next step is to do speed testing, raw speed test one site is http://www.speakeasy.net and voip traffic (jitter) test is http://whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Perform the speed test computer connected directly to your modem. Then retest with your router, and again with Ooma.

My expereince I started with the Ooma behind my router (no QOS), I had no issues, I decided to try with ooma connected to the cable modem, my concern was to see if ooma would kill my browsing/download speed, and it did not (then again its rare to find a public server that is not restricting speed), but to me no difference.
#46104 by caseybea
Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:18 am
My personal recommendation:

If you're not very saavy with computers & networks-- please your ooma after the cable modem. (cable>>ooma>>router).

If on the other hand you're real good with networks and such, *I* prefer the cable>>router>>ooma setup. It gives me a finer level of control over what's going on in my home. Only recommended if you really have a handle on your home network.

For me, with the ooma after the router like I indicated, I had no problems either unless I kind of forced the issue (for example, doing a MASSIVE download on my pc) - in that case, the call quality suffered a bit. You would expect that. I then properly configured QoS on my router, and the result is a flawless setup. I had issues with DD-WRT's firmware on my router and QoS not working properly (there are known issues); I changed my router to TOMATO and it works fabulously.

One of the benefits of the cable>>>router>>ooma setup is you also can totally monitor the bandwidth your ooma is using.

Your mileage may vary. There's no WRONG method in either of the above, it's purely a matter of choice, and your expertise.
#46153 by Morpheus
Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:28 pm
The problem I have is on FTP or Torrent transfers it's almost impossible for Ooma to get in or out.

Leaving the Ooma connected to my Router; do I need to setup QoS on both my Ooma and Router?

I'm not really sure about setting up QoS on my Router. I'm guessing if I call support they will be able to direct me?

It looks to me that placing the Ooma directly behind my Router and in front of my Cable Modem would be less hassel.

So basically all I need to do is place a small switch between the Cable modem and Router and plug the Ooma into that. Are we talking a gig switch, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks...
#46163 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:28 pm
Morpheus wrote:The problem I have is on FTP or Torrent transfers it's almost impossible for Ooma to get in or out.

Leaving the Ooma connected to my Router; do I need to setup QoS on both my Ooma and Router?

I'm not really sure about setting up QoS on my Router. I'm guessing if I call support they will be able to direct me?

It looks to me that placing the Ooma directly behind my Router and in front of my Cable Modem would be less hassel.

So basically all I need to do is place a small switch between the Cable modem and Router and plug the Ooma into that. Are we talking a gig switch, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks...

If your setup is modem>router>ooma then QOS only matters on your router. QOS is applied at the device level, Ooma does not send any packets to the router saying let me through first, instead you are telling your router in this case to prioritize Ooma traffic.

Ooma is automatically configured. If you connect to your HOME port and login to the Ooma box setup.ooma.com, you can see what QOS is basicly all about. Then go into your router and see, some routers get very fancy but if you take the time it is self explanatory.

Your wording about placing the Ooma directly behind my Router and in front of my Cable Modem would be less hassel is incorrect. I can only think you were refering to modem>ooma>router.

A switch will do nothing, as your modem does not do any QOS, again read my first comment above about QOS is applied at the device to tell it what gets through first. Gigabit will not do anything either, your cable modem is the bottle neck and that is even less then 100.

Bottom line if your doing mass downloading, ESPECIALLY uploading (as that is always at a slower speed), you either buy faster service, and/or do QOS. Just do modem>ooma>router and be done (as long as you check to see if there are other issues, but if your referring to quality while doing torrents then that most likely is your issue).
#46203 by Morpheus
Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:06 pm
If I do connect it "modem-Ooma-Router" do I just connect the Cable Modem to the "To Internet" port and the Router to the "Home Network" port? I'm trying to understand how to pass the connection through witout having to use a switch / hub?

I Did post my Router configuration options in another thread: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6439

My connection is 6MB but I have gotten as high as 10MB. The link abvove shows the VOIP speed test.

Thanks...