Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#46016 by rocketman1622
Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:10 pm
Wow! I just got my phone number ported today and it went perfectly! Everything has worked perfectly with Ooma from day one. I read stories on here sometimes about how bad this customer service is or how bad their number porting went but I haven't had one single problem. I called customer service about my number port and they were as nice and helpful as can be.
Now it's time to cancel my AT&T service but I also have DSL through AT&T. Is there anything special I need to do besides tell AT&T that I need to keep the DSL service? I think it's called a dry loop. To tell you the truth, I want to kick dsl to the curb as well because I can get cable internet for the same price and it's almost twice as fast but my Ooma is working so well, I'm afraid to change anything, lol.
#46072 by Morpheus
Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:35 am
I find that I loose my Cable connection during storms where as I never loose my DSL connection. Just one thing to think about. DSL connections over phone lines are a lot more reliable then cable connections, in some areas.

Also, you will need what is called a dry loop if you plan on cutting your phone with AT&T and continuing your internet on the same line. This will usually increase your your internt connection cost by $5-$10 a month.
#46091 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 am
First off, since your PORT, your ATT account for that number is already cancelled. But always verify.

If you had one landline and your DSL with that, then I assume ATT automatically did the dry loop. Normally you need to set all this up with ATT before hand to seperate the accounts, I have only heard that Verizon does the automatic dry loop, but if ATT did that for you, then great! Others have not been so lucky.

Cable prices are very competitive. Schedule the install, plug it in and see for a month, typically there is no contracts with cable so thats another plus. Ask your neighbors how reliable the cable internet is (how frequent are outages and whats the response time/duration of the outage in your area).
#46120 by rocketman1622
Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:02 pm
My number was ported last night and I woke up this morning with no internet access whatsoever. I thought I would still have internet access through that same number until I cancelled service through AT&T and at that point I would have to get a dry loop for my dsl. I don't know. I scheduled an appointment with Brighthouse for cable internet. It's a lot faster at 20mbps vs. dsl which is only 6mbps for only 15 dollars more. Even the 10mbps is the same price as AT&T. I'm saying goodbye to AT&T all together. I hope everything still works perfectly with my Ooma though with cable internet.
#46145 by amoney
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:10 pm
rocketman1622 wrote:My number was ported last night and I woke up this morning with no internet access whatsoever. I thought I would still have internet access through that same number until I cancelled service through AT&T and at that point I would have to get a dry loop for my dsl. I don't know. I scheduled an appointment with Brighthouse for cable internet. It's a lot faster at 20mbps vs. dsl which is only 6mbps for only 15 dollars more. Even the 10mbps is the same price as AT&T. I'm saying goodbye to AT&T all together. I hope everything still works perfectly with my Ooma though with cable internet.

Well there you go, did you read my post above. Since you did not seperate your DSL account before hand, it was linked to the PORTED number and once a PORT happend that account is inactivated and so does the linked DSL.
#46147 by Morpheus
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:58 pm
amoney wrote:
rocketman1622 wrote:My number was ported last night and I woke up this morning with no internet access whatsoever. I thought I would still have internet access through that same number until I cancelled service through AT&T and at that point I would have to get a dry loop for my dsl. I don't know. I scheduled an appointment with Brighthouse for cable internet. It's a lot faster at 20mbps vs. dsl which is only 6mbps for only 15 dollars more. Even the 10mbps is the same price as AT&T. I'm saying goodbye to AT&T all together. I hope everything still works perfectly with my Ooma though with cable internet.

Well there you go, did you read my post above. Since you did not seperate your DSL account before hand, it was linked to the PORTED number and once a PORT happend that account is inactivated and so does the linked DSL.

Also your AT&T accout accociated with that number is automatically cancelled, and the next bill be show it as cancelled.

No need to even call them...
#46149 by rocketman1622
Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:09 pm
You were right amoney. I did call AT&T already though to make sure it was cancelled and they offered my some discounts to stay with them. I thought that was funny because when I originally called to cancel them (before I bought Ooma), the lady just said ok, "give me a date and we will go ahead and cancel it for you". I gave her a date and she said "thank you and have a nice day." I really didn't want to leave but was just looking for more competitive pricing. It was almost as if she knew I didn't want to go anywhere and was just calling my bluff, lol. After I was offered the discounts I just told her it was too late. I already got me some free service.
#46150 by F4ith
Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 pm
rocketman1622 wrote:You were right amoney. I did call AT&T already though to make sure it was cancelled and they offered my some discounts to stay with them. I thought that was funny because when I originally called to cancel them (before I bought Ooma), the lady just said ok, "give me a date and we will go ahead and cancel it for you". I gave her a date and she said "thank you and have a nice day." I really didn't want to leave but was just looking for more competitive pricing. It was almost as if she knew I didn't want to go anywhere and was just calling my bluff, lol. After I was offered the discounts I just told her it was too late. I already got me some free service.

That exactly what happened to me last year. I was moving and called AT&T to see if I can get competitive pricing after I checked out their competitors. I was so surprised that all the guy said was 'OK' and thats it. He dropped my phone line + DSL with no further question asked!I have been with them for 4 years and they did little to retain me as their customer not even ask me 'Why...'. Oh well...their lose...