Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45828 by ladysman
Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:35 pm
I feel obligated to post here with a success story.

I've been wanting to ditch my verizon lan line for a while now but my wife wouldn't let me know. I have a daughter who is starting to talk on the phone (i know it will only get worse right? ;) ) so having a lan phone will most likely be a must in the future. I almost pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago in getting Comcast bundle package. I have always had their TV and internet but never the phone. However, I held out out for a day to think about it

That same night, I looked in the best buy add and noticed ooma and the price was 199. I looked into this service for 3-4 days and all seemed positive so I figured order it (my local BB was out of them) and see how it goes. If I didn't like it, I would return it. I read a bunch of horror stories here but I can honestly say, it took me less than 10 minutes and I was up an running. I got a new number because i wanted to try it FIRST before I ported my number.

The quality is incredible on all of my calls. I haven't called all that much yet but I can say the ones i have were crystal clear. All of the people on the other line can't tell a difference at all. And now, I can call long distance!

My setup is a little overboard but it works for me. I have ethernet in all the rooms and a bunch in my theater room for various devices as well as a PC workbench with many different PC and OS combinations attached. My network consists of an Asus RT-N16 router (Flashed with Tomato firmware), 2 DLink 2208 switches and 1 Dlink 2205 that a PC, iMac (coming soon) and the ooma are connected too. I am very lucky with a strong internet connection so this probably the main reason ooma is working so well. I get 25mb down and 10-11mb up. :) I am not running any QoS as i haven't had the need to even when doing heavy downloading, gaming, etc.

All in all, I will be porting my number from verizon to ooma much quicker than anticipated since it has worked so well. The ooma will then go directly to the phone panel in my basement so it can reach all the rooms in the house.

My only question
is the mac address on the bottom of my unit is different from what the device list in the router is showing. Granted it's only the last digit but it's off by 1. Just wandering if this is normal.

I only hope my porting goes as smooth as the install was!

Thanks again ooma for a great product!
#45835 by murphy
Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:45 pm
ladysman wrote:My only question[/b] is the mac address on the bottom of my unit is different from what the device list in the router is showing. Granted it's only the last digit but it's off by 1. Just wandering if this is normal.

It's normal. The unit has two MAC addresses. The one on the bottom is the MAC address of the Home port. The MAC address of the internet port is one higher. You can see them both by logging in to the setup page (http://setup.ooma.com) and selecting the Network page.
#45841 by ladysman
Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:06 pm
murphy wrote:
ladysman wrote:My only question[/b] is the mac address on the bottom of my unit is different from what the device list in the router is showing. Granted it's only the last digit but it's off by 1. Just wandering if this is normal.

It's normal. The unit has two MAC addresses. The one on the bottom is the MAC address of the Home port. The MAC address of the internet port is one higher. You can see them both by logging in to the setup page (http://setup.ooma.com) and selecting the Network page.

Thanks for the info. I'm not having any problems as I noted but should I be forwarding any ports?
#45849 by amoney
Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:47 pm
ladysman wrote:
murphy wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'm not having any problems as I noted but should I be forwarding any ports?

You only need to do that in your Ooma when connected after the router, this enable you checking out the setup page from your other computers on your LAN. Otherwise the only way to hit that page is connecting directly to the HOME port of the Ooma box.

Connect to your HOME port and goto setup.ooma.com (make sure you refresh your computer with a new IP from the Ooma box), and go to advance port forward port 80 for 172.27.35.1.

NOTE when doing this, access from your LAN, you will have to use the assigned IP address given by your router, setup.ooma.com will not work in the web browser as that name will not resolve (unless you run a DNS server on your LAN).
#45869 by ladysman
Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:10 pm
amoney wrote:
Connect to your HOME port and goto setup.ooma.com (make sure you refresh your computer with a new IP from the Ooma box), and go to advance port forward port 80 for 172.27.35.1.

NOTE when doing this, access from your LAN, you will have to use the assigned IP address given by your router, setup.ooma.com will not work in the web browser as that name will not resolve (unless you run a DNS server on your LAN).

Thanks so much for the help! very easy with your directions. I wasn't able to use the link murphy provided but your directions were easy. I added the mac address in my "Static DHCP" table and gave it the same IP it was already assigned. This way it never changes. I can now access it just like I do the router. I'm happy.

Now, do I need to forward any ports so the ooma device can get out? I can manually add them since my ooma is behind my router.
#45876 by amoney
Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:37 pm
ladysman wrote:
amoney wrote:

Thanks so much for the help! very easy with your directions. I wasn't able to use the link murphy provided but your directions were easy. I added the mac address in my "Static DHCP" table and gave it the same IP it was already assigned. This way it never changes. I can now access it just like I do the router. I'm happy.

Now, do I need to forward any ports so the ooma device can get out? I can manually add them since my ooma is behind my router.

Its easy to misunderstand on forums, specific wording is critical, I actually edited my post x2 to avoid any confusion. I even forgot to mention using a static but you picked up on that automatically.

As far as anything else, if it works your good to go. There are other routers such as Motorola gateway and 2Wire gateway that have additional firewall blocking rules that have been known to cause issues.