Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45693 by JamRowZ
Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:18 pm
We only have one phone/DSL jack and I'm setting Ooma up as a stand-alone, not with the land-line which I will cancel after our number is ported.

I got the Hub/Scout since we plan to just use basic and it seemed that that would be less buggy and it would be more useful to have the caller ID with name.

I originally thought I wouldn't connect the scout at all, but I realized (I think) that with basic voicemail, we will need to check our voicemail on either a hub or a scout. Since we don't have a second phone jack in our apartment and use line splitters throughout to get phone service in each room, can I just put the scout when I want my "answering machine" in line with the phone that's currently at that spot?

I.e.

Hub > line splitter > long cord > Scout > phone

The Hub is next to our modem/router which is inaccessible most of the time.

Thanks for helping me get set up!
#45706 by southsound
Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:57 pm
JamRowZ wrote:We only have one phone/DSL jack and I'm setting Ooma up as a stand-alone, not with the land-line which I will cancel after our number is ported.

I got the Hub/Scout since we plan to just use basic and it seemed that that would be less buggy and it would be more useful to have the caller ID with name.

I originally thought I wouldn't connect the scout at all, but I realized (I think) that with basic voicemail, we will need to check our voicemail on either a hub or a scout. Since we don't have a second phone jack in our apartment and use line splitters throughout to get phone service in each room, can I just put the scout when I want my "answering machine" in line with the phone that's currently at that spot?

I.e.

Hub > line splitter > long cord > Scout > phone

The Hub is next to our modem/router which is inaccessible most of the time.

Thanks for helping me get set up!

The scout connects to the hub from the wall ports and uses a networking protocol called HPNA. It does not play nice with DSL but it sounds like you are already powering other phones from your hub using the second (clean) pair of your apartment's phone cable. You CAN combine the wall and phone ports of the hub using a single line splitter - if the line is clean from DSL. Then just plug the scout into another room's phone jack using the same two line splitter you use for a phone. Plug the phone into the scout's phone port.

Also, be aware that if you use phones (either corded or cordless) with the hub your voicemail lights will light when you have a message. Just dial your ooma number and it will take you to voicemail. No scout required.

Yes, you can check voicemail by logging into my.ooma.com .

And welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
#45707 by JamRowZ
Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 pm
Now I'm more confused. There's only one phone jack in my entire apartment. At the moment it's a land line (which I plan to drop) and DSL. It currently has a line splitter where one end goes to my DSL modem/router and then ooma and the other end goes to a phone cable that has multiple splitters and goes to various corded and cordless phones in my apartment. I don't have voicemail lights on my phones and want to use the scout the way I'd use an answering machine. I guess I can just try hooking it up tomorrow and see what happens, but if there's something else I should do then I'd like to know.
#45718 by murphy
Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:13 am
Connect the single wall jack to your DSL modem.
Connect a phone cable from the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout.
Connect a phone to the phone port of the hub.
Connect a second phone to the phone port of the scout.
In both cases the phone that you connect can be the base for a cordless phone system.
You can also use splitters to connect multiple phones to the hub and/or scout.
Do NOT connect the phone ports of the hub and scout together.
#45747 by southsound
Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:50 am
JamRowZ wrote:Now I'm more confused. There's only one phone jack in my entire apartment.

Sorry that I confused the situation more. I mis-read your post and assumed that when you said you were using splitters you were using them at each of several jacks to access the second line wiring. I don't think I've ever seen an appartment with only ONE phone jack so I was not reading correctly. Murphy has given some good advice regarding connecting the scout - but it sounds like you are a prime candidate for a multiple handset cordless system and the scout may be unneeded. I bought my Uniden DECT 6.0 five handset system from Staples for just $75 on sale. If you are not going to use premier, this might be a great option to eliminate ALL of the extra splitters and wires running along the wall, under rugs, etc. Remember, you can easily see if you have voicemail at all of the handsets and retreiving vooicemail is as simple as speed dialing your own number from any phone.