Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45632 by Compfan03
Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:27 pm
Using speedtest.net to test internet speed, the speed is slower when Ooma and router are connected vs when cable modem is directly connected to computer. Is there any way to check and see whether it is the router or Ooma that is slowing internet connectio?. Are there any Ooma or router settings which will speed up internet connection? Thanks.
#45638 by dtalwar
Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:12 pm
The best way would be to eliminate devices one by one. Try the speedtest without Ooma and the router. Then with just one of the devices- try Ooma and and then try your router. What router are you using?
#45639 by DTMF
Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:14 pm
The Ooma is using bandwidth on your Internet connection, so it's not unreasonable that it would be a bit slower. Perhaps if you post your two readings, others can chime in with how their with Ooma/without Ooma bandwidth readings compare to yours?
#45746 by Compfan03
Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:48 am
Good advice. I will test with Ooma connected directly to computer and not to router.
Upload speeds are:
Cable modem straight to computer: 6.5 mps
Cable modem to Ooma and then to router: 4.2 mps

Router is old and needs to be replaced.
So test for Ooma without router and also with new router is next.

Looking to purchase N router that has a usb connection for external hard drive. Are there any recommendations?
#45837 by ladysman
Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:48 pm
Compfan03 wrote:Good advice. I will test with Ooma connected directly to computer and not to router.
Upload speeds are:
Cable modem straight to computer: 6.5 mps
Cable modem to Ooma and then to router: 4.2 mps

Router is old and needs to be replaced.
So test for Ooma without router and also with new router is next.

Looking to purchase N router that has a usb connection for external hard drive. Are there any recommendations?

I can't recommend enough the Asus RT-N16 flashed with the tomato firmware. The stock firmware is "OK" but i never use stock firmwares. :D

The problem you will have is possibly finding them. Newegg is out and won't have them for a while.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320038

the RT-N16 meets all of your criteria and has 2 USB's and gigabit ethernet.

Edit, looks like amazon has it.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-N16-Wirel ... 194&sr=8-1