Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45594 by Craig
Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:08 am
I've read postings here regarding setup, and I thought I've done it correctly, but I can't get our dyndns account to work. My setup (for now) is Modem -> Ooma -> Router. I have pppoe set up on the ooma, DHCP set for 172.27.35.10 for both start and end addresses, then added 172.27.35.10 to the DMZ. Now in the router (Linksys WRT160N) I have it set for a static IP of 172.27.35.10. I haven't changed anything else, and I didn't think I would have to. All the other port forwards work fine, it's just the dyndns that isn't working. I am running dyndns updater on my computer, and have verified that it is updating the correct address. I'm trying to access our security cameras remotely. When I go to our dyndns page from within the network, it takes me to the ooma setup page. When I try it from outside the network, it won't connect to anything, it just times out. I'd like to have ooma doing the qos if possible - but I'll have to let the router handle it if I can't get this working. Any suggestions?
Craig
#45596 by murphy
Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:21 am
Change the router to Dynamic DHCP. The whole point of setting the start and end addresses in ooma to the same value was to force the router to take that address.
#45599 by Craig
Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:44 am
Did that, restarted everything, no change. Still can't get dyndns to go. Attached is a screenshot of how I have it set up on my router. I'm assuming this is right, as it worked before.
Craig
Attachments
2-6-2010 9-29-02 AM.png
2-6-2010 9-29-02 AM.png (16.36 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
#45603 by hurl03
Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:07 am
Craig wrote:I've read postings here regarding setup, and I thought I've done it correctly, but I can't get our dyndns account to work. My setup (for now) is Modem -> Ooma -> Router. I have pppoe set up on the ooma, DHCP set for 172.27.35.10 for both start and end addresses, then added 172.27.35.10 to the DMZ. Now in the router (Linksys WRT160N) I have it set for a static IP of 172.27.35.10. I haven't changed anything else, and I didn't think I would have to. All the other port forwards work fine, it's just the dyndns that isn't working. I am running dyndns updater on my computer, and have verified that it is updating the correct address. I'm trying to access our security cameras remotely. When I go to our dyndns page from within the network, it takes me to the ooma setup page. When I try it from outside the network, it won't connect to anything, it just times out. I'd like to have ooma doing the qos if possible - but I'll have to let the router handle it if I can't get this working. Any suggestions?
Craig


who is your ISP?
#45611 by murphy
Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 am
Why are you forwarding DNS to the computer / device at IP address 2?

Do a

http://whatismyip.com

and compare the result with the IP address for your URL at DynDNS.com.

If they aren't the same, that is the first problem.
#45613 by Craig
Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:50 am
I'm forwarding DNS to a security camera system with a web page interface at address 2. (Set up with a static IP). I used to be able to use dyndns to access the cameras - but not any more. I've checked whatismyip and it matches what dyndns.com has. It just seems that ooma is somehow interfering, but I can't figure out how.
Craig
#45615 by murphy
Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:58 am
Craig wrote:I'm forwarding DNS to a security camera system with a web page interface at address 2. (Set up with a static IP). I used to be able to use dyndns to access the cameras - but not any more. I've checked whatismyip and it matches what dyndns.com has. It just seems that ooma is somehow interfering, but I can't figure out how.
Craig

When you set a static IP address on a device you also have to program that device with the mask, the gateway address (usually the LAN side IP address of your router), and a DNS server (again, the LAN side IP address of your router for any modern router).
By forwarding the DNS port to IP address 2, you are preventing DNS responses from reaching any other device on your network.

Static IP addressing is usually a bad idea. See if your router has static reservation capability where you configure a specific IP address to be issued to a specific MAC address. It achieves the same result as a static IP address but automatically assigns the gateway, mask, and DNS server to the device.
#45754 by Craig
Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:33 am
Okay, I worked on this all day yesterday. I took your advice and removed all the static IP's from the network and used DHCP reservation based on MAC address - thanks for the tip. I even got the security cameras working that way. In any case, I removed the ooma from the system completely so I could test the dyndns going to the security cameras. It used to work on port 80, but not any more - but I got it going on a different port. Then I installed the ooma behind the router; dyndns still worked, but the QoS on the router just wasn't cutting it at all. So now I put the ooma in front of the router; QoS works great, but dyndns doesn't work any more. I'm trying to access <site>.dyndns.org:port and it seems as though the ooma is stripping the :port from the request. Any suggestions?
Craig
#45757 by murphy
Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:47 am
Craig wrote:Okay, I worked on this all day yesterday. I took your advice and removed all the static IP's from the network and used DHCP reservation based on MAC address - thanks for the tip. I even got the security cameras working that way. In any case, I removed the ooma from the system completely so I could test the dyndns going to the security cameras. It used to work on port 80, but not any more - but I got it going on a different port. Then I installed the ooma behind the router; dyndns still worked, but the QoS on the router just wasn't cutting it at all. So now I put the ooma in front of the router; QoS works great, but dyndns doesn't work any more. I'm trying to access <site>.dyndns.org:port and it seems as though the ooma is stripping the :port from the request. Any suggestions?
Craig


I was not aware that DynDNS provided private URLs using their main web site address.
Mine is on

site.homeip.net

If you are trying that from inside of your network, that gets into the problem of whether or not your router handles loopback processing correctly. Ooma does not support loopback at all.

The best way to test is from a computer outside of your network.

Some ISPs block port 80 on a residential account because they usually prohibit hosting a server on a residential account.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests