Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45462 by Kurt
Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:27 pm
I'm sure these questions are lame, but still will appreciate your time.

1. According to my DSL provider (DSL Extreme) I have to keep my AT&T phone service. At least I should be able to cancel the long distance service. So does this mean I don't have to port my telephone number to OOMA?

2. I plugged my local phone line (from At&T) into the back of the OOMA Telo. What exactly does this do for me? I read something about 911, but also noticed that when the OOMA is unplugged (ie power failure) I don't get a dial tone.

3. When a person keeps their local phone service, do all calls go out the OOMA system, or just long distance? By this I mean local toll calls.
#45464 by southsound
Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:43 pm
Kurt wrote:I'm sure these questions are lame, but still will appreciate your time.

1. According to my DSL provider (DSL Extreme) I have to keep my AT&T phone service. At least I should be able to cancel the long distance service. So does this mean I don't have to port my telephone number to OOMA?

2. I plugged my local phone line (from At&T) into the back of the OOMA Telo. What exactly does this do for me? I read something about 911, but also noticed that when the OOMA is unplugged (ie power failure) I don't get a dial tone.

3. When a person keeps their local phone service, do all calls go out the OOMA system, or just long distance? By this I mean local toll calls.

First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum. I'll try to take your questions one at a time as you have numbered them.

1. You should be able to have ATT "dry loop" your DSL service. What this means is that they will cancel your landline and assign a new internal number for the DSL service. Note that it may cost more for just DSL that it does for DSL with a basic landline. Telephone companies like to do this to build revenue.

2. / 3. There is no purpose for plugging the landline into your Telo unless you have asked ooma to configure your Telo to integrate the landline. What this would mean is all incoming and local/911 outgoing would go out over your landline and only long distance would go over ooma. In my opinion, there is no benefit to this and actually it causes loss of some features. I recommend against it. If you want a really great fallback in case of power failure, keep your landline but just have it connected to a corded phone so you can use it in emergencies. Remember that most cordless phones go dead when the power goes out. If you want to keep your old number, just have call forwarding enabled on the landline and forward all calls to your ooma number.

Bonus answer: If you have DSL you can still power many phones in your home from the Telo. The phone jack on the Telo can be connected to a multiple handset cordless base or to a clean pair of wires in your phone cabling. We can talk more about that if you would like to extend the ooma dialtone throughout the house.

I hope this answers most of your questions!
#45482 by Kurt
Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 pm
Hey, thanks for your quick response. I think I'm starting to get it. I never heard of dry loop DSL before today, I'll have to call the phone company to see what they can do. I also learned that if I unplug the AT&T wire from the Telo I can still make outgoing calls but incoming calls just ring forever (using my cellphone to test). So I need to keep the landline plugged into the Ooma unless I port the number someday.

So far from what I can tell, the advantage of keeping the landline is (1) saving the immediate cost of $40 to port to Ooma, but this will be offset in a few months by the continuing phone bill, (2) having fallback local or long distance connectivity should my internet go down (which is rare), (3) the 911 will work as always, though I thought I read someplace that OOMA can address this????, and (4) as you suggested, put a splitter in the incoming line and run one to the Ooma and the other to a legacy non-cordless phone then backup in the event of power failure.

I can also see that my outgoing calls are documented in the My Ooma phone logs. Does this mean that all the logged outgoing calls went through the Ooma?