Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#2617 by rkeith
Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:56 am
I've been using Ooma for about 2 weeks and I like it. I kept my land line and now I want to disconnect my land line and call forward to Ooma until I can get the land line number switched to Ooma.
When I disconnect the land line, Ooma won't work. Any suggestions as to how to disable the land line?
Thanks
#2618 by Rod
Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:02 am
6628404322 wrote:I've been using Ooma for about 2 weeks and I like it. I kept my land line and now I want to disconnect my land line and call forward to Ooma until I can get the land line number switched to Ooma.
When I disconnect the land line, Ooma won't work. Any suggestions as to how to disable the land line?
Thanks

My understanding is during the initial setup the choice you make with regards to porting or not porting a phone number affects how your hub/scout is configured in the "mother ship." You'll probably need to call Ooma directly for assistance on having this changed. Please note that if you do change the setup then you probably also will not be able to have Ooma port your number to their system.

I am not happy with the amount of time the port process takes. I will have to continue paying my local teleco until after the port is done to cancel my account. I have my land line connecting into my hub and will leave it like that until the port is complete. The port process probably involves more then just the teleco database update of where the number should "ring" and also a configuration change of the "mother ship" to tell it and my hub how it is now configured. Ie., over the internet, no land line, etc.

My two cents only.
Rod
#2628 by av8rdude
Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:01 pm
Since you choose to use your landline with ooma during the initial setup...you will have to call them to change it.

I did just what you are suggesting....I set call forwarding on my old line to my new temporary ooma number. Then I set my ooma system up. It has worked great for 3 weeks while waiting on the port to complete.

Scott