Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45186 by Lora
Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:35 am
I had the phone company split my internet line about 3-4 weeks ago from my phone line as Ooma instructed.
Last week or so I got an email from Ooma, saying "Keep in mind that if you have DSL on the same number that you
requested to port, you will lose your internet connection when your number is ported. Ooma will not work without a broadband connection, so this is a friendly reminder to insure you do not experience down time."

I called the phone company to be sure I had broadband and not DSL. They said I had DSL, but it's essentially the same as broadband and far more advanced. Since this was the first I heard I had to have broadband, I dropped the ball here and didn't go any further, thinking it was a mistake in the email. Bad move. As of this morning, no internet or phone. Now what?
#45188 by Groundhound
Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:44 am
Lora wrote:I had the phone company split my internet line about 3-4 weeks ago from my phone line as Ooma instructed.
Last week or so I got an email from Ooma, saying "Keep in mind that if you have DSL on the same number that you
requested to port, you will lose your internet connection when your number is ported. Ooma will not work without a broadband connection, so this is a friendly reminder to insure you do not experience down time."

I called the phone company to be sure I had broadband and not DSL. They said I had DSL, but it's essentially the same as broadband and far more advanced. Since this was the first I heard I had to have broadband, I dropped the ball here and didn't go any further, thinking it was a mistake in the email. Bad move. As of this morning, no internet or phone. Now what?

DSL is a type of boadband. Cable and fiber Internet services are also broadband types. Broadband generally refers to Internet service that is not dialup. You need to call your phone company and get your DSL account reestablished as a "dry loop" with no phone service.
#45190 by Lora
Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:02 am
Thank you for your quick response! I know I used the words "dry loop" when I talked to the phone company. But since I have DSL, won't I still have this problem. Or is the fact that it's a "type of broadband", be the thing that saves the day?
#45195 by caseybea
Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:03 am
A long time ago, the only real way for people to connect to the internet was with a dial-up modem. Services like AOL, etc. Somewhere along the way, really-fast connections became available to the general public, via either DSL or Cable. The generic term "Broadband" was created that essentially describes "either cable or DSL, 'cause it's really fast".

You have DSL, DSL = broadband. (or if you had cable, cable = broadband too!).

In other words, ooma voice over IP requires a really fast internet connection to work.
#45199 by Lora
Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:22 am
I've been chatting with the phone company. Seems they mistakenly disconnected the internet when they dropped the phone line. Should be back up by Saturday night. Asked for compensation and they said they'd give me a month free. Hopefully they'll do their job right this time.
#45276 by amoney
Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:13 pm
Yes, broadband is just a generalized term. There are many types of broadband such as DSL, Cable, even certain types of wireless (not to be confused with local wifi).
#45284 by Lora
Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:30 pm
I guess what caused my confusion was Ooma using the terms "broadband" and "DSL" interchangeably, stating that Ooma wouldn't work with broadband. I think I'm on my way to free phone service now. Thank you.