Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45041 by AZGuyJoe
Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:25 am
My Internet connection was acting up this morning and I powered my modem down to reboot it.
While the modem was off I picked up my phone and I got the ooma dialtone (the music followed by a normal dialtone).
Huh? How/why does my phone work if it's connected to ooma (no, my landline isn't integrated or shouldn't be).
I have a hub/scout. My phone (a Uniden wireless base station) is plugged into a scout; that number is dedicated to the scout. A fax line is plugged into the hub's phone port (dedicated to the hub) and a line is plugged into the hub's wall port.
When I first intalled ooma I integrated my landline. But, I later called customer service and had them undo that. When I call out, the other phone gets the ooma number for a caller id (when it was integrated they got my landline number).

If I go to ooma setup I see the following:
Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected
Phone Line: Connected

Ooma Services

Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled
Voice Mail: Enabled

So, how am I getting ooma phone service with the modem unplugged?
#45055 by murphy
Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:35 am
It takes up to 2 minutes for the Ooma box to notice that it's internet connection has gone away. It's not in continuous communication with the server when a call is not in progress. That would waste a lot of unnecessary bandwidth.
#45089 by amoney
Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:13 pm
You can get the Ooma dial tone but the call will not go through if your internet connection is down (no landline integration).