Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#44752 by Mehdron
Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:01 pm
I have a question about hooking up my Scout given my wiring topology.

I'm new to Ooma today. I went for the Hub/Scout rather than the Telo due to the concerns about the Telo handsets.

I am disappointed by the lack of explanation in the Ooma documentation as to exactly how the thing works over the wires so that those of us who have something different than the basic configurations in the User Guide can figure out what to do.

In my case, I have a wiring closet in the basement where both the outside Qwest phone line and the Comcast cable service comes in (hence, no DSL). All of the telephone and ethernet jacks in the house are home-run to the closet using Cat5. I'm using my telco landline service for the time being, at least until I gain some experience and confidence with the Ooma service. I haven't yet decided whether we will get Premiere service or not.

My Ooma Hub is hooked up between my cable modem and router. I discovered that I had to disconnect my Qwest service from the punch-down block and hook it directly up to the Wall jack on the Hub (this was not at all clear from the documentation but I inferred what to do after perusing the forums for a while). I have the Phone jack on the Hub connected to the punch-down block to enable all the phones in the house to get the Ooma dialtone.

With the Hub out of the way in the basement closet and being undecided about Premeire, I have not activated the Ooma Broadband Answering Machine and am continuing to use my old standalone answering machine.

Question: the telephone line topology that they assume in the Quick Start and User Guides has the Scout being on the house wiring which is connected to the Wall port on the Hub. My house wiring is connected instead to the Phone port on the Hub. Should I decide to go with Premiere service and want to use the Broadband Answering Machine and Instant Second Line features, how would I hook up the Scout? Will it work on the house wiring which is hooked up to the Phone port on the Hub?

In the meantime the Scout sits in its box for a possible sale on Ebay.

Thanks in advance for your help.
#44760 by Groundhound
Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:22 pm
Mehdron wrote:Question: the telephone line topology that they assume in the Quick Start and User Guides has the Scout being on the house wiring which is connected to the Wall port on the Hub. My house wiring is connected instead to the Phone port on the Hub. Should I decide to go with Premiere service and want to use the Broadband Answering Machine and Instant Second Line features, how would I hook up the Scout? Will it work on the house wiring which is hooked up to the Phone port on the Hub?

Since there's no DSL involved, the HPNA signal between the Hub and Scout Wall ports can share the same wire pair as the Phone port from the Hub, by means of a simple splitter like the one that came with your Ooma. At the Scout end you will not need a splitter as you will plug the phone into the Scout's Phone port.
#44866 by FloridaJohn
Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:08 pm
Or, you can run the signal to the Scout over a "line 2" pair. Then put the Scout anywhere in your house you want, but connect it to line 2. That's what I did in my house and it seems to be working pretty good.
#44888 by tommies
Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:27 pm
Groundhound wrote:
Mehdron wrote:Question: the telephone line topology that they assume in the Quick Start and User Guides has the Scout being on the house wiring which is connected to the Wall port on the Hub. My house wiring is connected instead to the Phone port on the Hub. Should I decide to go with Premiere service and want to use the Broadband Answering Machine and Instant Second Line features, how would I hook up the Scout? Will it work on the house wiring which is hooked up to the Phone port on the Hub?

Since there's no DSL involved, the HPNA signal between the Hub and Scout Wall ports can share the same wire pair as the Phone port from the Hub, by means of a simple splitter like the one that came with your Ooma. At the Scout end you will not need a splitter as you will plug the phone into the Scout's Phone port.

Since the OP have intergrated land line, I'm not recommend this set up. I'd put a full duplex splitter at the WALL port, one jack is for the Qwest land line, and the other for connect to Line 2 of the house wiring for connecting the scout(as the above post said.)

Remember, when one want to feed the house wiring with ooma dial tone, the line has to disconnected from the telco network. So line 1 will carry ooma dial tone, line 2 has Qwest tone and HPNA signal for the scout. I'd put a DSL filter/micro filter on the Qwest side of the duplex to prevent HPNA signal to travel back to Qwest network.
#47693 by dee7002
Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm
Hi,
I just hooked up my ooma today with DSL wireless integrated modem/router. I would like to know what a "PUNCH BLOCK" is and what to do to get all of my phones in the house to be getting the ooma dial tone without having to buy scouts for each of my plain old telephones (not cordless, not needing electrical plug ins).

Also, I have Qwest DSL now, but am thinking of switching to Comcast cable for Internet. Any body have an opinion about what the differences might be, if any?

Thanks,
#47702 by amoney
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 pm
dee7002 wrote:Hi,
I just hooked up my ooma today with DSL wireless integrated modem/router. I would like to know what a "PUNCH BLOCK" is and what to do to get all of my phones in the house to be getting the ooma dial tone without having to buy scouts for each of my plain old telephones (not cordless, not needing electrical plug ins).

Also, I have Qwest DSL now, but am thinking of switching to Comcast cable for Internet. Any body have an opinion about what the differences might be, if any?

Thanks,

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... hone-jacks

BUT becuase you have DSL, you will have to stay away from that "pair" line1. You can use line spliters referred to as A/B, so you dont have to mess with the wiring. Note you should make sure the pair line2 is disconnected at the "DMARK" where the telco lines come in to connect to the home wiring.