Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#44446 by leejosepho
Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm
Greetings to all ... and I need some help!

Over the past couple of hours I have connected and updated my new Telo, and it is working fine. However, I had to lower my Westell 327W's firewall setting in order to do that. Now I want to increase my firewall setting, but I know nothing at all about "port forwarding". I have no problem with going into the modem's configuration utility and making some changes, but I do not know what changes to make.

Is anyone here able and willing to help?

I thank you!

Joseph Lee
#44558 by DougInAZ
Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:51 am
When I setup my ooma hub last June, I had a lot of trouble getting it to work with the firewall in my Motorola SBG900 modem.
There used to be a page in the knowledge base about Service Ports required by ooma, but it was incorrect as well as incomplete. I finally received what was the correct list at the time and posted it at http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1215&p=10014&hilit=sbg900#p10002

It is interesting that the list referenced above contains one additional port, but doesn't contain the ports at 49000-50000. Also, the list provided by ooma specified the direction requirements, which if not important is at least another source of error. I don't know what is really required and the page that dealt with service ports seems to have been removed from the knowledge base. Lately I've been just shutting off my firewall to see if my other issues with the cable-service/ooma changes. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any difference between when I use the list I posted earlier and no firewall.
The next time I turn the firewall on, I'm going to go with the list provided by Groundhound and see how it goes.
#44567 by Groundhound
Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:37 am
DougInAZ wrote:
The next time I turn the firewall on, I'm going to go with the list provided by Groundhound and see how it goes.

The list I posted in the link above was from the old knowledge base article, IIRC. I have it set in my Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware, but I haven't seen any difference with the port forwarding on or off with Tomato. Then again I really haven't spent much time testing with it off. Since port 80 is not one of the ports being forwarded, there's no security risk so I've left it in place as a precaution.
#44577 by leejosepho
Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:44 am
DougInAZ wrote:Lately I've been just shutting off my firewall to see if my other issues with the cable-service/ooma changes ...

Yesterday I had some occasional noise on the line while talking with my brother 1500 miles away -- QoS problem? -- but that might not be what you mean there.

I greatly appreciate the responses, and I will eventually learn how to do all of this! Here are two of my choices for firewall settings in my 327W. Ooma works just fine with "low", but I hope to work out the port forwarding in such a way as to use "medium". At the moment, "medium" will let me dial out but will not let a call come in.

Typical Security (Medium)

The medium security setting only allows basic Internet functionality by default, just like High level security. Medium security, however, allows customization through Port Forwarding configuration so certain traffic can pass.

Minimum Security (Low)

The low security setting will allow all traffic except for known attacks. With low, your modem is visible by other computers on the Internet.
#44580 by murphy
Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:48 am
Unless your firewall is set up to block outgoing ports, there is no need for any port forwarding for Ooma.

I have a Telo and a hub behind my router and have no port forwarding in place for them and the DMZ is disabled.
They both work fine.

Whenever a local device connects to an external server it tells that server what port to use for it's answer. A properly operating firewall will open that port for incoming traffic automatically for the duration of the connection.
#44609 by leejosepho
Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:20 am
murphy wrote:Unless your firewall is set up to block outgoing ports, there is no need for any port forwarding for Ooma ...

Maybe that is my problem, but I know so little here!

My 327W is a modem-router combo, and one of its connectors can be configured as a WAN port. However, it is presently set as a regular connector, like for a computer, and that is where my Ooma Telo is connected. Then, I have one computer connected at the modem's port 2, and I also have a computer connected at the Telo's "Home" port ... and everything (including the Telo) works fine there as long as the modem's firewall is set to "low": "all traffic except for known attacks".

The thing I need to figure out and overcome is the matter of the Telo being bothered when a higher firewall setting "only allows basic Internet functionality by default (but can be customized for port forwarding)".
#44626 by DougInAZ
Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:07 pm
When I had trouble with the firewall in my cable modem, ooma would not work correctly on any of the "high/medium/low" security settings in the modem. I had to either turn off the firewall or create a custom profile, which I ended up doing.

The original knowledge base page only listed inbound ports and was worthless for my hardware. The port list eventually provided by ooma worked well as it specified additional ports and listed the direction, which was important unless I left it open both directions.

The problem I alluded to in my first post is the modem getting hung up periodically and having to reboot it in order to restore connectivity. That has nothing to do with the firewall as I turned it off for an extended time and it was no better. I am working to sort it out, but it appears to be a combination of my cable service and sensitivity of my modem to what ever the cable is doing. I'm not 100% convinced that ooma is not contributing to the mess, but between swapping modems and turning off ooma, and possibly moving ooma to my neighbors, I hope to get a handle on it.