Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#44254 by larrys1
Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:25 pm
I tried hooking up my Ooma behind my router just for fun and began experiencing issues with the other party not being able to hear me and blinking red Oooma logo, etc. I ran pingtest.com and found I was dropping packets consitently around 60%. So, I reconnected Telo between modem and router and also set upload speed to match. I ran pingtest several times again and 0% packet loss! Quality is super excellent and no more dropped calls or not being able to hear me and no blinking red Telo. Think I'lle leave well enough alone.
#44260 by hpepper
Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:53 pm
When I put the Telo behind my router Modem > Router > Telo and I set the QOS on the Ooma port on the router to high priority, I get great results... but then, if it works to have the Telo in front, might as well leave it that way... then the Telo is doing QOS and reserving the bandwidth for you.
#44304 by Karl in NY
Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 pm
I just installed the Telo last weekend for my first experience with Ooma...

I have lots of network "stuff"...eight network security cams, two file servers, two laptops, one desktop...so, there was no way the Ooma Telo was going between the cable modem and my router (Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato 1.25, with port-forwarding on all cams).

Bottom line: everybody is playing nice with each other, with the Telo behind the router. QOS was disabled in the Telo, but enabled in the router, static DHCP in the router assigns a fixed IP address to Telo...voice quality is better than landline even when recording all cams (and downloading occasional p*rn via bit torrent)...

Maybe this is just beginner's luck on my part...I need to have Ooma survive for four months for me to break-even financially, but I really hope their business-model is sustainable. I do have my doubts, though.
#44396 by southsound
Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:47 am
Karl in NY wrote:Maybe this is just beginner's luck on my part...I need to have Ooma survive for four months for me to break-even financially, but I really hope their business-model is sustainable. I do have my doubts, though.

Karl, first off, welcome to ooma and to the forums. We're glad that things worked out so well. Many of us use the configuration you have chosen have have had great results.

As far as the stability and sustainability of the ooma business model. I will reach my 1 year anniversary of firing up my hub/scout next week. I had some echo problems in the beginning and read every post on the forum trying to figure things out myself. In that process I discovered a lot of similar thoughts about long term viability. I worked with ooma engineers and several weeks later my service turned from bad to stellar. I have been so happy with the company that I now also have a Telo and Lifetime Premier. I think you will be safe with your investment for many, many years!