Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#44155 by mantry
Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:13 pm
Howdy, Just purchased a TELO.

I currently have it hooked up like:

MODEM-------SWITCH------WRT54G Wireless
|
|
TELO

The DSL modem is a 2wire 2700HG that is connected to the phone line, my SWITCH for the house is plugged into one of the 4 ports on the back of DSL modem.

My first try was to connect the TELO to one of the hardwire ports on the WRT54G and never got past the Flashing Blue OOMA even after about an hour.

I then drug it downstairs into the server room and connected it like:

MODEM -----TELO------SWITCH-----WRT54G

It seemed to behave differently and after about an hour the only lights were the 4 across the bottom, blinking in a scrolling sequence left to right. Also in this configuration I was NOT able to access the internet from any of my computers and was NOT able to ping the MODEM (10.0.0.1)

So, I unplugged and connected it like the first picture above:
MODEM---------SWITCH------WRT54G
|
|
TELO

It comes up right away, with 1 & 2 Blue and then they go out and then the 4 lights on the bottom flink in a scrolling left to right sequence and stays that way. The internet functions OK on the computers.

If I look at the LAN DEVICE LIST on the MODEM there are 11 devices from All in 1 printers, to computers to SLINGBOX's etc.
based on the MAC address I can see that the TELO got an IP address of 10.0.0.55 which is the DHCP pool that the modem is handing out. I can PING that IP address but if I try to open a broswer to that IP it does not connect.

The 2wire 2700HG seems to be a pretty robust and powerful modem. The way I have it configured is WIRELESS aned USB turned off, Static IP of 10.0.0.1. A DHCP pool starting with 10.0.0.50 and then doing some port forwarding for RDP to a couple of computers. I have not done any DMZ'ing or anything else, that I recall.

Any suggestions or help with this device? I really hope that I don't get so frustrated trying to get it to work that it goes in the box and back to COSTCO.

Thanks in advance.
#44158 by mantry
Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 pm
Oh, let me add in the:

MODEM-------SWITCH------WRT54G
|
TELO

There is nothing plugged into the HOME NETWORK port on the TELO, there is only the cable from the TELO's "TO INTERNET" port that is plugged into a port on the MODEM and a simple phone set plugged into the TELO's "PHONE" port and then of course the power plug is plugged in.
#44187 by mantry
Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:54 am
I did another quick test this morning and plugged my laptop into the "HOME NETWORK" jack of the TELO and let it DHCP an IP address. I then was able to connect to http://172.27.35.1 and get to the OOMA setup.

I just grabbed a copy of all the setup pages and will include them below. It looks to me like the OOMA itself is a router. I'm sure what is complexing things is the fact that my DSL MODEM is also a router built in. On the HOME side of my DSL Modem/Router I have it running in a 10.0.0.x subnet and have a few of my computers setup for static IP addresses in the 10.0.0.1-49 range and then the DSL Modem/Router is also DHCP'ing a pool of addresses starting with 10.0.0.50.

I'm thinking that it is going to be possible to get this up and running but may just have to do some hand configuring. I did capture a thread in this forum about manually configuring but haven't had time to study it much.

Here are the SETUP pages I was able to grab from the TELO. The lights on the front of the device are just the 4 lights on the bottom flashing in sequence left to right.

Any comments or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Home

Your ooma Network is Initializing, please wait...
Internet: Detecting...
Ooma Core: Detecting...
Phone Line: Detecting...
Ooma Services
Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled
Voice Mail: Enabled

Network Settings

Network Connection:

PPPoE Options
Username:

Password:

Service Name: (optional)

Static IP Options
IP Address: . . .

Netmask: . . .

DNS Server 1: . . .

DNS Server 2: . . .

Router Address: . . .

MODEM Port MAC Address
Automatic: 00:18:61:04:70:29

Use Built in: 00:18:61:04:70:29

Use Custom: : : : : :

HOME Port MAC Address
Built in: 00:18:61:04:70:28

Advanced Settings

Home Port
IP Address: . . .

Netmask: . . .

DHCP Configuration
Start Address: . . .

End Address: . . .

DMZ
DMZ Address: . . .

Quality Of Service (?)

Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): (0 to disable)

Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): (0 to disable)

Port Forwarding
Rule Ports Type Forwarded To

None

Device Status - Rev: 1.33326

Network
MODEM: Connected : [10.0.0.55]
HOME: Connected : [172.27.35.1]
Ooma Tunnel: Connected
Services
Telephony: Status unavailable !
DNS: 394 - Running
Web Server: 396 - Running
VPN: 665 - Running
Free: 219232

Ports

HOME Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:04:70:28
inet addr:172.27.35.1 Bcast:172.27.35.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:749 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:497 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:84111 (82.1 KiB) TX bytes:154305 (150.6 KiB)
Interrupt:55

MODEM Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:04:70:29
inet addr:10.0.0.55 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:33933 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:79767 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:8970679 (8.5 MiB) TX bytes:15951945 (15.2 MiB)
Interrupt:53
#44222 by mantry
Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:54 am
I started out with:
DSL Modem/Router ------SWITCH-------WRT54G---OOMA

and never got more than 1 hour of the flashing blue OOMA light. That is when I decided to move it as close to the DSL Modem/Router as I could. That way, I finally got it to do something.

Right now as you can see the OOMA has gotten an IP address from the DSL Modem/Router
Network
MODEM: Connected : [10.0.0.55] <----------------------------
HOME: Connected : [172.27.35.1]
Ooma Tunnel: Connected

So at this point I would think that it wouldn't matter where it is hooked in the network.

Also worth noting, the WRT54G is not acting as a router, it is acting as a wireless access point.
#44226 by murphy
Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:58 am
The tunnel is connected. That means it has a valid path to the server. It's time to have CS take a look at what is happening at their end.
#44250 by mantry
Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 pm
I called customer service and only had to wait about 10 mins for them to answer. The tech said the physical connection is correct. They said the 4 bottom lights flashing in sequence means it is still initializing, I guess that matches to what the "HOME" status screen says "Your ooma Network is Initializing, please wait..."

She put me on hold while she talked with a LEVEL 2 tech. The level 2 tech then told her, "Oh, it was a problem on their end and it should be corrected in 30-60 mins...." Ok, I'm not sure how high my confidence was in that answer based on some of the other notes I've read here.

I guess I'll give it an hour and try calling the number and see if it rings or goes right to voice mail. I'm not able to access the physical device for a couple of days.
#44253 by ntoy
Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 pm
FYI:

Ooma Service
1/28/2010 11:00 AM Pacific - Some brand new Telos that are coming up are having problems downloading the latest software update. This is causing them not to go into service. We're investigating the issue.
1/28/2010 11:50 AM Pacific - The problem with new Telos not being able to download the latest software update has been resolved.
#44284 by mantry
Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:40 pm
UPDATE:!!!!!!!!

I waited about 1 hour and called my OOMA number and it rang about 6 times before going to Voicemail. So based on that (because I'm not located where the OOMA is right now), I'm assuming that it is working OK and will have my wife check it out when she gets home.

I really hope that this is going to be a great experience, it certainly has the potential for doing so!!!!!

THANKS OOMA CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

FINAL CONFIGURATION:
DSL MODEM/ROUTER-----------SWITCH(plugged into port 4 of DSL M/R)----------WRT54G Wireless AP
|----TELO (plugged into port 3 of DSL M/R)

No changes to any of the setup on the TELO, straight out of the box.