Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#43954 by bilbro
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:52 pm
I'm considering wiring a new building for networking, including the possibility of use Ooma for phone service for up to five units. I'd like to get one high speed Internet connection and use it to support all the Ooma devices. Is this reasonable? I'm assuming I'd get a fast link, but would this work from a networking standpoint?

I expect each Ooma device would need to be on a separate subnet. Are there other considerations that might impact the original layout of the cabling?
#43961 by caseybea
Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:36 pm
Most internet services (DSL, Cable) have great download speeds, but limited UPload speeds. The upload speed is critical, and a "typical" setup, unless you have FIOS, would be too limited to support 5 Ooma's at once. (This assumes worst-case, with all 5 using them at the same time).

I have seen reports of people with "two" devices in their home (2 hubs, or a hub and a telo, or..) without any issues, but I personally believe 5 is too many for the typical home internet connection.

That's my $0.02 - I welcome other opinions. it's a good question.
#43963 by bilbro
Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:17 pm
Thanks for your thoughts. This is certainly a concern. I'm looking at a cable provider that provides either 5Mbps or even 7Mbps upload speeds (at least advertised!). I would also assume only a maximum of 3 units would ever be used at the same time.