Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#43666 by homeless
Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:23 pm
Very disapointed on Ooma!! There's no way that I can activate my new Ooma without input my CC information. The reason it bother me a lot because I didn't activate for myself but a friend instead. The friend is oversea and doesn't has any credit card. I don't wanna get involve with any bills that may applie for him in the furture. Why's Ooma doing this?
#43670 by hpepper
Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:51 pm
I believe it will be for the annual $11.75 regulatory fee beginning in the second year and there after... also, if you choose not to opt out of the Premiere option, it will automatically start after the 60 day free trial. The Ooma customer can opt out any time before the automatic Premiere option would start.
#43683 by caseybea
Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:17 pm
This only applies to the Telo, I believe. The Core (Hub+scout) which I ordered only a few weeks ago did not require me to ante up CC info ahead of time. (I did later, so that I could port..).

Only the telo requires the annual fee to help recoup the uh, 'regulatory' fees.
#43684 by amoney
Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:33 pm
hpepper wrote:I believe it will be for the annual $11.75 regulatory fee beginning in the second year and there after... also, if you choose not to opt out of the Premiere option, it will automatically start after the 60 day free trial. The Ooma customer can opt out any time before the automatic Premiere option would start.


You have to "opt" in for Premier service. After the free premier trial is over, it is canncelled if you do not manually purchase the service.
#43686 by Groundhound
Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:50 pm
amoney wrote:
hpepper wrote:I believe it will be for the annual $11.75 regulatory fee beginning in the second year and there after... also, if you choose not to opt out of the Premiere option, it will automatically start after the 60 day free trial. The Ooma customer can opt out any time before the automatic Premiere option would start.


You have to "opt" in for Premier service. After the free premier trial is over, it is canncelled if you do not manually purchase the service.

From the new T&C:
(b) Trial offers and special promotions: Ooma may offer its customers free trials of Services as special promotions from time to time. Such Services are not guaranteed and can be modified, extended, altered, or cancelled by Ooma at any time without notice. You will be notified when these Services are due to expire. Should you fail to notify Ooma of your intention to cancel the use of these Services beyond the trial period, you will be deemed to have subscribed to such Services and may be charged the associated fees for continued usage of such Services.
#43751 by homeless
Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:12 pm
Thanks guys. OK, I have another question!
Can someone tell me what is the real different between Ooma Core and Ooma Telo. According to what I can see, beside shinny and fansy, plus yearly regulary fee ($11.75)... I don't know what new Ooma Telo has that Ooma Core doesn't. Not to mention Ooma Core feel tough compare to Ooma Telo (firmsy, bearkable). Someone please gives me a reason to keep my Ooma Telo, or return it and get a Core version?
Thanks
#43752 by caseybea
Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:19 pm
The Ooma core is the original unit. It can be wired to just one phone, or multiple phones in the home (depends on how you hook it up). Ooma "scout" provides extra functionality, like one-buton voicemail where the scout is plugged in, and other things like the instant-second-line. The ooma core is no longer made.

The ooma Telo is their newer unit. The Telo does NOT have the accompanying 'scout', instead it's designed to work with special Ooma-provided digital cordless handsets. if you do not want to use the extra headsets, you can still control all regular home phones from the telo, just like the core. The telo is the current product. The newer wireless handsets ooma has essentially do everything the older 'scout' does.

The main difference is really that the "scout" functionality was replaced by "ooma cordless handset" functionality. There are mixed reviews regarding these handsets. Some people love them, some people don't...

other than that, if you're just replacing your landline with ooma, and you don't need the wireless handsets ooma provides, the functionality is essentially the same. The primary caveat is, ooma's development really focuses on the telo now. However, the core does, and should work, for a very long time (my opinion).

Oh, one more big difference (big for me, anyway). ooma core unit: comes with free caller=id-with-NAME. ooma telo: has free caller-id, but if you want the WITH-NAME component, you need to subscribe to the premium service.

Case in point: 3 weeks ago, I bought an ooma. I purposefully bought the core (and not the telo), because I saw no need to get the wireless handset stuff, and I wanted to avoid the uh, regulatory fees currently grandfathered into the core product.
#43768 by homeless
Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 pm
So now if I activate my friend Ooma Telo with my "going to expire" Credit Card, will he be able to use the service after 1 year without updating a new Credit card? Will Ooma going to brick his box? I just wanna make everything clear before I going to activate my friend's box, so he not gonna blame me after all.
#43790 by amoney
Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:16 pm
Groundhound wrote:
amoney wrote:
hpepper wrote:I believe it will be for the annual $11.75 regulatory fee beginning in the second year and there after... also, if you choose not to opt out of the Premiere option, it will automatically start after the 60 day free trial. The Ooma customer can opt out any time before the automatic Premiere option would start.


You have to "opt" in for Premier service. After the free premier trial is over, it is canncelled if you do not manually purchase the service.

From the new T&C:
(b) Trial offers and special promotions: Ooma may offer its customers free trials of Services as special promotions from time to time. Such Services are not guaranteed and can be modified, extended, altered, or cancelled by Ooma at any time without notice. You will be notified when these Services are due to expire. Should you fail to notify Ooma of your intention to cancel the use of these Services beyond the trial period, you will be deemed to have subscribed to such Services and may be charged the associated fees for continued usage of such Services.


I appreciate the heads up on the TOS, for some reason I was under a very strong impression that initial activation 60 day trial of premier would simply just end if not subscribe to. Particularly in your my.ooma account it says the premier tril will end on a certain date.

Was I the only one that misunderstood this??? Or is this another example of Ooma saying two different things.

Has anyone had Ooma automatically continue the Premier after the free trial period?
#43799 by caseybea
Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:42 pm
I may be wrong, but I think you can go into "my ooma" at any time, and UPDATE your credit card billing information....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests