Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#43576 by wrage5
Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:47 pm
I have a home office with an office telephone line where my cable internet is located. Then I have Ethernet cable running from my linksys router throughout the house. In the living room, i have a linksys wireless router.

I have a 2nd telephone line wired throughout the rest of the house, which is my home number

I would like to be able to set the hub in the office where the cable internet comes in, but if i plug into the telephone line then i am not plugging into the home line, only the office line.

I would like to be able to keep my office number, my home number and be able to use my office hp office fax/printer.

What is the the most efficient way to set this up.

I must also note that I have directtv which needs the home telephone line for updates, etc.

Please advise
#43591 by sfhub
Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:21 pm
Are you trying to move both lines to Ooma, 1 of the lines only, or make Ooma a third line?
#43607 by wrage5
Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:36 pm
Not sure if I can move both lines or not. Just want to keep office number, use fax, and then keep home number which is accessed by Directv
#43612 by sfhub
Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:20 pm
There are many different configurations possible and it depends on how you eventually want it to look.

You can port both your #s to Ooma if that is what you eventually want to do.

You can also place Ooma anywhere in your house where a network connection is available. It doesn't necessarily have to be in your office. Ooma prefers that setup with the device between your cable/dsl modem and your router because it makes it easier for them to reserve bandwidth for you phone calls. If you have your own router which does QoS, have a fast connection, or just don't use the network that intensely, you can just put Ooma behind your router just like any other device on your network and it can be configured to work well in most cases.

The simplest way to hook up the Ooma with minimal changes is to connect Ooma to an existing phone outlet. That will provide access to Ooma for all devices connected on that line. For example if you connect Ooma to your 2nd line home phone wiring, then all phones on that second line would immediately be using Ooma. Make sure you first disconnect the phone company's incoming line from the 2nd line home wiring first so it doesn't interfere.

I'd probably do something like that first so you can test your devices a little. You won't get calls on your home line's phone # while you are testing this way because it isn't connected to your home anymore, but that is just temporary while you figure out if Ooma will work well for you. Test your DirecTV and see if you can configure the dialup sequence to prepend *99 to the phone #. That is necessary if you want the Ooma connection to work reasonably with faxes or modems, the latter is what DirecTV is using.

If you determine Ooma works well for you, disconnect Ooma from the home line (reconnecting the phone company line) and connect Ooma to your office line, repeating the procedure of disconnecting the phone company line and testing your Fax and other devices.

When testing, I would pay special attention to the fax and directv. Those would probably have the most chances of not working well with Ooma, but many people have it working ok. If you plan on porting both #s, then test the Ooma Scout as well as sometimes a fax or modem might work through the hub, but not the scout.

If all works well then you can port your phone #(s) over to Ooma and once that is done (in about 3 weeks) everything should be back to normal. You can have your Hub connected to the office line feeding all devices there, and the Scout connected to the home line, feeding all devices there. You can have Ooma configured so the ported office # rings just the Hub and the ported home # rings just the Scout (or you can have either # ring all your lines)
#43614 by wrage5
Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:29 pm
So you are saying test the system on one line first. If it works well, then make the whole house including the office on one line. Connect the scout to the now home line, and have the now home number ported to the scout. Set up the hub to ring just the office #, and then the scout to ring the home #. I know there will be costs involved in porting, but with Premier maybe I would only incur 1 port fee.

The house single house line set up should not be connected to the telephone company for best results.
#43629 by sfhub
Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:53 pm
Yeah basically. There are other configurations possible depending on how much you want to switch around your setup or what your needs are so keep that in mind. During testing you might find issues you can work around with small changes to your setup and other issues might require behavioral changes.

The simplest setup is usually for those people that already have some cordless phone system and basically have one connection to the phone company to the base of the cordless phone system.

Those people just disconnect the phone company from the phone system base and connect Ooma and everything is mostly transparent.

If you have multiple lines you want to replace and placement of fax and directv modem devices and/or alarms systems then it usually involves more testing.
#43631 by wrage5
Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 pm
How would i connect 2 lines to the hub?

I appreciate your help.
#43632 by Shutterstuff
Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:12 pm
wrage5 wrote:How would i connect 2 lines to the hub?

I appreciate your help.

You can't hook 2 lines to the Hub. My setup is similar to yours in that I had 2 lines with Vonage (were "landlines" years ago but ported those to Vonage).

Line 1 is "shared" on the Hub and line 2 is routed to the Scout only (in my.ooma/preferences/phone numbers). On my 2 line Panasonic cordless phone system, one line plugs into the Hub and the other into the Scout.

Both numbers now are supposed to be ported on February 1st. For now, I have Vonage configured to forward to the Ooma supplied numbers. So when the porting finally happens, it "should" be transparent.

As for DirecTV, I have read that those and FAX machines "may or may not" work but most people that do have them working plug them directly into the Hub and not a Scout. I have not yet bothered to try this out yet.