Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#43554 by TheGooseMan
Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 pm
OK I understand the main line is for connecting your house but how do you hook up your second line for a fax with a Telo? I am not talking about the extra second line that you would need to purchase the extra headset. Can this be setup to use two separate pairs of the RJ-11 to utilize two lines? What I am asking can I utilize this Telo to have two wired lines connected to my house's infrastructure? Thanks
#43555 by southsound
Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 pm
No, there is only the ability to have one wired line on the Telo. If you have two numbers, you may still access both of them with that one wired line, but using a corded phone or cordless base on one line and a fax on the other is not supported. The older hub/scout does support two wired lines and many have chosen not to upgrade to the Telo because they needed 2 wired connections. Sorry. Is it still possible for you to return the Telo and purchase the hub/scout package?
#43556 by TheGooseMan
Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:10 pm
Nope but I might get a Hub/Scout down the road like i see other people have for a second/third line. Thanks for the quick response.
#43573 by JTOOMA
Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:14 pm
IF YOU WANT A SECOND PHYSICAL LINE FOR FAXING OR FOR PHONE CALLS ON A PBX PHONE SYSTEM USING A OOMA TELO, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!

I'm new to the OOMA community and struggled with this problem of needing a physical second line. I know a lot of people may have already figured this out, but I'm sure there are still many out there like me that could use a little extra help figuring it out, in fact I almost took my OOMA's back for a refund because of how much trouble I had getting them to work properly. You can't imagine how silly i felt when I figured out how easy it was to hook them up so the would work together.

anyway enough blabbering,

For new people like me who need a second line that you could physically plug a fax machine into or connect to a PBX Phone System, this is for you.

I have two OOMA Telo's and every time I tried to connect the second Telo Hub to the network it would conflict with the first Hub so both hubs would become disabled.
If I hooked up just one of the hubs by itself (it didn't matter which one) it would work fine until I hooked up the second Hub.
I finally hooked up just one hub and got it working again, then I plugged the second hub into the back of the first Hub like you would a scout, to my amazement it was up and running in a couple of minutes.
I have the first hub hooked up to my PBX phone system for calls and the second hub hooked up to my fax machine.
both appear to work fine for their intended use, just remember to dial *99 before the number to send faxes over the OOMA line or it wont work. if you wish to use the second OOMA for faxing only and don't care if the audio quality for phone calls on it are degraded then you can change the setting by going to preferences, then system and selecting the fax number option.
Hope this helps and sorry if you had trouble following me I was never that good at explaining things. LOL.

If this works for you be sure and let others know, I would really like to see OOMA and companies like it succeed because of how much money it will save people individually and business owners that need all the help they can get in these troubled economic times.

Best of Luck to Everyone.
#43577 by sfhub
Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 pm
Do you mean Ooma Telo or Ooma Hub? You said both, so it is a little confusing.

I think you mean you have 2 Ooma Hubs and have discovered if you connect the wall jacks of the 2 Hubs directly to each other they will create their own private network and communicate with Ooma servers through the one actually connected to the LAN network?

That's a pretty neat discovery. I wonder if the 2nd Hub will take firmware updates that way too. Maybe Ooma should just officially support and publicize this configuration.

As an aside I think your troubles with connecting 2 Ooma Hubs to the network can be overcome if you place them behind a router which can do connection tracking on UDP protocols (and you don't override that behavior with manual port forwarding)
#43581 by JTOOMA
Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:09 pm
Sorry about that, your right I should have been more specific. I have two OOMA Telo Hubs. the original OOMA was Called a OOMA Hub, the next generation is called the OOMA telo. the original OOMA Hub had the ability to use a device called a scout. I have not found were they offer a scout for the OOMA Telo but it would appear that i have been able to connect a second OOMA Telo up like you would a scout to the original OOMA Hub.
I also did not think about the firmware updates, but i dont see why it should be a problem if each Telo Hub is able to operate properly by making and receiving calls on one hub and sending and receiving faxes on the other.

Once again sorry about the poor illustration, I did the best I Could, Hope it helps someone.
#43582 by southsound
Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:11 pm
sfhub wrote:Do you mean Ooma Telo or Ooma Hub? You said both, so it is a little confusing.
I believe he said two Telo's but then used the term hub to indicate one of the Telo devices
I think you mean you have 2 Ooma Hubs and have discovered if you connect the wall jacks of the 2 Hubs directly to each other they will create their own private network and communicate with Ooma servers through the one actually connected to the LAN network?
No, Wall port to Wall port configuration will NOT work - read my comments below.
That's a pretty neat discovery. I wonder if the 2nd Hub will take firmware updates that way too. Maybe Ooma should just officially support and publicize this configuration.
If configured like JTOOMA has done and as noted below, yes
As an aside I think your troubles with connecting 2 Ooma Hubs to the network can be overcome if you place them behind a router which can do connection tracking on UDP protocols (and you don't override that behavior with manual port forwarding)

I believe what JTOOMA was saying is he connected one Telo to the internet through the Internet port and then plugged the other into the Home Network jack on the first Telo. I have a similar configuration with my hub and Telo - the Telo plugs into a switch that is running off the hub's home network port. I did do some configuration of the Telo to allow it to play nice on my network. I changed the IP of the second device to 172.27.36.1 and then created a port forward rule for port 80 to that address. I can access the setup screen of the first device by typing http://172.27.35.1 and the second device by typing the IP address that is assigned by the first ooma to the second device.
#43590 by sfhub
Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:16 pm
JTOOMA wrote:I also did not think about the firmware updates, but i dont see why it should be a problem if each Telo Hub is able to operate properly by making and receiving calls on one hub and sending and receiving faxes on the other.

Won't be a problem, I only thought it might be because I confused what you were describing with a different config.