Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#43379 by invader33
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:00 pm
How do I verify Ooma is working with landline connected? Ooma system all connected and have Blue tab at hub with land line connected. If I disconnect the incoming land line at the house junction box, I get a red tab and red lights on buttons 1 & 2. If I go to my web site, Ooma is registering my incoming and out going calls, but the Ooma recorder is not receiving messages.
Does this mean that Ooma is not actually working and the blue light is a false indicator? The instructions say to leave the land line connected until porting occurs. Does that mean only connected between the location and the phone company and it can be disconnected at the house junction box during this porting time? My Answering service is with the phone company and is set on 10 rings with the Ooma recorder set at 6 rings.
#43383 by bw1
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 pm
You selected “I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider” or "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current landline" when you activated. In both cases be certain to plug your landline into the port labeled WALL on the back of the Ooma hub otherwise it will not go into service.

Most of us here recommend not integrating your landline, whether you're just testing the Ooma service and will eventually port your number or even if you want to keep your landline for a backup service. The reason is that all incoming calls and local outgoing and 911 calls will be through your landline service. Only long distance calls will be through the Ooma service. Also, you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

Once your Ooma device (Hub or Telo) has been activated, the only way to change from an integrated landline to an Ooma supplied phone number is to call customer service.
#43437 by invader33
Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 pm
I appreciate the response. Still a little baffled. I do not intend to use the Ooma with an integrated land line, but want the existing number ported. I did not want a temp number in the interim. I made another call to customer service, and was told I will not be able to verify complete operation of Ooma until the number porting process is completed and the current number is ported. I live in a foothills area and my internet service is wireless and I am not 100% sure I won't have a compatibility or interference problem. Unless I am missing something, it looks like a gamble I have to take. If I lose, I will have a Ooma for sale. invader
#43442 by murphy
Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 pm
invader33 wrote:I appreciate the response. Still a little baffled. I do not intend to use the Ooma with an integrated land line, but want the existing number ported. I did not want a temp number in the interim. I made another call to customer service, and was told I will not be able to verify complete operation of Ooma until the number porting process is completed and the current number is ported. I live in a foothills area and my internet service is wireless and I am not 100% sure I won't have a compatibility or interference problem. Unless I am missing something, it looks like a gamble I have to take. If I lose, I will have a Ooma for sale. invader

Call CS and tell them that you do not want your land line integrated with the ooma box. You then select a temporary phone number to use until the port is completed. Once that is done, you can disconnect the land line from the ooma box. You can then fully evaluate the ooma service without the land line complication.
#43443 by bw1
Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:28 pm
Like I posted, I would call CS back and have them set up a temporary number.

You can have your landline number forwarded to your temp Ooma number or give a few friends and family the new temp # for a few weeks. It's the only way to really give your Ooma / Internet service a workout and determine if things will work out for you. Especially since wireless is not recommended.

You can check your VoIP performance here:
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html