Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#43184 by mlaurence
Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:31 pm
Just ported over my home number and I can't seem to connect it to my home telephones, only the one plugged into the Ooma box works. I have FIOS internet and a scary looking box with battery backup and the phone network but it is cleverly disguised. How do I connect my wall phones? I ran a cable from a bedroom jack to test but that doesn't even work.
#43210 by Groundhound
Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:41 pm
mlaurence wrote:Just ported over my home number and I can't seem to connect it to my home telephones, only the one plugged into the Ooma box works. I have FIOS internet and a scary looking box with battery backup and the phone network but it is cleverly disguised. How do I connect my wall phones? I ran a cable from a bedroom jack to test but that doesn't even work.

Connect the phone port on the Ooma with a splitter to both the phone you now have connected and the house jack in that room. That will send dialtone to the rest of the phones in your house.
#43256 by mlaurence
Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:36 am
That's exactly what I did after I tried the two jacks on the verizon service panel. It didn't work. One was labeled 'test jack' the other was not labeled, but neither of those worked either.
#43257 by mlaurence
Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:39 am
Hmm, I misspoke (miswrote?) What I did was connect the wall jack to the "wall" port on the Ooma, are you saying to use the "phone" port that the working phone is plugged into?
#43258 by jmassimilla
Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:54 am
Yes. Use the "Phone" port on the Ooma box to connect to your wall jacks.
#43259 by 2spirit
Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:06 am
In order to get the Ooma dial tone to all of your home wall jacks, you should connect it to the Telo's "Phone" port . . . not the Wall port. So, as Groundhound mentioned before, if you have a phone connected to Telo's Phone port you will need to use a splitter to send the signal to both the connected phone and the wall jack in that room. Hope this helps!
#43419 by mlaurence
Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:15 pm
Thanks alot, that worked perfectly. I guess I just didn't understand what the wall port was for. I have another question, though. My router is in my basement (computers are wireless) Will I have any problem if I use a 15 ft cat5 cable to connect the Ooma upstairs so I don't have to run to the basement to see if there are any messages.
#43440 by Groundhound
Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:19 pm
mlaurence wrote:Thanks alot, that worked perfectly. I guess I just didn't understand what the wall port was for. I have another question, though. My router is in my basement (computers are wireless) Will I have any problem if I use a 15 ft cat5 cable to connect the Ooma upstairs so I don't have to run to the basement to see if there are any messages.

That length of cable should not be a problem, but you can check your messages from any phone by calling your own number.
#43453 by byersthja
Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:34 pm
mlaurence wrote:Thanks alot, that worked perfectly. I guess I just didn't understand what the wall port was for. I have another question, though. My router is in my basement (computers are wireless) Will I have any problem if I use a 15 ft cat5 cable to connect the Ooma upstairs so I don't have to run to the basement to see if there are any messages.

15 feet is no problem. I have about a 25 foot ethernet cable from my FiOS router in the basement to the Ooma unit in the kitchen. Theoretically, you can run ethernet to 100 meters. Beyond that, you start losing signal.