Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42875 by dullgeek
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:00 am
Hi,

Just got an ooma core system, and it's working OK. I'm having some voice quality issues that I'm trying to fix. Part of the problem may be that I have this setup

cable modem <-> router <-> ooma

Instead of the recommended

cable modem <-> ooma <-> router

I can't use the recommended setup, because I have some port forwarding on the router that continues to need to work. If I install using the recommended setup, is there a way to configure the router builtin to the ooma so that port forwarding will work?

FWIW, I'm coming from vonage, where I used my setup w/out issue. My router has pretty good QoS capabilities, and I'm pretty confident that I know how to set it up to optimize VOIP over everything else. (I have a linksys wrt54g running Tomato firmware). But that setup isn't working in ooma, so I'm interested in trying the recommended solution to see if it's any better.

Update: Thinking about this, and reading around the forum, it appears that there is some way to configure your ooma device. But I was unaware of it. Is there a pointer somewhere that tells me how I can configure the device? Thanks.
#42880 by caseybea
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:13 am
I have the exact same setup as you:

Cable modem >> Router >> Ooma

With my router being a WRT54GL running the latest tomato firmware. Worked out of the box, but I did notice some call quality "choppiness" if the internet was in high use by the computers in the home; Once I was happy the basic setup was operational (it was), then setting up QoS was a snap and it all works perfectly.

Therefore-- I am not sure why you're having issues, as I have the same setup and it's great. Can you clarify "but that setup doesn't work with Ooma" ...???

Don't give up; I myself prefer to have the setup you (and I) have with the router giving me full control of all the traffic.
#42897 by dullgeek
Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 am
caseybea wrote:Can you clarify "but that setup doesn't work with Ooma" ...???

Sure, but my point in posting here was to ask about configuring the Ooma device. I want to see whether or not the builtin ooma QoS will work better than the tomato QoS that I have configured. Perhaps I made a configuration error. Perhaps the QoS configuration needs to be more complex than what I've set up.

In any case, what I mean by "that setup doesn't work w/Ooma" is that on outbound calls (only) the remote side hears choppiness. It sounds like something is taking 0.05 seconds of sound out of the call 3-4 times per second. (I don't know how else to describe it.) It ends up making it very hard for the other end to understand what is being said. At the same time, on my side of the call it sounds fine. Additionally, I don't seem to get this problem on inbound calls at all. Just outbound.

So my goal was to see if replacing the relative position of the ooma and the router would improve the situation, and if it did, that would tell me that I've got an issue in my QoS setup on my router.

But to do this, I need to enable port forwarding so that I can continue to use some of the servers that I run out of my house. So my question (in this forum) is this: can I do that.

I'm equally interested in determining if I've got a QoS problem that I can fix. But I was going to post that question in the "Call quality forum" after I'd gotten a chance to experiment with device placement.
#42899 by murphy
Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:20 am
dullgeek wrote:Update: Thinking about this, and reading around the forum, it appears that there is some way to configure your ooma device. But I was unaware of it. Is there a pointer somewhere that tells me how I can configure the device? Thanks.

Connect a computer to the Home port of the Ooma box and connect to

http://setup.ooma.com

If you are an OpenDNS user or are on Comcast and have their DNS helper enabled, the preceding won't work. In that case connect to

http://172.27.35.1
#42900 by dullgeek
Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:22 am
murphy wrote:Connect a computer to the Home port of the Ooma box and connect to

Thanks. This will only work if you're connected to the Home port on the ooma box?
#42901 by murphy
Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 am
dullgeek wrote:
murphy wrote:Connect a computer to the Home port of the Ooma box and connect to

Thanks. This will only work if you're connected to the Home port on the ooma box?

As long as you are downstream from the ooma box, it will work.
For example if the WAN (Internet) port of your router is connected to the Home port of the ooma, any computer connected to the router can access the ooma setup page.
#42920 by dullgeek
Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:33 am
murphy wrote:As long as you are downstream from the ooma box, it will work.
For example if the WAN (Internet) port of your router is connected to the Home port of the ooma, any computer connected to the router can access the ooma setup page.

Ok. I have my ooma setup like this:

cable modem <-> router <-> ooma

I have nothing connected to the home port of the ooma. I will connect my laptop there to get this to work.

Thanks.
#43336 by davidm
Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:14 am
Changing Ooma's internal QoS on config 2B (modem----router----ooma) shouldn't have any effect on other devices connected to your router. This is because your router is handling all QoS under a config 2B.

Opening the ports up might just prevent it from having to transverse the NAT functionality of your router and perhaps (I'm not sure as I haven't studied it with the ports open) make it not have to rely on the VPN functionality as much. But again this shouldn't change the QoS itself because your router is handling that in a config 2B setup.