Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42840 by ldshark1234
Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:46 am
Here is how I have set up my ooma telo. Activated unit bought premierand ported my old number (done already). Tried to used wall plug to liven all phone jacks throughout my home, only works this way using phone plug on telo. So my question is how does that instant 2nd line work for me. Do I just purchase a ooma handset and plug it into any wall jack in my house??? Does that phone ring if I'm already on a regular phone thats hooked up to a wall jack.
#42842 by dsinternet
Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:55 am
Right now the only way to get the instant 2nd phone line is to hook up a Telo Handset. The Telo handset works wirelessly with the Telo unit. (Nice when I go on a trip and bring my Telo with me) so there is no need to plug it in any where except to charge the battery. Set up is quick once you know your Telos PIN number which can be found on your account page on the Ooma web site.
#42848 by hpepper
Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 am
ldshark1234 wrote:Here is how I have set up my ooma telo. Activated unit bought premierand ported my old number (done already). Tried to used wall plug to liven all phone jacks throughout my home, only works this way using phone plug on telo. So my question is how does that instant 2nd line work for me. Do I just purchase a ooma handset and plug it into any wall jack in my house??? Does that phone ring if I'm already on a regular phone thats hooked up to a wall jack.

Also, so you know, the wall jack on the back of the Telo is to incorporate a landline with the Telo.
#42925 by ldshark1234
Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:45 am
Also, so you know, the wall jack on the back of the Telo is to incorporate a landline with the Telo.

My wall jack on the ooma doesnt work for me (dead). I've plugged my phone jack from my ooma into a wall plug to liven all my phones in the house. I thought the way it was suppose to work is plug phone into phone jack on ooma, and plug wall jack on ooma into wall plug. This is the way I thought it was advertised to work as a 2nd line. If you were on a phone anywhere in the house the phone plugged into the ooma was suppose to ring for the 2nd line????
#42928 by Groundhound
Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 am
ldshark1234 wrote:Also, so you know, the wall jack on the back of the Telo is to incorporate a landline with the Telo.

My wall jack on the ooma doesnt work for me (dead). I've plugged my phone jack from my ooma into a wall plug to liven all my phones in the house. I thought the way it was suppose to work is plug phone into phone jack on ooma, and plug wall jack on ooma into wall plug. This is the way I thought it was advertised to work as a 2nd line. If you were on a phone anywhere in the house the phone plugged into the ooma was suppose to ring for the 2nd line????

The wall port on the Telo has no function other than to integrate a landline - a choice that is made during activation and should only be made, IMO, by those who intend to keep their POTS landline indefinitely. Extending Ooma dialtone throughout your house is done via the phone port. To use the Premier "Instant Second Line" feature with Telo requires at least one cordless Telo Handset.
#43392 by smaz524
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 pm
Can the instant 2nd line be used with the ooma hub without a landline connection? Or do I need to take unit back to Costco and get Telo? Thanks for any help!!
#43394 by murphy
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:31 pm
smaz524 wrote:Can the instant 2nd line be used with the ooma hub without a landline connection? Or do I need to take unit back to Costco and get Telo? Thanks for any help!!

You need a scout to use the instant second line on a hub.
If you bought the package that doesn't include a scout, check eBay. There were plenty there last time I looked.
#43395 by bw1
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:33 pm
smaz524 wrote:Can the instant 2nd line be used with the ooma hub without a landline connection? Or do I need to take unit back to Costco and get Telo? Thanks for any help!!

Yes, but you have to have a scout.

If you bought the Ooma Hub only product from Costco B&M store, you have 3 choices:
1. Buy a scout through Amazon, eBay or addon in my.ooma
http://www.amazon.com/ooma-Scout-Device ... 814&sr=8-3

2. Get the Ooma Core (hub and scout combo)
should be still available online and in stores.
(there are advantages and disadvantages to this and you may want to do some searching and reading)

3. Get a Telo and at least one Telo handset