Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42653 by ramBRO
Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 pm
I'm a new user of the ooma Telo and I'm in the free trial phase of the Premier subscription. After finally receiving a replacement unit for the initial device that was defective (thanks again to Dennis P.) I'm ready to start saving some money.

My question deals with the ability to fax. Though I do not own a fax machine (either stand-alone or all-in-one), I have been able to fax MS Word and PDF docs by using the MS Send Fax Wizard. Though I don't send very many faxes, I'd like to continue to have that ability with the Telo if that's possible.

Right now, while I'm awaiting the porting of my landline # to ooma, I have a phone cable connected to the back of my PC to the wall jack. But what can I do to send faxes once I go to dry-loop?

Thanks.
#42679 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:11 am
Ooma does not support fax modem use, but I've sent a fax using MS Fax that comes with WinXP. I slowed the modem port speed to 9600 and sent a two page fax successfully with my Telo in fax mode. I have not tried to receive with MS Fax.
#42682 by caseybea
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:21 am
The primary recommendations for sending faxes:

1) As the previous post suggested, drop the fax baud rate to 9600.

2) Prefix your outbound call with *99 - this increases the call quality for fax and such (uses high quality codec)

3) Do NOT increase the "resolution" of your fax settings. Keep them as "standard" or whatever, do not use "high"

and after all the above-- keep in mind there are NO GUARANTEES that faxing will work at all. The above recipe, however, has proven useful to many who are faxing succesfully.