Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42314 by airica
Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:04 pm
got the telo yesterday and tried to set the thing up. i activated it. then set it up in option 2b. i only have the modem from time warner cable. it is a motorola sb5101. i have home network port going to the mac with ethernet cord. modem going to internet port with ethernet cord from the box (just to be sure in is the wide flat one right) pluged the telo in and the logo flashed blue. i waited and waited. went to bed got up and still flashing this morning. i unplug everything. and turned everything off and waited 2 hours. pluged everything in same way, turned modem on. turned mac on. pluged telo in. and nothing ..no lights at all .. only little light by the ports on back flashing orange..........please help thank you
#42316 by Groundhound
Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:35 pm
airica wrote:got the telo yesterday and tried to set the thing up. i activated it. then set it up in option 2b. i only have the modem from time warner cable. it is a motorola sb5101. i have home network port going to the mac with ethernet cord. modem going to internet port with ethernet cord from the box (just to be sure in is the wide flat one right) pluged the telo in and the logo flashed blue. i waited and waited. went to bed got up and still flashing this morning. i unplug everything. and turned everything off and waited 2 hours. pluged everything in same way, turned modem on. turned mac on. pluged telo in. and nothing ..no lights at all .. only little light by the ports on back flashing orange..........please help thank you

I'm guessing you do not have a router, just the SB5101. Turn off your modem, Ooma Telo, and your computer and connect everything back the way you had it. Then turn on only your modem and let it get completely started up. Next turn on your Ooma Telo and finally your computer. The Telo will go through a number of light displays and seem at times to be doing nothing for perhaps an hour while it downloads the latest firmware. When it is finished all the buttons on the Telo should be lit blue.
There are some other changes you should make afterwords so let us know how it turns out. Welcome to the Ooma forums.
#42317 by murphy
Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:36 pm
Push the top center icon that looks like a sun. You may have accidentally turned the lights off.
Do you get a dial tone from a phone connected to the phone port?
Did you integrate your land line or did you get a temporary number from ooma?
#42321 by amoney
Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:56 pm
I agree the display light might have been turned off.

Mot SB5101 is a modem only so your actually setup is 2A.

Note when you plug things in, you have to turn everything off, and power on the cable modem first, after it is online, then turn on your telo, then your computer. Check to see if your can open a web page, you can also try to check status going to setup.ooma.com.
#42423 by airica
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:39 pm
thanks for answering so quickly. ok what i did last night. i turned everything off and started modem 1st waited for it to be online, then telo, then mac. when i plugged in the telo still no light show. nothing lit up at all no 1. 2. garbage can or envelope. nothing but the orange blinking light by the ports. left it this way for 16 hours to see if something would happen. yes i hit the sun button to see if i turned it off and still no lights. i even turned off the lights in the room to see if i could see some blue lights. i tried to do a reset with stop and garbage can. i am dumb founded, i think i have a bunk telo. when everything is connected there is no dail tone and the mac can not access the internet. i got a temp # when i activated. and to groundhound if i get a new telo what other changes should i make that you mentioned?
Last edited by airica on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#42427 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:49 pm
airica wrote:thanks for answering so quickly. ok what i did last night. i turned everything off and started modem 1st waited for it to be online, then telo, then mac. when i plugged in the telo still no light show. nothing lit up at all no 1. 2. garbage can or envelope. nothing but the orange blinking light by the ports. left it this way for 16 hours to see if something would happen. yes i hit the sun button to see if i turned it off and still no lights. i even turned off the lights in the room to see if i could see some blue lights. i tried to do a reset with stop and garbage can. i am dumb founded, i think i have a bunk telo. when everything is connected there is no dail tone and the mac can not access the internet. i got a temp # when i activated. and to groundhog if i get a new telo what other changes should i make that you mentioned?

FYI dont bother waiting 16 hours, you should be able to get to the internet in a few minutes if everything is working accordinly (even if Ooma service is not, the Ooma router should still get you online unless there are other significant issues preventing).

You said no internet, curious if you could access setup.ooma.com, did your computer get a valid IP address from the OOma box, I guess not. And if not it does seem like it is dead.

Contact customer service for a replacement asap.

If you do get a new Ooma box, either they will preactivate it for you or once you receive it just call in for them to update your account info with the Ooma new hardware (which essentially is the devices MAC address), this is what I assume.