Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42270 by rich65
Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:17 am
I've been searching for answers but not getting anywhere. This is all so new to me and a bit overwhelming!

I have Ooma Telo set up and working with one line. I have ordered a Telo handset for the 2nd line which should arrive Monday or Tuesday (and premier). Our goal: to use one line for home (with multiple handsets throughout the house) and the other line for business (one handset is probably enough although it might be nice to have a second).

1) Since I want multiple handsets on the home phone (that aren't telo handsets), should I use line 1 for home?

2) For line 2, do all the handsets have to be telo handsets or just one of them?

3) Since I currently still have a landline, if I start using the phone # on line 1 as my husband's business number, can I move that phone # at a later time to line 2 without a fee? (We'd like to start handing out my husband's business # but unfortunately I'm waiting for Ooma to have a phone # in our area code for that second line.)

4) Do both lines work the same?... i.e. my husband wants to set it up so that the ooma calls his cell phone and his business line at the same time. If he doesn't answer either phone will he get a message on both his cell phone (Verizon Droid) and the ooma phone? Do both lines 1 and 2 have that feature (where both cell phone/ooma phone ring) and how do I set that up?

5) With 2 separate phone lines, if my husband is talking on his business line can we set it up to just ring to his cell phone or to just take a message? Or would he be able to see that he's getting a call and put the first person on hold?

6) The Ooma will be set up in my husband's basement office. For the home line, can my regular phone answering machine still be used or will I have to head to the basement (or onto the computer) to check for messages?

If anyone has any advice/wisdom on the best way to set up the two lines to maximize use for home and small business I would love to hear it!! Also, any suggestions on how to get a 2nd phone # in our area code (269)? Our friends aren't going to want to have to call long distance to talk!! As it is, the kids are bummed out that they will have a new #. (Ours won't port.)

Thank you for any help you can offer!!
#42274 by Groundhound
Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:25 am
1. Yes.

2. Just one for line 2. Understand that the lines are separate from the numbers with Ooma Premier. You can have one number ring exclusively on one Telo Handset, but it is possible to make and receive calls for both numbers on either the Telo Handset or the Telo phone port-connected phones.

3. Not sure I understand the question, but if it's just a matter of switching which of your existing numbers is line 1, I think that's possible with no cost.

4. If you have the second number assigned to a Telo Handset as a "personal device" they will work the same, with separate my.ooma accounts for voicemail and other features.

5. You can set multi-ring to ring both your Ooma phone and your cell, but at this time if you answer on the cell you will need to "press 1" to accept the call. If you do not "press 1" and the call is not answered on the Ooma phone, it will go to Ooma's voicemail. If you do not want to be disturbed while on a call you can turn on "do not disturb" from the Telo or Telo Handset and calls will go straight to voicemail without ringing or giving a call waiting beep.

6. You can check Ooma voicemail from any line 1 phone by calling your line 1 number. Also you can set the number of rings on Ooma voicemail to be high so your answering machine will pick it up.

Welcome to the Ooma forums!
#42673 by rich65
Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:45 am
Thanks for your help! The Ooma handset arrive and we were assigned a second #. I have one more question. Here's the scenario:

Line 1 phone # is for home use and we are using regular panasonic handsets.

Line 2 phone # is work number and we are using the Telo handset for that.

When my husband makes business calls we want to ONLY use line 2 (so that is the number people capture in their caller ID). HOWEVER, I have yet to figure out how to use the Telo handset to dial out on line 2. Every time I pick it up (unless someone is already on the phone) it goes straight to line 1. With my panasonic phones I just have to hit "flash" twice and it puts me onto line 2. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!!
#42685 by murphy
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:29 am
You are confusing physical lines with phone numbers.
There are two pipes to the Ooma server. They are line 1 and line 2. The first call that is made will use line 1 no matter where it comes from. The second call, while a call is in progress, will use line 2.
The line used has no bearing on which caller ID will be presented to the called party.
If you have a personal handset locked to your second number, it will always present the caller ID of the second number, regardless of which "pipe" it flows through.
#42686 by rich65
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:33 am
Thanks! I have to say, although I've read nasty things about Ooma support they have been very helpful to me!! Just got off the phone with them and to achieve what I wanted he had me change some thing under preferences in myooma. I think I'm all set now!
#42687 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:40 am
rich65 wrote:Thanks for your help! The Ooma handset arrive and we were assigned a second #. I have one more question. Here's the scenario:

Line 1 phone # is for home use and we are using regular panasonic handsets.

Line 2 phone # is work number and we are using the Telo handset for that.

When my husband makes business calls we want to ONLY use line 2 (so that is the number people capture in their caller ID). HOWEVER, I have yet to figure out how to use the Telo handset to dial out on line 2. Every time I pick it up (unless someone is already on the phone) it goes straight to line 1. With my panasonic phones I just have to hit "flash" twice and it puts me onto line 2. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!!

If you've not already done so, you need to "add a personal device" in my.ooma > preferences > phone numbers. Once you associate the second number with the handset it will by default use that number on outbound caller ID, and have its own voice mail account. As stated earlier the line number refers to the order in which they become in-use, not the phone number they are using.
#42692 by dadinthecity
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:54 am
I posted these questions elsewhere and got some answers, but I thought I would post here and see if I get any different opinions.

1. Is there any way to get instant second line with Telo and without a Telo handset?
2. Is there any way to use a 2nd number (which would be free with premier) without a Telo handset?
3. Can I order a 2nd phone number for $5 without premier?
4. Does anyone know if a Ooma retailer like Best Buy can sell you premier with the handset for the $120 total?
5. Can you plug another phone (panasonic) into a Telo handset to extend it further, like a Scout?
6. If you have a 2nd ooma number as in number 2 above, can you make a 2nd call from that number simultaneous with a line one call. If so, how and where do you connect a 2nd phone.