Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42045 by AZdevil
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 pm
I have the Ooma Telo and a laptop that access a work server via VPN.

Both work fine independently however, it seems that when I am on a call that my laptop kicks kicked off the VPN network? Any idea or fixed on this issue?

Linksys Cable modem >>>>>Netgear RP614 wired router>>>>>>>>One LAP port wired to Ooma another LAN port wired to laptop.

Thanks
#42052 by caseybea
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 pm
The Ooma device will use a fair chunk of your upload bandwidth, and yeah, that would possibly knock down your VPN connection.

With your setup, you would need to investigate whether or not your Netgear router has "quality of service" or not. With QoS, you have quite a bit of control over the priortization of network traffic, and can fiddle with priorities until things work just the way you like.
#42057 by amoney
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:50 pm
Yes, because a VPN tunnel is encrypted and requires more bandwidth to sustain the connection, if the VPN connection gets interrupted, you will loose your work connection.

I would recommend trying the Ooma behind your router and see if call quality is acceptable with no QOS.
#42070 by AZdevil
Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm
I would recommend trying the Ooma behind your router and see if call quality is acceptable with no QOS.

I thought I already had it setup that way? Modem>>>router>>>telo

I may have to try a new router with QoS. Good advice from stores is so hard to come by. Guy told me that QoS does not really do that much as there is little competition for ports and bandwidth.....