Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41952 by kelkin
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:25 pm
I'm new to OOMA and was quite surprised to find out that it takes 3-4 weeks to port a number, based on people's experience does it really take that long? Or do they just state the worst case scenario?

I wish I read the forums before I purchased tonight, it sounds like there are a lot of people with a lot of issues and clearly customer service is poor which is quite disconcerting. OOMA sounds like an amazing product, I hope I'm one of the few that everything just works and I don't have to call in!
-Keith
#41960 by Groundhound
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 pm
Assuming you have not activated your Ooma yet, and are planning to port your number if everything works well, I'd advise that you choose not to integrate your landline with Ooma when you activate, keeping your landline separate from Ooma. Instead get an Ooma number that you can use while you are testing. If you decide to port your landline number later on it will replace the Ooma-assigned number. If you want to receive calls on your Ooma number while in your testing phase you can setup call forwarding to your Ooma number with your landline provider. This way you will be able to test all Ooma features as they will work once your port is complete.
#41963 by Mike-o-Matic
Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:46 pm
Hi Kelkin,

I'll just throw this out there. "Satisfied customers rarely post about it."

I'm convinced that the vast, silent majority are like me: they had easy set-ups, love their oomas, and are saving a wad of cash on their phone service. A quick look at Amazon's, Costco's, Walmart's, or BestBuy's websites shows that ooma gets great user ratings. I think that says a lot.

So my advice is, give your ooma a fair trial, and go from there. What's the most you can lose by trying? On the flip side however, you have a lot to gain.

Regards,
o-matic

PS #1. My number port took 3.5 weeks but was 100% painless. The delay, as I understand it, is usually due to the "losing" company giving up the number. There's little ooma (or any company "receiving" the ported number, for that matter) can do to speed up the process. Sorry 'bout that.

PS #2. I've had three or four occasions to talk to phone support about various questions the first week or two. I was talking to a person in under 2 minutes each time, and they always answered my questions quickly and accurately. Frankly, I don't understand a lot of the phone-support complaints I read on here. They don't match my own experiences at all. Maybe I was just lucky. I suggest that you form your OWN opinion.

EDIT: minor rewording.
#41975 by daet
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:06 am
kelkin wrote:I'm new to OOMA and was quite surprised to find out that it takes 3-4 weeks to port a number, based on people's experience does it really take that long? Or do they just state the worst case scenario?

I wish I read the forums before I purchased tonight, it sounds like there are a lot of people with a lot of issues and clearly customer service is poor which is quite disconcerting. OOMA sounds like an amazing product, I hope I'm one of the few that everything just works and I don't have to call in!
-Keith

Everything that southsound said, and my port from Vonage took less than 5 business days.
Last edited by daet on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#41976 by murphy
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:16 am
My port from Vonage took 3 weeks.
#41979 by amoney
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 am
There was a post recently that touched on why landlines take long to PORT, where as cell numbers are managed by a different system which allows quick porting, other VOIP numbers may be PORTED quicker becuase the number was not a original landline. Basicly the backend is not standardized and is a cluster F.

As far as OOmas ported it took me 3 weeks, and went exactly as described, begining with email confirmation and a week later another email follow up indicating the date of the transition.

As long as you get those follow up emails you should be in good shape. But if you dont see those confimations, stay ontop of it and call customer support.

I have had a very good experience with Ooma thus far. As far as calling for support the advice I can give you is if your holding for a long time call back later on. Most of my wait times have been less than 5 min.

I also agree integrating with your existing landline number can have many more installation issues. It seems best to keep it seperate. When you activate just select new Ooma number option.
#41985 by byersthja
Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 am
I think the port process time varies by provider. I am a Verizon FiOS customer and had my voice service as part of a bundle with TV/Internet. On December 18 I called Verizon and had my voice service removed from the bundle and downgraded to a basic phone service with the intention that I would be porting the number. On December 21 I initiated the port process with Ooma. I received an email that gave an estimated date of January 7. The January 7 date came and went, and the port did not take place. I called Ooma on January 8 and asked the CSR what the status of the port was. She gave me a ticket number, and later that evening I received an email from Ooma stating that my port was rejected by Verizon due to a pending order on my account. Unfortunately for me, Verizon did not transition the change in my voice service until several days after I requested it. Since I started the port process before the account change completed, the pending status of my Verizon account caused the rejection.

Now I wish Ooma had kept me in the loop and informed me of the "rejected" status as soon as the information was known. I only learned of the rejection because I called to check on it. I encourage others to do the same. I initiated the port once again on January 11 and received a new port date of January 25. I will be calling today to get a status check.

Update 1:24PM EDT. I called Ooma support about an hour ago. Only one ring before the call was picked up. I gave the CSR my ticket number to check the status of my port. He said it is still set for January 25 and there is nothing to indicate that Verizon has rejected it at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Last edited by byersthja on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
#41991 by 2spirit
Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 am
My port from Verizon was initiated 0n Dec. 8 and originally scheduled for Dec. 23. I received an email from Ooma saying that the port was delayed until the 29th. The port was successfully completed on the 29th . . . so exactly three weeks! I was kept informed throughout the process. Ooma is working great and I'm happy to say that I just received my FINAL bill from Verizon! :D
#41993 by Potts
Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:32 am
I recieved and email on the 13th saying the port was due on the 14th. Today is the 15th and no port. When I email a return reply, I get an auto reply back saying 5-7 days before porting complete. I see I need to call Ooma again. Maybe a Moderator or someone that has some control could help out here. I requested a port on Dec 7-8 2009.

Myself I'm ready to remove everything and cancel Premier. I'm feed up.. Regards..
#41999 by Potts
Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:17 am
Sorry folks. It appears that the number has been ported. My landline is dead. Looks like I need to reboot.