Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41804 by oldanbo
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 pm
Simplistic view here. Your cable modem is controlling the QAM, IE: up and downstream traffic including VOIP and they like it that way.

Seems to me, and I can always stand more education in these matters. Make sure your ooma device is set to ZERO's for all settings, put the ooma device behind you router and test again.

Methinks Comacast is peeved because you had the audacity to use someone else for VOIP.
#41817 by Groundhound
Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:04 am
FWIW, I have the same modem as the OP and also have 16QAM upstream modulation and have good voice quality.

To the OP, I assume you've not made any changes in http://setup.ooma.com. As a test, connect: modem > Ooma > computer, and run the tests again. Next change the Ethernet cable between the modem and Ooma and repeat the tests. There should not be any other upload/download traffic from your computer when you run these tests. Each time you make a cable change reboot first the modem then the Ooma.
#41844 by Aveamantium
Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:43 am
Groundhound wrote:FWIW, I have the same modem as the OP and also have 16QAM upstream modulation and have good voice quality.

To the OP, I assume you've not made any changes in http://setup.ooma.com. As a test, connect: modem > Ooma > computer, and run the tests again. Next change the Ethernet cable between the modem and Ooma and repeat the tests. There should not be any other upload/download traffic from your computer when you run these tests. Each time you make a cable change reboot first the modem then the Ooma.

Yeah, you should be fine with the 16QAM (supposed to be able to do 10Mbps I believe), I just saw somewhere (couldn't find it again last night) that 16QAM is more susceptible to degradation due to others in the neighborhood.
#41854 by jmoar
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 am
Thanks, I talked to comcast this morning and they said that they don't use anything higher then 16 QAM. weird I guess. They assured me that 16 qam at my speed is way more than plenty for any voip to work. so, no what? darn this is frustrating.

Do i have anything else i can do? I'm really scared that my number will port to the ooma system and i won't be able to talk on it. This morning, however, the calls are crystal clear. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much
#41901 by jmoar
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 pm
thanks to all. i have not changed anything in the settings at all. I'm not following the "all zeros" settings part. Is is something that i was suppose to set up or something i need to change? also I have ran the whichvoip.com speed test a number of times today and it appears that the Quality of service varies greatly. within 5 minutes it ranged from 52% to 93%. At times the upload speed has also been very poor and last night my jitter rating was 179 which appeared huge!

Today my phone works and is basically clear. That is the main trouble. If it stays this way its great, but if i successfully port and then if fails what do i do then? i would just like to get to the bottom of it. I am now at the 16/3 speed at comcast and am told by them that this is plenty adequate and i have friends below this that use comcast voip and are fine. IS it worth the effort to try and go to the next tier to get an upload of 5? I would be willing if that is the fix, but i'd rather just stabilize what i have. Can anyone tell me what the heck QoS is and do i need to set or adjust it? i have read about it many places, but can't figure out exactly what it is or where one adjusts or tweaks if for their system.
#41910 by Aveamantium
Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... ty-service Good starting point to understanding QOS, but keep in mind this is only for a congested network within your own house.

By the way a faster tier isn't going to do you any good... You only need 40-80 kbps in both directions to make a call. It is all about quality and not quantity here. The next time that you have quality issues do a speed test here http://speedtest.net/ and if the speeds are not what you are paying for then make a copy of the speed test and use it in your discussions with Comcast. I did a little more reading on the 16QAM and it should be able to provide 10Mbps but it doesn't have the capacity of 32 or 64QAM. In essance, if everyone else in your are is using it you'll see degradation.
#41915 by jmoar
Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:35 pm
I guess that is my ultimate problem. For the most part my speeds are good. once in a while they go down, but the speeds are good relative to the sound quality. That is my problem and it appears to be odd. I have been posting things on the dslreports forum as well and everything i have checked looks good. the odd thing is when i run the voip speed test on the one website i am now consistently red colored with a "quality of service" of about 53% average. once in a while it bounces way to to 90+, but then it goes right back down. Everything else is in the green and appears to indicate its good. I'm just not sure what to do. If it doesn't straighten out tomorrow I guess i'll just throw in the towel and keep my land line for security. I can't afford to have a phone only 40-60% of the time like it has been the last week.
#41916 by Aveamantium
Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 pm
jmoar wrote:I guess that is my ultimate problem. For the most part my speeds are good. once in a while they go down, but the speeds are good relative to the sound quality. That is my problem and it appears to be odd. I have been posting things on the dslreports forum as well and everything i have checked looks good. the odd thing is when i run the voip speed test on the one website i am now consistently red colored with a "quality of service" of about 53% average. once in a while it bounces way to to 90+, but then it goes right back down. Everything else is in the green and appears to indicate its good. I'm just not sure what to do. If it doesn't straighten out tomorrow I guess i'll just throw in the towel and keep my land line for security. I can't afford to have a phone only 40-60% of the time like it has been the last week.

Don't get too hung up on the "QOS" on that test site... It measures how constant your speed is so if it varies much during the test then you'll get bad QOS scores. I used to get terrible QOS scores on my wireless ISP since it varied so much during the test and had no voice quality issues. I only had voice quality issues when the bandwidth was really choppy (during the speed test the needle would go up, pause, go to 0, go up, essentiall going all over the place). In addition to speed I would focus on packet loss and high jitter when the voice quality is bad.