Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41779 by jmoar
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 pm
I am in desperate need of help! I purchased the ooma unit and have been using it in conjunction with my home phone, but the two are not connected. Currently the ooma is connected in my office to only one phone and the land line still services the other phones. I was convinced that things were going well so i ordered my number to be ported. That's about when I noticed my calls going bad. I do not believe they had anything to do with each other.

I ran some speed tests and mine was awful at that time. My modem was older and I was convinced that i just needed more speed to make things work I then did the following thinking my speed was not up to date.

1. called comcast and upgraded to 16 mbps
2. purchased a new motorola sb6120 docsis 3.0 modem

I was assuming that all would be fine with a bit more band width. Initially i was showing down load speeds of 23-24 plus or minus, but again tonight it is about 3.5 on and off. I Called comcast and they told me the ping back to them is "lightning fast" every single time an is less then 10ms. They can see no problems with anything from the server to the modem and back and are telling me it has to be with my modem or the ooma system slowing everything down.

THe ooma connection is so bad tonight that you can't even make out a word in a conversation on the listening side. The person talking on the ooma line hears perfectly. My number is due to port in 9 days. What do I do??? I have read a number of places to adjust the QoS, but i have no idea what that is or where i go.

The comcast rep said that perhaps my firmware of the router is out of date or the ooma box. The router is a 1 week old apple extreme base station 802.11n system and is up to date according to apple. The comcast rep believes my modem is so new (and awesome according to him) that it might not be programed in to the ooma system yet. HELP!

I want to use this, but am not sure what to do. PLEASE help me asap!!

thanks
#41781 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:40 pm
Run this http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and post back the results from the advanced tab. Also go to http://192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm and report these results. For your modem you should have Downstream Signal to Noise Ratios >=33 dB, Downstream Power Levels between -10 to 10 dBmV and your Upstream Power Levels should be between 40 and 50 dBmV.
#41785 by jmoar
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:49 pm
I appreciate the help. for what its worth all the sudden my speed is greater that it was. It is just not consistent at all and i'm afraid i won't have a phone i can use in 10 days. thanks for the help!

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 12.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5478408 bps
Upload speed: 2814864 bps
Download quality of service: 71 %
Upload quality of service: 90 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 216 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 64 ms
Average round trip time to server: 129 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24800000bps
Route concurrency: 4.5268626
Download TCP forced idle: 83 %
Maximum route speed: 8191872bps

Channel ID 1 2 3 4
Frequency 519000000 Hz 525000000 Hz 531000000 Hz 537000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
-2 dBmV -2 dBmV -2 dBmV -2 dBmV
Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 35800000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 5044
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec
Power Level 45 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success
#41786 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:54 pm
Well your modem signals look good but your VoIP test is a little off... Jitter from you to server (upload) is a little high and your TCP Delay is high (should be below 100). Do you have any other traffic going on in your LAN (Torrents, Games, or other P2P)?
#41787 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:57 pm
Just noticed that your upstream modulation on the modem is 16 QAM... Check with the cable provider and see if you can get 32 or 64!? I've read that 16 can be affected by others in your neighborhood. Seems like this is an upload issue if it is the non-ooma side that is having the audio issues.
#41793 by jmoar
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 pm
I have nothing else even installed. The modem feeds the ooma box and then the router and then an ethernet to my mac. I just don't get it? I really wanted to make this work to have long distance again from our home, but the inconsistency is killing me. the calls are so bad tonight that you can't use it period. I have now read way too much on this DMZ something and QoS that needs to be configured and I don't have a clue what people are talking about. I'm relative simple, but something is wrong. If i'm showing lightning fast speed to the modem and back, why is everything at snail pace past the modem at times? It has to be the ooma box or the router, right? any other ideas? does your system go on and off so crazily? perhaps that is just expected in a voip system, but i can't have a phone i can't use. I will do what it takes, but am just not sure where to turn.

ok so i also tried one other thing. I plugged the ethernet cable from the router directly to the computer bypassing everything and here are the results. looks worse than before! I did also cycle the modem to make sure it was right.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 109.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.2 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 10261704 bps
Upload speed: 3266960 bps
Download quality of service: 68 %
Upload quality of service: 93 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 70 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 47 ms
Average round trip time to server: 55 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000000bps
Route concurrency: 2.3387928
Download TCP forced idle: 61 %
Maximum route speed: 11154888bps
#41796 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:18 pm
Can you try that test again without the Ooma in the mix? You'll probably need to power everything off, then power on the modem, wait, power on the router, then the computer. (Cable modems are picky about the boot sequence). If the results are the same then it is with you and your cable company. Again, it looks like the upload is bad... Don't worry about DMZ, and we can worry about Qos later. Besides Qos won't do you any good if you don't have any other LAN traffic since it just prioritizes traffic.

By the way the Ooma box (Telo or Hub?) will default to only 384kbps in the upstream direction during a call... Again, we can work with this later...
#41798 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 pm
jmoar wrote:ok so i also tried one other thing. I plugged the ethernet cable from the router directly to the computer bypassing everything and here are the results. looks worse than before! I did also cycle the modem to make sure it was right.

Did you mean that you plugged the ethernet cable from the MODEM directly to the computer!? If this is the case then you need to work with the ISP. And don't let them get away with telling you that you have good ping times. Once you get your ISP squared away your Ooma phone quality should be consistant. Again, see if you can get them to get you to 32 or 64QAM on the upload!
#41802 by jmoar
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:47 pm
ok, so i called comcast again and asked about the higher "QAM" and they said my modem only works with the 32 and that they don't use 16 any more. he says the numbers someone is seeing on that webpage are from my router address and that is what is causing the problems. I just don't know who to believe or what I can do about it. How do i prove it is the wrong QAM?

i'll call whomever or do whatever if it will help. i just need some direction as this is way beyond me.
#41803 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 pm
jmoar wrote:Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 35800000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 5044
Power Level 45 dBmV
[3] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success

Show them the above...

For example here is mine, notice my upload stats.

Channel ID 1 2 3 4
Frequency 519000000 Hz 525000000 Hz 531000000 Hz 537000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB 34 dB 34 dB 34 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power LevelThe Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
2 dBmV 2 dBmV 2 dBmV 3 dBmV

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 10
Frequency 35800000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 996
Power Level 45 dBmV
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success