Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41733 by rennman10
Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:30 pm
My Telo is etherneted to my wireless router which is etherneted to my cable modem. Actual cables so the stuff is sitting all together. The location of this gear however is not a good one for the Telo (since it replaces the answering machine). I need to figure out how to move the Telo to a more optimal location for an "answering machine."

I would like to hear what the best options are for doing this (quality/reliability and ease of install). Choices as I see them:

1. Use Homeplugs to connect between the router and the new location of the Telo. I have an older house and not sure if Homeplugs will work with my wiring. But I'd can it a try.
2. Will a wireless phone jack work? Are they are reliable enough?
3. Run an ethernet cable between the router and the new location for the Telo. This will work of course, but I'd have to hire someone to do this wiring.

Anything else? Thanks much for helping,
#41735 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:41 pm
Of the three choices you listed, I think option 3 would give the best result.

You could just use a DECT 6.0 handset to access voicemail. The Telo Handsets have all the voicemail functions pre-programmed, and if you prefer to use another type of DECT 6.0 handset you can program your number into its autodialer to check voicemail via its speaker phone. Either way you pick up the handset, press one button, and your voicemail plays over the speaker.
#41743 by rennman10
Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:21 pm
Groundhound,

Thanks for the info. Using an alternate handset as the "answering machine" is a creative solution! I will do this whatever else I do or don't do.

I have two other goals that may still mean moving the unit. I'd like to run my existing phone through my house's phone wiring so I need to plug the Telo into a phone jack. No phone jack in the room where the router/model/Telo gear is. Of course, I can have a jack wired. Or I can move the Telo to a room were there is a jack (but this requires an ethernet wiring per your post.)

Also, I'd like to give the fax machine a try but this looks like the fax machine needs to be plugged into the Telo (meaning moving the Telo to the room were the fax machine is). Am I likely to get a fax machine to work or should I give up on this idea?

Thanks!!
#41760 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:22 pm
rennman10 wrote:Groundhound,

Thanks for the info. Using an alternate handset as the "answering machine" is a creative solution! I will do this whatever else I do or don't do.

I have two other goals that may still mean moving the unit. I'd like to run my existing phone through my house's phone wiring so I need to plug the Telo into a phone jack. No phone jack in the room where the router/model/Telo gear is. Of course, I can have a jack wired. Or I can move the Telo to a room were there is a jack (but this requires an ethernet wiring per your post.)

Also, I'd like to give the fax machine a try but this looks like the fax machine needs to be plugged into the Telo (meaning moving the Telo to the room were the fax machine is). Am I likely to get a fax machine to work or should I give up on this idea?

Thanks!!

Given the choice of bringing phone wiring to the present Telo location as opposed to moving the Telo to a room with a phone jack and running Ethernet to that room, I'd say that in general extending the phone wiring is a little easier. I can't really make any specific recommendation without knowing more about how your home's phone wiring is currently run, whether the rooms involved are all on the same level, etc. If you're not particularly handy with low voltage wiring it would be best to get a pro.
#41826 by indie_dev
Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:20 am
rennman10 wrote:My Telo is etherneted to my wireless router which is etherneted to my cable modem. Actual cables so the stuff is sitting all together. The location of this gear however is not a good one for the Telo (since it replaces the answering machine). I need to figure out how to move the Telo to a more optimal location for an "answering machine."

I would like to hear what the best options are for doing this (quality/reliability and ease of install). Choices as I see them:

1. Use Homeplugs to connect between the router and the new location of the Telo. I have an older house and not sure if Homeplugs will work with my wiring. But I'd can it a try.
2. Will a wireless phone jack work? Are they are reliable enough?
3. Run an ethernet cable between the router and the new location for the Telo. This will work of course, but I'd have to hire someone to do this wiring.

Anything else? Thanks much for helping,

Buy a pair of Linksys PLE200 units. You can actually find them in a kit (PLK200) that comes with two PLE200 units.

Plug one into a power outlet and connect it to your router using the LAN cable. This will act as a bridge for the HomePlug network.

Plug the other into a power outlet and connect it to the INTERNET port of the Ooma device using the LAN cable.

Regardless of how old your house is, those units are rated up to 200Mbps and under the worse conditions you can probably get about 50Mbps - more than enough to get VOIP working properly.

Download Netlimiter free version and check the bandwidth transmissions. You can even install the PLE200 software and do it from there, though I have found it to be less than reliable.

If you buy the HomePlug AV units at a local store, you can always return them if they don't work. Also, later you can extend this network by just adding PLE200 units wherever needed.

While you can use any other brand, I only mention Linksys because I have six of them in my home and they work great. If they have newer models, of course try those because they come with the newer chipsets.

UPDATE: I see they have the PLE300 out now.