Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41725 by dbaral
Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:02 pm
I have just finished setting up ooma Telo. I have a combined router/modem, and so I
chose Option 2b. The connections are: (1) Home Network Switch > Telo Home Network input,
and (2) Telo Internet output > router/modem.

Although the connections work well, I can no longer access the router/modem by typing its address
(http://192.... etc) to make changes in the settings. If I remove Telo from the configuration,
it is possible to access the router/modem settings in the normal way.

The router/modem is a Motorola SBG900 and the switch is a standard Netgear which connects to
two computers via ethernet cable and a third via the home wiring.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
#41729 by indie_dev
Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:14 pm
Your setup has replaced your internal LAN IP range with the 172.xxx range used by the Telo. Thats why you can no longer access your modem/router using the 192.xx range.

Yet another example of what I've be saying all along in various threads. The Ooma device should be used as a VOIP device and should NOT be used to replace your router/modem functionality - regardless of what anyone tells you.

Revert to your original modem/router/LAN setup, then plug the Ooma into a port on your switch via its INTERNET port and don't plug anything into the Ooma HOME port. Disconnect everything from the power and power them all up in the modem/router, switch, ooma sequence.

Read this thread for some help with configuring your setup.
Last edited by indie_dev on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#41730 by tommies
Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:17 pm
The Home Network Switch in (1) should directly connect to a LAN port on the modem/router combo, not the HOME port of telo.

The telo HOME port should be empty. When you need to access telo setup page, temporary connect a pc/laptop to its HOME port and go to setup.ooma.com
#41773 by dbaral
Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:22 pm
"Revert to your original modem/router/LAN setup, then plug the Ooma into a port on your switch via its INTERNET port and don't plug anything into the Ooma HOME port. Disconnect everything from the power and power them all up in the modem/router, switch, ooma sequence."

Many thanks, indie_dev, for the clear response. I appreciate the step-by-step, and the explanation of why I lost contact with the modem/router.