Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41616 by Tucker_Troy
Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:58 am
Having problems with call waiting and CID. I have Ooma set-up with integrated landline but I can't get CID or call waiting to work (I get the call waiting beep in the handset but unable to transfer over). I see on the forums that other customers are having similar problems. I don't want to give up my landline until I can verify that all the Ooma features are working as advertised. Is there an approved solution for this? Is Ooma addressing this? Do I need to go buy another handset? (I have a Panasonic KXTG5652) I hope this is not a ploy to get me to purchase the Ooma handset. I'm afraid that unless these issues get addressed quickly, my Ooma days are numbered...TT
#41625 by caseybea
Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 am
Two key items from your post: "...integrated landline" and more important, "I don't want to give up my landline until I am sure I have no problems" (paraphrasing)....

From what I've read, yeah, there's problems with the integration thing. What I would recommend is what I have- a totally separate setup. Specifically, I have not touched my landline, I've set up the ooma as a new device, and only have one of my home's phone jacks wired into it. The end result is, depending on which phone I'm using, I'm using either the old landline, or the new ooma. I have given my friends my 'ooma number', telling them that this is a temporary setup that I am testing out.

Inbound calls, outbound calls, voicemail, caller-id-name, it all just works. I have my teen daughter using the ooma line a lot, and am getting her feedback.

Once I am satisfied with the test period, I'll port my home number over.

If your goal is to (eventually) drop the landline, which it sounds like it is-- then try the above? Let us know if the situation improves.
#41638 by bw1
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:15 am
Most of us here recommend not integrating your landline, whether your just testing the Ooma service and will eventually port your number or even if you want to keep your landline for a backup service. The reason is that all incoming calls and local outgoing and 911 calls will be through your landline service. Only long distance calls will be through the Ooma service. Also, you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

To have caller id with an integrated landline you have to have caller id from your landline phone service:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=194&p=685#p685

Dennis P wrote:ooma is only able to provide caller-id information for calls received on ooma phone numbers. We are unable to provide caller-id information on calls received on a landline (you must subscribe to caller-id from your phone company in that case). If you were to cancel your landline and pick an ooma phone number or port your landline number to ooma, caller-id would then be provided.

To have call waiting, You must contact Ooma customer support and have your landline provisioned to add call forward busy to your landline. This is an additional monthly charge and allows you to accept a second call when the landline is in use. They also remove voicemail, call waiting and call forwarding. See here:

http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/articl ... 19&p=12040
#41683 by Tucker_Troy
Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. However, before I port my number I want to make absolutely that sure Ooma is everything it's advertised to be; only then will I make the switch permanent. And I will not pay extra just have call waiting...

When I initially installed Ooma I used a dedicated phone jack in my office that went to one phone. Everything worked fine. Now I want to expand my test area to other areas of the house so the entire family can participate in the test period. I connected my wireless Panasonic base unit to the office phone jack so my other handsets would be on Ooma as well. It works, as I have the Ooma dial tone on the other handsets and can make and receive calls, but I lost call waiting and CID. I ordered five new Uniden Dect 6 phone (needed to upgrade my handsets anyway) to see if that will resolve the issue. I'll update my post when this happens.

Overall, I'm happy with the call clarity just want to make sure everything else works before I port my number and cut my landline. If anyone else has any ideas, please post.

Thanks,
TT
#41689 by indie_dev
Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 pm
Tucker_Troy wrote:I ordered five new Uniden Dect 6 phone (needed to upgrade my handsets anyway) to see if that will resolve the issue. I'll update my post when this happens.

It may or may not work. See here.

Overall, I'm happy with the call clarity just want to make sure everything else works before I port my number and cut my landline. If anyone else has any ideas, please post.

Don't get rid of your land line or you might regret it down the road. Just this week alone, due to the whether, I've had internet cable service knocked out three times and for extended periods of time. In one instance, apparently the cable amp down the street actually froze.

Sure you can use your cell phone, but guess what happens if you don't have a signal.

I reduced my land line service to the bare minimum (caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding), killed local and LD calling etc and dropped my monthly bill from $92 to $48.

Then today, I removed my land line from my Ooma by calling Ooma support and getting an Ooma tel line. Then I forwarded my land line to my Ooma number and unplugged Ooma from my land line wall socket. I have a regular phone (which I use with MagicJack for intnl. calls) which can be plugged into the land line in case my network goes down and I need to make calls.

Now my caller ID works fine again.

I also disabled the Ooma voice mail by going to myOoma and setting it to 59 mins. This is because I'd rather use the ans. machine on my standard phones on which it is set to answer in 4 rings - long before the Ooma one kicks in.
#41824 by indie_dev
Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:14 am
Tucker_Troy wrote:Excellent ideas Indie! I'll give your set-up a try...TT

You're welcome.

One thing to note is that with this setup - assuming you do get a dedicated Ooma tel # - when you call out, the CID that is sent will be your new Ooma #, not your land-line number. I had forgotten about this...until I called my wife and she had no clue who was calling. :)