Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41657 by indie_dev
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:19 am
AZdevil wrote:
Let me just state one more time as my initial preference may have been lost. I would like to hook up the Telo in the following configuration: Cable Modem>>>Dlink Router>>>Telo.
Thoughts?

Don't do it.

Reason why not?

For one thing, I'm not even sure what modem->router->telo means within the scope of YOUR discussion because while that is what you SEEM to be doing, you have the Telo connected via the HOME port instead of the INTERNET port - and that config has a whole different set of rules and issues that go with it.

So, thats what I mean when I say don't do it. You should not have anything connected to the HOME port of the Telo. So, again, don't do it - unless of course you want to keep running around in circles.

Aveamantium wrote:It is relevant if you're telling people to "don't do it" when discussing the Modem>Router>Telo config. And if I'm wrong on both accounts than whey are you the only one stating that this is an issue!?

Sorry, but I don't really care to debate inane issues when I have painstakingly made posts outlying my position and reasoning.

And I'm not telling "people" to do anything. I'm addressing specific issues based on ONE person's experience. And since I have a similar router, I decided to help HIM out.

We're just going around in circles here.There are only two issues here. You either want your device to work, or you don't. Pick one.

So instead of arguing about it, why don't you do what I did and make a post that has empirical and evidentiary context that what I'm posting is incorrect. I know for a fact that its not because MY config as written works 100% just fine. Thats my yardstick.
#41694 by AZdevil
Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:55 pm
thank you for the replies.

@ indie_dev: I only have the router currently connected to the Home port as it is currently in front of my router. So we are in agreement that nothing should be in the Home port when placed behind the router. Clearly information got lost in all the posts as I never had the Telo in front of the router and anything plugged into the Home port. Surely this misconception was from my inept explanation of my setup or a simple misread. At any rate thank you for the clarification and suggestions. I will try out your post later when I get home from work.

Again thank you to all, and I will post an update later tonight.
#41697 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 pm
I'm honestly not trying to argue with you here but when you mentioned that Modem>Router>Telo (my shorthand for Option 2B) was somehting that the OP shouldn't do I got concerned.

However, it looks like you clarified that when you said "For one thing, I'm not even sure what modem->router->telo means within the scope of YOUR discussion because while that is what you SEEM to be doing, you have the Telo connected via the HOME port instead of the INTERNET port - and that config has a whole different set of rules and issues that go with it."

Anyway, just one big happy family here and I'm the last person that wants to attack anyone! Peace. :cool:
#41709 by indie_dev
Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm
AZdevil wrote:thank you for the replies.

@ indie_dev: I only have the router currently connected to the Home port as it is currently in front of my router. So we are in agreement that nothing should be in the Home port when placed behind the router. Clearly information got lost in all the posts as I never had the Telo in front of the router and anything plugged into the Home port. Surely this misconception was from my inept explanation of my setup or a simple misread. At any rate thank you for the clarification and suggestions. I will try out your post later when I get home from work.

Again thank you to all, and I will post an update later tonight.

Yeah, "please don't plug your router into your Ooma's HOME port" is the key phrase here. Anyway, print out my instructions (in that referenced thread) and you'll be 100% up and running in no time.

Aveamantium wrote:I'm honestly not trying to argue with you here but when you mentioned that Modem>Router>Telo (my shorthand for Option 2B) was somehting that the OP shouldn't do I got concerned.

However, it looks like you clarified that when you said "For one thing, I'm not even sure what modem->router->telo means within the scope of YOUR discussion because while that is what you SEEM to be doing, you have the Telo connected via the HOME port instead of the INTERNET port - and that config has a whole different set of rules and issues that go with it."

Anyway, just one big happy family here and I'm the last person that wants to attack anyone! Peace. :cool:

No worries mate. No harm, no foul. Sometimes it is hard to get something across in text without the adding an emotional context to it (e.g. a Smiley). I don't see any attacks per se, just round-robin arguments in which some folks don't even bother providing a reasonable explanation for their opposing views. Wars have been waged for much less! :D