Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41601 by EDog
Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 pm
Your terminology clarification was VERY helpful. Your Telo is behind the router if there is a network cable between the router and the Telo INTERNET port. Telo is in front of the router of the cable goes from the router to Telo's HOME port.

With that being said, I don't know why the Telo won't connect when connected behind the router, just as if it were a PC (router->Telo). Is the router blocking / forwarding some ports? Do you have a different router you can test with? Do you have a network switch you can put in between the modem and router so you could just hang the Telo off that?
#41610 by murphy
Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 am
Just to get the terminology straight.

modem -- router -- Telo

is Telo behind the router.

When you make this change are you turning all three items off while you do the wiring?
A modem must be turned off anytime that you change what is connected to it.

Connect a computer to the Telo's Home port
go to http://setup.ooma.com
select the network page in the left column
click the radio button for Use built in MAC address
Click the update button.

Turn everything off, connect in the above order.
Turn the modem on and wait until is synchronizes with your ISP.
Turn on the router and wait until it completes it's power on sequence.
Turn on the Telo.
#41622 by indie_dev
Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:34 am
AZdevil wrote:I have a Linksys Cable modem, Dlink DIR 655 (firmware 1.32NA most recent) router and the Telo. No I did not have the PS3 connected to the Home network port of the Ooma that is what the router is connected to.

Thats your first problem then. NOTHING should be connected to the Home port of the Ooma. The Ooma should be connected directly into the router via the INTERNET port. That router has four available ports for that. Pick one.

Getting a switch would not solve any of my problems all interface would sill be routed through the Router. I only realy need 4 ports. I believe that the router is causing the problems.

I never said that it would. My comment was based on the fact that you seemed to indicate that you needed more ports.

Let me clairify my terminology as I think there is some confusion. When I say the Telo is behind the router I mean my connection is the following: Modem>>>Telo>>>Router(connected to Home Port on Telo) If that is the wrong terminology my apologies. I have to hook it up that way to get the Telo to connect. When I hook it up Modem>>>Router>>>Telo (hooked into one of the Router Lan Ports) as I want it the Telo will not connect and I just get the flashing red Telo symbol.

The Ooma needs to go into one of the four ports on the router. Do this (I just wrote that up based on my setup).

Not the topic, but from my time on google I get that the Play Station Network has trouble with the DIR 655. Something about the Packet Size that PSN uses and that the default SPI firewall does not react well with it.
I am by no means an expert on networking this is all primarily hearsay.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - especially by kooks without a clue. The PS3 and the DIR-655 have had numerous firmware updates and whatever issues there may or may not have been, are probably resolved by now. I have a first gen PS3 and a DIR-655 - no problem ever.

Let me just state one more time as my initial preference may have been lost. I would like to hook up the Telo in the following configuration: Cable Modem>>>Dlink Router>>>Telo.
Thoughts?

Don't do it.
#41627 by AZdevil
Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:15 am
Let me just state one more time as my initial preference may have been lost. I would like to hook up the Telo in the following configuration: Cable Modem>>>Dlink Router>>>Telo.
Thoughts?

Don't do it.[/quote]

Reason why not?
#41648 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:40 am
Wow, I'm confused again... What is the problem with having the setup Modem>Router>Telo!? Please explain!
#41650 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:48 am
Aveamantium wrote:Wow, I'm confused again... What is the problem with having the setup Modem>Router>Telo!? Please explain!

There's not, as long as the Telo's DMZ in this configuration is left blank.
#41651 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 am
Groundhound wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:Wow, I'm confused again... What is the problem with having the setup Modem>Router>Telo!? Please explain!

Then indie_dev and ntoy need to spell that out!

Besides hasn't the DMZ "trick" been disabled!? And isn't this only an issue if you're forwarding TCP Port 80 to 172.27.35.1 in the Telo and you have the Telo's assigned IP in the DMZ of the router!?
#41654 by indie_dev
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am
Aveamantium wrote:
Groundhound wrote:

Then indie_dev and ntoy need to spell that out!

Not really - since that discussion is not within the scope of this particular discussion. Please read as well as the link in my previous post.

Besides hasn't the DMZ "trick" been disabled!? And isn't this only an issue if you're forwarding TCP Port 80 to 172.27.35.1 in the Telo and you have the Telo's assigned IP in the DMZ of the router!?

Wrong on both counts.
#41656 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:18 am
It is relevant if you're telling people to "don't do it" when discussing the Modem>Router>Telo config. And if I'm wrong on both accounts than whey are you the only one stating that this is an issue!?