Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41536 by AZdevil
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:55 pm
I am getting very frustrated and I know it is because of my lack of Networking knowledge. Purchased the Ooma Telo about 3 weeks ago. I am trying to get it hooked up properly. I have gotten a new router, Dlink DIR 655 and have Cable High speed internet. I have to connect the Ooma after my router for a couple of reason, and currently my Dlink will not let Ooma through the firewall. So how do I get past this? I know it has something to do with opening a port for Ooma, however, I do not know the IP address of the Ooma(doesn't the router assign one) and I am not sure what ports I need to open for Ooma. Can someone please walk me through this.

Thank you in advanced.
#41539 by amoney
Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:16 pm
First, I would have to say you do not need to be a expert here, things should be plug and play but sometimes there may be issues, no problem, just need to take a step back and try again.

First question, anything in particular that you see that your router is blocking your Ooma?

By default you should not need to open any ports.
#41540 by ntoy
Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:17 pm
Hello,

It appears that your telo is functioning properly from the log file. If that's nto the case, please
provide further details.

Thx
#41544 by indie_dev
Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
AZdevil wrote:I am getting very frustrated and I know it is because of my lack of Networking knowledge. Purchased the Ooma Telo about 3 weeks ago. I am trying to get it hooked up properly. I have gotten a new router, Dlink DIR 655 and have Cable High speed internet. I have to connect the Ooma after my router for a couple of reason, and currently my Dlink will not let Ooma through the firewall. So how do I get past this? I know it has something to do with opening a port for Ooma, however, I do not know the IP address of the Ooma(doesn't the router assign one) and I am not sure what ports I need to open for Ooma. Can someone please walk me through this.

Thank you in advanced.

I have the same router. You don't need to open any ports on that router for Ooma to work. Connect the Ooma to a port on the router via its INTERNET port using the network cable that came with the Ooma. You do not need to plug ANYTHING into the Ooma HOME port at this point.

The key here is the order in which you do things. So try this:

- unplug the modem power

- unplug the router power

- unplug the Ooma power

...count to 15 seconds

- turn on the modem and wait for it to completely initialize

- turn on the router and wait for it to fire up (about 10 seconds)

- turn on the Ooma. And wait. Eventually it will cycle through and connect just fine.

The router will assign the Ooma an IP address - assuming that you have your router setup as a DHCP host (the default* setting).

Let us know how it goes. Since I have that same router and an Ooma, I can help you with some config issues if the above does not work.

- Open your browser and go to 192.168.0.1 to access the routers config page. Login

- Go to SETUP, then NETWORK SETTINGS and ensure that Enable DHCP server is checked
#41554 by AZdevil
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:18 pm
Yes currently it is working fine because I have it hooked up behind the router. This was a temporary fix so my wife could work from home today. I can't keep it this way because all my house connections are in the master closet in a Media box and the box is too small to house a modem/router/Ooma and then I would have no where to plug my handset into. Moreover, I do not want the telo behind the router because it negates the advantages of having a Gigabyte router

I have come to the conclusion that the conclusion that the router is the problem because I am having issues with the new router and blocking my PS3, because it worked with my old router, and because it works when placed behind the router.

I will try the power down up sequence/ power up sequence but I am doubtful as I am fairly confident that I have tried that. I will try again though.

I got the PS3 working through port forwarding, so I came to the same conclusion that is what was needed with the Ooma. Atleast I am the only one that seems to have this issue. My luck! :D

I appreciate all the input
#41559 by murphy
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 pm
How does putting the Telo behind your router negate having a gigabit router?
Mine is behind the router BECAUSE I have a gigabit router.
With the Telo behind the router there should be nothing connected to the Telo's Home port.
#41567 by AZdevil
Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:07 pm
murphy wrote:How does putting the Telo behind your router negate having a gigabit router?
With the Telo behind the router there should be nothing connected to the Telo's Home port.

I would think that information transfer would only be as fast as the Ooma is capable of providing. Seeing as how the Telo is not equipped with a gigabit ethernet port it is slower than that of the routers ports. To support this, with the current configuration that I have (Telo behind the router) my PS3 runs terrible.

These facts aside it is not possible to put the Telo behind the router inside of the medial box. I need to utilize the extra ports on the back of the router to run connection throughout my house, which is wired with Cat5.
#41572 by murphy
Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
AZdevil wrote:
murphy wrote:How does putting the Telo behind your router negate having a gigabit router?

I would think that information transfer would only be as fast as the Ooma is capable of providing. Seeing as how the Telo is not equipped with a gigabit ethernet port it is slower than that of the routers ports. To support this, with the current configuration that I have (Telo behind the router) my PS3 runs terrible.

These facts aside it is not possible to put the Telo behind the router inside of the medial box. I need to utilize the extra ports on the back of the router to run connection throughout my house, which is wired with Cat5.

Tell me that you don't have your PS3 connected to the Home port of the Telo.

Switches connect two ports together and they run at the highest common speed. They have no effect on what speed the other port pairs will run at.

I have a gigabit router and a cable modem with a gigabit interface. The router has 4 LAN ports. Three ports go to gigabit capable computers. The fourth port feeds a 16 port 10/100 switch which handles the rest of the devices in the house that are not gigabit capable. My Telo is connected to the switch. It has no effect on gigabit transfers between the gigabit computers. Even though the modem has a gigabit interface the fastest I get through the cable modem is 20 megabits per second. That is the bottleneck.
Last edited by murphy on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#41575 by indie_dev
Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:50 pm
AZdevil wrote:

Get a switch? You can pick up a D-Link DGS-2208 for cheap. Then you connect the switch to a port on the DIR-655 and you will have 10 ports (x3 on the DIR-655 + x7 on the DGS-2208) to plug stuff into.

As for game consoles, I have an XB360, PS3 and a Wii, all connected to a DGS-2208 that is connected to a Linksys PLE-200 Homeplug A/V adapter (one is also plugged into a DIR-655 port and acts as a network bridge). And I don't need to do any port forwarding whatsoever to get them to work.

So you must have quite a strange setup. If you post your hardware and a description of how things are connected, that might help.
#41594 by AZdevil
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 pm
I have a Linksys Cable modem, Dlink DIR 655 (firmware 1.32NA most recent) router and the Telo. No I did not have the PS3 connected to the Home network port of the Ooma that is what the router is connected to.

Getting a switch would not solve any of my problems all interface would sill be routed through the Router. I only realy need 4 ports. I believe that the router is causing the problems.

Let me clairify my terminology as I think there is some confusion. When I say the Telo is behind the router I mean my connection is the following: Modem>>>Telo>>>Router(connected to Home Port on Telo) If that is the wrong terminology my apologies. I have to hook it up that way to get the Telo to connect. When I hook it up Modem>>>Router>>>Telo (hooked into one of the Router Lan Ports) as I want it the Telo will not connect and I just get the flashing red Telo symbol.

Not the topic, but from my time on google I get that the Play Station Network has trouble with the DIR 655. Something about the Packet Size that PSN uses and that the default SPI firewall does not react well with it.
I am by no means an expert on networking this is all primarily hearsay.

But back to Telo, I just use general logic that the router is causing problems with Telo. Telo works fine when directly conntect to the modem alone. Works fine when the Telo is hook up Modem>>>>Telo>>>>Router but does not work when hooked into the router. Modem>>>Router>>>Telo. So I am just making the bold assumption that the Router and its Firewall is the problem.

Let me just state one more time as my initial preference may have been lost. I would like to hook up the Telo in the following configuration: Cable Modem>>>Dlink Router>>>Telo.
Thoughts?