Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41456 by JTalbert
Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:54 am
I stumbled across Ooma a few weeks ago, was searching for ways to dump Cox for our phone. We pay almost $50 a month and we have been looking at Vonage and other VOIP providers and read about Ooma and it really got me excited to switch. I just got my Ooma from Costco, they have a special deal, you pay $226 for Telo, and with it you get 6 months free Premier and $100 international calling Credit. I am at work and just did the activation, and about to head home at lunch and plug it in and let it go through its setup process. Hopefully by the time I have to leave to go back to work, it will be fully operational for me to test it. Once I confirm it works, will start the process to port my number from Cox.

It amazes me that it takes 3 weeks to port a number for a land line, I worked for Apple for a while and I know that when you would port your cell number from Verizon, or Sprint, the port was almost instantaneous in most cases. With it taking a few weeks I am glad I am going to start the process mid bill cycle and hope its complete before I am rebilled by Cox. I am going to be so happy to see my cable bill go down about $40 a month.
#41458 by Potts
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:07 am
Welcome to the site. I have the Scout/Hub setup. And I really love it. I'm porting from AT&T.
#41459 by murphy
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 am
Cell phone porting operates under different rules and there are not very many cell phone companies.

There are lots of land line companies.
The first one to issue a number owns it forever.
You don't "own" your number.

Mine was issued by Verizon (Bell Atlantic) in the 60s.
I ported it to Vonage.

5 years later I ported it to Ooma.
That involved Vonage reversing the port to return it to Verizon and then Ooma picking it up from Verizon.
#41460 by caseybea
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 am
Welcome! Yes, ooma is cool stuff.

I would assume that the porting process taking a long time has mostly to do with that you're not dealing with cell carriers. Cell companies, as the phone number portability thing approached, set up their infrastructure to handle it. I think most of the land-line carriers did it as an afterthought.

Cell lines are ported all the time, I do not believe land lines are 'ported' as often.

Yes, it's a pain that it can take several weeks - the way I look at it is, I've been "over-paying" AT&T for YEARS. If it takes a few more weeks to get the port to happen, so be it...
#41464 by JTalbert
Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:05 am
I just got back. I plugged in the Ooma according to the instructions, going from my cable modem, to the ooma, from the ooma to my wireless router.

At first my wireless was not working, had a double NAT, corrected that, and Ooma was doing its thing, blinking blue and I was able to access the internet. Then all of a sudden my internet on my computer died an I looked at my Ooma and it was now blinking fast red. Is this normal during the update for internet access to the internet? I would assume possibly so, since the internet is passed through the Ooma, if it was updating the SW then it would not be able to pass through the network connection.

I am back at work, so I wont know till I get home if my Ooma is working or still blinking red.

Is there a way I can log into My Ooma and from the settings or something there see if its working? At some point it should tell me the firmware its operating from correct? And with that I should know the Ooma is working?

Thanks.
#41507 by caseybea
Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:18 pm
When I first plugged in my Ooma (hub), it booted up, eventually got to the blue-light-on happy status, and within 5 minutes, it shut down and rebooted. Since this was the very first time my hub had connected, it was doing a firmware update. It was back and running (shiny blue light) again within a minute, two at the most. I would assume the Telo does the exact same thing.

if you get home and your unit it still 'red', then something is amiss, and I recommend you carefully start over, plugging in and powering up one device at a time.
#41519 by Names
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:01 pm
I am also new to ooma.

I just got my Hub and Scout Monday. I set them up yesterday and life was great. It is a new phone number with the new activation. No home phone service but I have DSL for the internet through Verizon on the phone line. I was talking up a storm. Today at 4:30 I missed a phone call and I thought nothing of it and then twenty minutes later I went over to make a phone call and it was dead (there was no blue light or red light or nothing. I tried turing everything off and restarting from the beginning but there is no sign of activity in my Hub. My internet is working fine and I checked my ssytem capactity for VOIP and I come it at 91%. Has anyone had this happen before? Any suggestions or insight? Please help. Thank you.

Naomi
#41526 by murphy
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:17 pm
Turn the brightness knob on the right side of the unit up to maximum.
#41535 by JTalbert
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 pm
Ok, got home, had the RBD (Red blink of death) Checking my network and such, I think my Airport extreme wigged out. I could not get any network connection at all. I reset my AE to get network again, and Hooked up the Ooma at the end of the chain for now, just to see if it will work and it is working. I may keep it this way and change it if I have problems.

The one question I have now, is how do I access the setup.ooma.com ? So I can check my firmware, I tried to access it and its not working.
#41541 by amoney
Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:20 pm
JTalbert wrote:Ok, got home, had the RBD (Red blink of death) Checking my network and such, I think my Airport extreme wigged out. I could not get any network connection at all. I reset my AE to get network again, and Hooked up the Ooma at the end of the chain for now, just to see if it will work and it is working. I may keep it this way and change it if I have problems.

The one question I have now, is how do I access the setup.ooma.com ? So I can check my firmware, I tried to access it and its not working.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5466&start=0

In the Telo, add forwarding rule for port 80 and the IP of the Telo LAN 172.etc, people also recommend to set the Telo MAC address to use built in instead of automatic. You can also see what the assigned IP address the Telo has recieved from your router.

Back on your LAN behind your router, be sure to renew your IP (reboot), type that IP address and you schould be in.

NOTE

A small home network your DHCP really does not change much, so you can leave things as DHCP, if you want you can assign static IP address for your Telo (designated IP that will not change), so you dont have issues in the future.

You can also see your Telo in your router clint table IP address list. For some reason I dont see the Telo in mine, perhaps it has something to do with the MAC option in the Telo, I have not changed mine yet. I figured my Telo is working perfect, I have no need to make changes. Cardnal rule if it ant broke dont fix it.