Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#40982 by caseybea
Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:39 pm
Hi- relatively new user. Cool stuff thus far. Here's my question (I want to confirm before I plug things in this way and risk shorting out something..).

My setup thus far is this:

.... Ooma Hub > [phone port] > (common home wiring) > Phone

Works like a charm.

At a separate room location, I also tested out the scout using a dedicated line:

Ooma Hub > [wall port] > .. (dedicated wire pair-- for now) ....... [wall port] > Scout

Here's my problem. In an ideal situation, location "X" would have a scout, and then a phone plugged into IT. Sadly, I have discovered I have the same issue many many people have reported, that the call quality of a call that goes THROUGH the scout has issues-- the remote person in the phone call often hears crackling / garbled audio. BUT.. I really like the one-button voicemail functionality of the scout. I want it in my kitchen, next to my phone....

Can I do something like this?

Ooma Hub > [wall port] > (common phone wiring)...
> [phone port] > (common phone wiring)...

and then where the scout is:
...(common phone wiring) > Phone
...(common phone wiring) > [wall port] > Scout

My understanding is that theoretically-- this should work- as the phone signal for the house phones (carried throughout the home over the common phone wiring) can SHARE the signals that the Hub//Scout communicate with over the same wiring - because the HPNA between the hub and scout operate at totally different frequencies. (kindas like dsl..).

The result would be that at the location where the scout is-- I still have a phone, I still have a scout- and I avoid the issue of call quality ruined by going THROUGH the scout.

Comments?
#40986 by bw1
Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:59 pm
Yes, you can do that by running both phone and wall ports to a splitter and then to the wall jack.

You could also use the line 1 / line 2 wiring in your common home wiring.
#40992 by jmassimilla
Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:19 am
caseybea wrote:Hi- relatively new user. Cool stuff thus far. Here's my question (I want to confirm before I plug things in this way and risk shorting out something..).

My setup thus far is this:

.... Ooma Hub > [phone port] > (common home wiring) > Phone

Works like a charm.

At a separate room location, I also tested out the scout using a dedicated line:

Ooma Hub > [wall port] > .. (dedicated wire pair-- for now) ....... [wall port] > Scout

Here's my problem. In an ideal situation, location "X" would have a scout, and then a phone plugged into IT. Sadly, I have discovered I have the same issue many many people have reported, that the call quality of a call that goes THROUGH the scout has issues-- the remote person in the phone call often hears crackling / garbled audio. BUT.. I really like the one-button voicemail functionality of the scout. I want it in my kitchen, next to my phone....

Can I do something like this?

Ooma Hub > [wall port] > (common phone wiring)...
> [phone port] > (common phone wiring)...

and then where the scout is:
...(common phone wiring) > Phone
...(common phone wiring) > [wall port] > Scout

My understanding is that theoretically-- this should work- as the phone signal for the house phones (carried throughout the home over the common phone wiring) can SHARE the signals that the Hub//Scout communicate with over the same wiring - because the HPNA between the hub and scout operate at totally different frequencies. (kindas like dsl..).

The result would be that at the location where the scout is-- I still have a phone, I still have a scout- and I avoid the issue of call quality ruined by going THROUGH the scout.

Comments?

I have the same setup at different locations in my home for the same reasons that you stated and it works well.
I also have another phone plugged into a scout at a central location to take advantage of the second line feature. I haven't had any issues with voice quality with the scout.
#41085 by caseybea
Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:51 pm
jmassimilla wrote:I have the same setup at different locations in my home for the same reasons that you stated and it works well.
I also have another phone plugged into a scout at a central location to take advantage of the second line feature. I haven't had any issues with voice quality with the scout.

Cool, thanks for verifying.

I did extensive tests making OUTBOUND calls THROUGH the scout; I consistently get scratchy audio, which is only discernable at the remote end of the call. I tested this by leaving lengthy voicemail messages to my phone at my office. Every call through the scout-- crappy scratchy audio. But as soon as I connected my phone directly to the hub (via home wiring) - calls were MUCH MUCH better. This kind of test had the benefit of *me* hearing how the call quality sounded... :)

Disappointing, but because I can still have the phone+scout at a particular location via a splitter- my requirements will still be met.

It's no surprise there's a glut of scouts available on eBay... :-)