Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#40431 by EDog
Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:21 am
When I go to my.ooma.com and start the process of porting my existing landline, there is a checkbox I must check for 'There is no DSL service associated with this phone number '. It also goes on to say I *must* seperate my voice/DSL before porting, and to call my carrier to do this. When I call my carrier they say it must be done at the same time my number is ported to Ooma otherwise I'll loose my voice line. I think Ooma is the one dealing with my carrier on my behalf to port the number, and therefore they should be the ones to request to seperate the DSL/Voice.

Is this something Ooma will do or should I do it?
#40435 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 am
EDog wrote:When I go to my.ooma.com and start the process of porting my existing landline, there is a checkbox I must check for 'There is no DSL service associated with this phone number '. It also goes on to say I *must* seperate my voice/DSL before porting, and to call my carrier to do this. When I call my carrier they say it must be done at the same time my number is ported to Ooma otherwise I'll loose my voice line. I think Ooma is the one dealing with my carrier on my behalf to port the number, and therefore they should be the ones to request to seperate the DSL/Voice.

Is this something Ooma will do or should I do it?

You'll have to do it. Ooma (or any phone company) can only act to carry out your instructions for number porting - not with any other aspects of your phone or Internet service with another company. If your DSL service is linked to your landline phone service when the landline number ports to Ooma, your landline/DSL provider will close your DSL account at the same time they close your landline phone account - Ooma has no control over that.
#40439 by The Talker
Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 am
Now I am worried. Verizon told me my dry loop would transfer automatically when the porting happens. I've updated billing to credit card billing for the pending transfer to dry loop service. I now wonder if Verizon customer service was blowing smoke towards me.
I'm starting to toss and turn at night wondering if this is all going to work out and I'll not have interrupted service or loos my number. My pending port date is 15 January.
#40466 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:25 am
The Talker wrote:Now I am worried. Verizon told me my dry loop would transfer automatically when the porting happens. I've updated billing to credit card billing for the pending transfer to dry loop service. I now wonder if Verizon customer service was blowing smoke towards me.
I'm starting to toss and turn at night wondering if this is all going to work out and I'll not have interrupted service or loos my number. My pending port date is 15 January.

Since your DSL provider, Verizon, told you it would transfer to dry loop automatically it should happen the way they said (I'd reconfirm with them just to be sure). In any case, the status of a DSL account being attached to landline phone service or stand-alone dry loop is not within Ooma's control.
#40527 by Quicksprj
Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:04 pm
I had qwest dsl on the same line as phone. When I potted over I called them a couple of times to confirm with them that they would be setting up a dry loop number at the same time the port went through so I wouldn't be without home phone or dsl. They assured me it would be done the same day but said it could be a few hours without dsl. Day came and port happened without a hitch and dsl was down less than 1 minute. No problems since then which was around July. Now I pay 27 for qwest dsl and $99 a year for phone. I love saving money and getting added benifits over qwest. Ooma has been great for me. I would just stay on Verizon. The squeky wheel gets oil.
#40536 by EDog
Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:39 pm
Thanks everyone. I called Qwest a couple of times, and as Quicksprj noted, the second time I called they say they will take care of it when Ooma ports the number. The ball is rolling, and once the process is finished, I'll try and get back on this thread and update it with my experience. One annoying note, Qwest wants to INCREASE my DSL fees from $28 to $33 (I have a seperate ISP) if I drop my voice. WTF? Fortunately, I've got Verizon wireless and I can bundle that account with Qwest and receive a $5 credit, so we are back down to $28 per month. This sounds like (information super) highway robbery.
#40541 by tommies
Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:44 pm
EDog wrote:Thanks everyone. I called Qwest a couple of times, and as Quicksprj noted, the second time I called they say they will take care of it when Ooma ports the number. The ball is rolling, and once the process is finished, I'll try and get back on this thread and update it with my experience. One annoying note, Qwest wants to INCREASE my DSL fees from $28 to $33 (I have a seperate ISP) if I drop my voice. WTF? Fortunately, I've got Verizon wireless and I can bundle that account with Qwest and receive a $5 credit, so we are back down to $28 per month. This sounds like (information super) highway robbery.

Same here with ATT DSL dry loop + ATT wireless. Otherwise the DSL monthly will increase by $5.
#40550 by jrg716
Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:54 pm
I am a verizon customer and went through a similar port in December. I had DSL associated with my phone number and contacted Verizon to confirm that I wanted to maintain the DSL service after the port. As stated by Verizon, my DSL service did convert to dry loop after the port. Shortly after the port, I receive an email and phone call asking me to confirm with the Verizon billing department that I still wanted the DSL service. I think they gave me 7 days to respond or the DSL would terminate. I confirmed with them. Just keep in mind the cost of the DSL service will likely go up.

Mine cost 29.99 before the port and they told me it would go up to 49.99 w/o a commitment. I made a one year commitment and got it down to 39.99. Combine the billing with a cell phone and got it down to approx. 35.00. I never got as far as threatening to cancel, so not sure what deal they would give you.
#40556 by The Talker
Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:06 pm
The Talker wrote:......I'm starting to toss and turn at night wondering if this is all going to work out and I'll not have interrupted service or loos my number. My pending port date is 15 January.

jrg716 wrote:...Shortly after the port, I receive an email and phone call asking me to confirm with the Verizon billing department that I still wanted the DSL service. I think they gave me 7 days to respond or the DSL would terminate. ....

I'm glad to read a real time experience. I'll sleep much better now!
#44011 by EDog
Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 pm
Update:
The number port went fine, except I couldn't log into my.ooma.com. Had to click on get temp password (or whatever it is when you forget your password) to fix that. Also, my ooma assigned number stopped working and had to call support to fix that. Now all is well.

Interesting observation is my Qwest landline still has a dial tone and I can still dial out on it, and the called phone shows my landline number correctly. It doesn't ring however when my number is called, just the Ooma line rings. It's like I've got two outgoing lines for the same number, but only one incoming line. I called Qwest and they said (unconvincingly) it is the result of dropping voice but keeping DSL. Not sure if the Qwest rep knew what she was talking about or not. At least she resided in the USA and not India. I verified my monthly fee was still $28, so whatever...