Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#40384 by danjb
Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:47 pm
I have used a Telo and a Telo handset successfully since November. I received a second handset at the end of December and asked Got a second handset, should I wait to install? in the linked post. I was told to watch the My Ooma -> Account -> System page, which at the time had a warning about only a single handset is currently supported, so I waited.

I went to that page today, and saw the warning had been removed, with specific instructions about being sure to power-cycle the Telo before registering a second handset. I followed those instructions with the new handset. It asked for my PIN when it powered on, then appeared to issue a message saying it was "Handset 3". I would have thought this weird, except my first handset says Handset 2 all the time, so I figured this was ok.

I hit the green button and put it to my ear, and heard a burst of static. I checked the new handset display, and it was garbled, then it displayed a "HS SW update Loading ..." message. It got all the way to 100%, then issued a brief message about "Max handsets reached" or some such thing (it went by too quick for me to read), then went back to "HS SW update Loading ..." Again, it got to 100%, said it was "Handset 3" again, then immediately went to "HS SW update Loading ..." This time it has stayed stuck at 0% for the last 15 minutes.

I saw the Ooma Telo 32829 Release Notes post saying multiple handsets had been enabled and updates were being rolled out. Should I just sit tight in the hopes that maybe my Telo has not updated yet and it will shortly? Should I try power cycling the Telo again? Do I have a defective handset? Incidentally, the old handset has worked fine through all this, for which I am appreciative.

I tried resetting the handset stuck on 0%, and after it powers up, it gives the message "Max handsets exceeded. See ooma.com/pin." Do I need a new pin to work with the new handset? I just used the pin which shows at that page for me, which is the same pin I put in for my first handset.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
#40397 by knytryder
Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 pm
I have the same problem, was told they still have issues and I will be contacted when second telo handset can be added. If you know how to use the telo handset as an extension to the first line? When someone rings my phone and I pick it up, how can I get someone in the other room to be able to pick up the telo handset and connect to the active call. Right now, it is connected to the second line, but there has to be a way to allow the person to connect to the main call like any normal extension phone..right? Saw where it says to push the "Flash Button", but there is no Flash button on the new telo handset. I have looked all over..would appreciate any help. I am new here
#40400 by murphy
Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 am
danjb wrote:I saw the Ooma Telo 32829 Release Notes post saying multiple handsets had been enabled and updates were being rolled out. Should I just sit tight in the hopes that maybe my Telo has not updated yet and it will shortly? Should I try power cycling the Telo again? Do I have a defective handset? Incidentally, the old handset has worked fine through all this, for which I am appreciative.

I tried resetting the handset stuck on 0%, and after it powers up, it gives the message "Max handsets exceeded. See ooma.com/pin." Do I need a new pin to work with the new handset? I just used the pin which shows at that page for me, which is the same pin I put in for my first handset.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have you received the update yet? If not, multiple handsets are not going to work until you do.
Go to http://setup.ooma.com and select the status page.
What is the revision level of your firmware?
If it's not 32829, all you can do is wait.
#40423 by The Talker
Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:56 am
TechExplorer wrote:can a telo base station be forced to get update,if so how ?

I have been trying the method below all morning and I can not get my Telo Base to reset.

1. Unplug the Telo power cord for 30 seconds, then plug back in.

2. As the Telo begins its startup, the 1 & 2 buttons will light up for a short while, followed briefly by the trash and envelope buttons, and then the bottom row of buttons will begin to flash in a scrolling sequence, which will continue approximately 28 times.

3. At the end of the blue flashing bottom row period, the Ooma logo will begin to flash red - IMMEDIATELY hold down the "stop" and "trash" buttons and the Ooma logo will alternatively flash red and blue. Continue to hold down the "stop" and "trash" buttons until the logo turns solid red and then goes out. After the logo goes out release the buttons and the Telo will restart.

You can see a poor quality video of the procedure here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNW7BqAftQw
#40424 by Aveamantium
Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:57 am
TechExplorer wrote:can a telo base station be forced to get update,if so how ?

You can try a power cycle but typically no you can not force the update (the power cycle only works if the firmware has been "pushed"). Just following the forum, it doesn't seem like the latest firmware has been pushed for some reason?
#40440 by Tony
Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:19 am
All of the Telos on the field should now have the firmware 32829 and you should be able to have all your handsets (up to 4) working. PM me or post a reply here if you still have issues.
#40441 by The Talker
Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:21 am
Tony wrote:All of the Telos on the field should now have the firmware 32829 and you should be able to have all your handsets (up to 4) working. PM me or post a reply here if you still have issues.

I got issues!
Device Status - Rev: 1.32342
#40446 by aidanc5
Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:39 am
I still have issues also. Handset restarts, seems to work and then goes to "Max handsets exceeded" message.

Also, the link above doesn't seem to work so how do I see the firmware version?

Thanks.
#40447 by Tony
Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 am
My mistake in my comment dated Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:19 am.

All Telos upgrade will be finished by Thursday 7th mid-day (not today the 6th).

If your Telo has not upgraded to 32829 and you are impatient, you may send me a PM and we will upgrade yours sooner.