Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#40250 by tud
Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:45 am
I am new to ooma telo, and was just woindering what the difference is between two setups - telo before router and telo after router? I had VOIP with another company for years before and always had their box after router. I have cable modem from comcast. Because of telecommuting, internet connection to my PC is most important and second comes the phone. My concern is in case telo doesn't work, my PC/internet should stay working as long as nothing is wrong with comcast connection. Or does setup matter? Thanks.
#40264 by bw1
Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 am
The primary difference is call quality while there is other network activity. If you have the Telo before the router, it can provide conditional QOS - only reserving bandwidth for the phone call while the call is in progress.
If you have the Telo after the router then you may need the router to perform QOS, depending on the available bandwidth.

Otherwise, it should be transparent regardless of which setup you choose. I've had my Ooma's connected both ways and both ways work well.
#41472 by murphy
Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am
yo5354 wrote:I'm using a Linksys N router and the Telo would only work before it. It would not connect if I placed it after the router.

I have a Hub and a Telo behind a Linksys n gigabit router and they both work fine.