Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39917 by UFGator84
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:07 am
I currently have a home network set up with cat-5 cable outlets around the house. I'd like to put the Ooma hub near our all-in-one printer (fax/copy/print). The printer is currently set up with an ethernet cable and a phone line running from the wall to the all-in-one. To install the Ooma hub and still have fax and network printing capabilities, can I run the ethernet cable from the wall to the Ooma hub's modem port, then another cable from Ooma's home port to the all-in-one printer, and then finally a phone line from Ooma's home port to the all-in-one's phone-line-in port?

Or, do I need to get a multi-port ethernet switch to plug into the wall and run separate ethernet cables directly to the hub and all-in-one, and not have the all-in-one network connection running thru the Hub?

Or, is there another configuration I should consider (i.e. does the all-in-one fax machine have to be connected directly to the Ooma hub, or can it be connected via the Scout)?

I can't seem to get a consistent answer from tech support, but it seems like a fairly common issue for those with all-in-one printer/fax machines.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or insight you have!
#39939 by allo
Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:05 pm
UFGator84 wrote:I currently have a home network set up with cat-5 cable outlets around the house. I'd like to put the Ooma hub near our all-in-one printer (fax/copy/print). The printer is currently set up with an ethernet cable and a phone line running from the wall to the all-in-one. To install the Ooma hub and still have fax and network printing capabilities, can I run the ethernet cable from the wall to the Ooma hub's modem port, then another cable from Ooma's home port to the all-in-one printer, and then finally a phone line from Ooma's home port to the all-in-one's phone-line-in port?

Or, do I need to get a multi-port ethernet switch to plug into the wall and run separate ethernet cables directly to the hub and all-in-one, and not have the all-in-one network connection running thru the Hub?

Or, is there another configuration I should consider (i.e. does the all-in-one fax machine have to be connected directly to the Ooma hub, or can it be connected via the Scout)?

I can't seem to get a consistent answer from tech support, but it seems like a fairly common issue for those with all-in-one printer/fax machines.

If you upgraded to Windows 7 (I am assuming you are using Ms), there is an alternative to the classic Networking all together assuming all units can be connected wireless . It is called HOMEGROUP which is very easy to set up without going trough the router... and it is very convenient.
#39972 by amoney
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:57 pm
allo wrote:
UFGator84 wrote:I currently have a home network set up with cat-5 cable outlets around the house. I'd like to put the Ooma hub near our all-in-one printer (fax/copy/print). The printer is currently set up with an ethernet cable and a phone line running from the wall to the all-in-one. To install the Ooma hub and still have fax and network printing capabilities, can I run the ethernet cable from the wall to the Ooma hub's modem port, then another cable from Ooma's home port to the all-in-one printer, and then finally a phone line from Ooma's home port to the all-in-one's phone-line-in port?

If you upgraded to Windows 7 (I am assuming you are using Ms), there is an alternative to the classic Networking all together assuming all units can be connected wireless . It is called HOMEGROUP which is very easy to set up without going trough the router... and it is very convenient.

If everything was wireless the OP would not have a issue as everything would be on the same network, now thats what I call easy. Ugh those dam MS wizards, I hate them so much lol.

I agree you going to have to get a small switch to split the network drop at your all in one. Unless you want to pull another network run through the wall depending how hard that may be.
#40198 by Cozyone
Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 pm
I am trying to get my all-in-one printer to FAX via my Ooma Hub.

My set-up is working fine for printing via the wireless network, but the FAX isn't working yet (no dial tone). I have the all-in-one connected with ethernet cable to the router and the phone line cable is plugged into a splitter (along with my cordless phone base) to the Hub Phone port.

I went out and purchased a multi-port ethernet switch as described earlier in this thread. But I have no idea as to where I should put it in the system and what to plug into it.

Ideas?
#40214 by Groundhound
Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:21 am
Cozyone wrote:My set-up is working fine for printing via the wireless network, but the FAX isn't working yet (no dial tone). I have the all-in-one connected with ethernet cable to the router and the phone line cable is plugged into a splitter (along with my cordless phone base) to the Hub Phone port.

If you have dial tone on your cordless phone base but not at your fax connected to the same splitter, there must be some problem with either the way you have your fax phone line connected, the phone cord, or the splitter. Check to make sure you have the phone cord plugged into the fax's phone line port and not the port used for connecting another phone handset.

Cozyone wrote:I went out and purchased a multi-port ethernet switch as described earlier in this thread. But I have no idea as to where I should put it in the system and what to plug into it.

My recommendation above for the switch was directed at UFGator84, based upon his/her setup description, and may not be needed in your case.
#40306 by Cozyone
Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:28 pm
Groundhound:

You're a genius!! I moved the phone cable from the port on the all-in-one FAX to the other port and was successful in sending out my first FAX.

While Ooma phone support struggles - the forums rock. Thanks again.
#41944 by Cozyone
Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:29 pm
I have another snafu with the all-in-one network printer (HP Laserjet M1522) and my Ooma answering machine. The printer is supposed to recognize when the incoming call is a voice call vs. a FAX when set to that setting. It doesn't seem to be working. I have the FAX set to pick up on ring 2 or 3 and the Ooma on ring 4. The FAX keeps picking up my voice calls and then eventually disconnects the call so nobody can leave a message. This is probably a printer/FAX issue, but I can't seem to configure it to work with the Ooma answering machine.

Any ideas??
#42198 by murphy
Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:45 pm
The fax machine can't detect a fax until the line has been answered. Once the line has been answered the ooma voice mail is out of the picture. The most straightforward answer is to give the fax machine it's own phone line.
#42815 by UFGator84
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:01 pm
Thanks to all for your input. I went with the TrendNet TE100-S5 ethernet switch (cost about $10 on Amazon), hooked that up to the ethernet jack from the wall, and connected the all-in-one printer to one port on the ethernet switch and the Ooma hub to another port. Ran the phone line from the wall to the Hub (since I'm also using the Scout), and another phone line from the Hub to the All-in-one printer for the fax connection. Plugged my Scout in the other side of the house, where I'm using a Panasonic multi-unit cordless phone system. Everything worked perfectly! Just be sure to follow all the directions, turn everything off first, connect everything, and turn it all on again.