Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39709 by AZGuyJoe
Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:16 pm
I have two landlines from Cox Cable.
One line is used as a dedicated fax line, the other is a home phone line.
I installed a ooma hub/scout today and told it to use my home phone line as a backup.
The home phone line is currently plugged into the WALL connection on the hub.
I have a wireless base station that's plugged into a scout and it's feeding my wireless phones just fine.
My question is how to configure this thing for the fax and the home phone line AND use my existing phone numbers.

Someone at ooma said I should plug the fax line into the hub then plug my wireless base station into a scout.
OK, but if a call comes in for the fax how does it know to go to the fax machine and not the home phones?
Or, if a call comes in for the home phone, how does it know not to go to the fax?
I want to transfer both numbers to ooma so I don't have to pay Cox anymore.

Am I just missing something? Am I a moron? Help! :-)
#39780 by Groundhound
Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:46 pm
In that case you're probably going to need to set your fax number as your main account number, and your voice number as secondary. Your voice number can be assigned to your Scout to ring only on that device, and the fax number will ring on the phone port of the Hub. You would connect your fax machine to the Hub and your phones to the Scout.
#39811 by Groundhound
Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:39 am
Port your fax number first so it becomes your primary Ooma number on your account, then port your second number. I don't think you would need to wait for the first one to complete - just make sure Ooma knows what you want. The first port cost will be included in your annual Premier subscription. Once all porting is complete you can then assign your Scout to your second number (voice line) in my.ooma > preferences > phone numbers > "add a personal device". This will allow you to setup a second my.ooma login for your voice line for voice mail and other features. The voice line will only ring on phones connected to the Scout.

You should test this function with temporary Ooma numbers before you proceed with porting to make sure it works the way you want. If you elected to integrate your landline with Ooma, I recommend you remove integration and obtain a temporary Ooma number for testing (keep your landline separate). You must contact customer service to remove integration and obtain an Ooma number if you've not already done so. You can add a second temporary Ooma number and assign it in my.ooma as part of your Premier trial, and test how all this works before you proceed with porting.
#39814 by AZGuyJoe
Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:34 am
Thanks Groundhog - that sounds like a plan. I do have my landline integrated right now so I'll call ooma support next week and switch things around.
I'll let you know if it works out OK
#39818 by murphy
Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:54 am
AZGuyJoe wrote:Thanks Groundhog - that sounds like a plan. I do have my landline integrated right now so I'll call ooma support next week and switch things around.

For future reference his ID is Groundhound.
:)
#39831 by Groundhound
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:04 am
murphy wrote:
AZGuyJoe wrote:Thanks Groundhog - that sounds like a plan. I do have my landline integrated right now so I'll call ooma support next week and switch things around.

For future reference his ID is Groundhound.
:)

Woof!