Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39667 by Neurorad
Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:23 am
I have my Telo up and running well with the phone port on my Telo using wireless phones in my house. However, if I try to connect the phone port on my Telo to my house line, there is instant line static. This line is disconnected from my phone company. Any explanation? Also, what is the difference between the "phone" and "wall" jacks on the Telo? Is there any use for the "wall" outlet beyond the installation process? Is it safe to use a line splitter right at the Telo unit to distribute to both portable and house line phones? Thank you.
#39671 by murphy
Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:49 am
The wall jack is only used if you integrate a land line with the Telo.

Yes you can use a splitter to split the phone jack to two different places.

If the house line has been disconnected from the phone company, there should not be any static.
Double check that the line has been disconnected because they usually leave voltage on a dead line.
#39687 by southsound
Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:57 am
murphy wrote: If the house line has been disconnected from the phone company, there should not be any static.
Double check that the line has been disconnected because they usually leave voltage on a dead line.

The easiest way to make sure you are disconnected is to go to the network interface box (demarc) on the outside of your house. Inside you will probably find one or more short cables with RJ11 plugs that are inserted into jacks in the box. The jacks go to the telco - the plugs to the house wiring. Simply unplug the cable(s). Some newer boxes use a hinged plug to accomplish the same thing. With these you just swing the plug out of the way. A good tip is to include a tag in the box that says something like, "Do NOT reconnect. Doing so may damage customer provided equipment!"

And welcome to ooma and to the forum! You are going to like it here! :cool:
#39853 by southsound
Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:46 pm
Neurorad wrote::D Yes, your suggestions worked! I disconnected from wires from the box, and static is gone.

Thank you.

Glad that my friend murphy and I could be of service. That's one of the great things about this forum. Lots of people who love to help. Don't be a stranger to the forum... next time someone has a similar problem, you get to be the expert! :cool: