Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39486 by nascione
Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:58 am
I am connected as follows:

Cable Modem -> Router (Cisco RV042) -> Ooma Hub

I have been having a few recurring problems w/ the Ooma Hub:

1) Call quality is great, but I cannot be on the internet while on the phone. The second I hang up the phone... back comes my internet access.

2) I cannot access the Ooma Setup on the hub at all. I have tried http://ooma.setup.com and I have tried http://172.27.35.1 from my computer on the same router and also from a laptop plugged directly into the Home port on the Ooma hub... no access to the Ooma setup/configuration screens. From what I have read on hear plugging in directly to the home port and using the IP address works for everyone else... it's not working here :(

The router is actually an upgrade that I made from a BEFSR41... I was hoping that would be the fix, it has not been. I have also tried playing around w/ the priorities on each port - same problem... cannot call and surf simultaneously.

I have run several speed tests and my bandwidth/connectivity is strong: 12.55MB Download, 1.95MB Upload

I'm not sure which problem is more frustrating... not being able to talk and be on the internet, or not being able to access the darn setup on the hub to see what's going on with it. Any help is appreciated.
#39507 by southsound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:49 am
nascione wrote: I cannot access the Ooma Setup on the hub at all. I have tried http://ooma.setup.com and I have tried http://172.27.35.1 from my computer on the same router and also from a laptop plugged directly into the Home port on the Ooma hub... no access to the Ooma setup/configuration screens. From what I have read on hear plugging in directly to the home port and using the IP address works for everyone else... it's not working here :(

Is there a possiblity that you might have changed the Home Port IP address? If you did, then you need use the new IP to access the setup page from the Home port. After you are able to reach it, you can use port forwarding to access it from other PC's on your router - but right now it seems like either the hub's web server is not working or you have the wrong IP address.

I'm not sure if performing a factory reset will clear any changes, but you could try it. Here is the process: Unplug your Hub, wait 30 seconds and then plug it in again while holding down the Ooma (blue) tab.
#39511 by cruzitude
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:59 am
nascione wrote:I am connected as follows:

Cable Modem -> Router (Cisco RV042) -> Ooma Hub

Since you have the Hub after the router, I'm guessing that you have nothing plugged into your Hub's Home port, right? I could be wrong, but you might need a computer connected to the Home port in order to get into the Hub's settings.
#39512 by southsound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:02 pm
cruzitude wrote:
Since you have the Hub after the router, I'm guessing that you have nothing plugged into your Hub's Home port, right? I could be wrong, but you might need a computer connected to the Home port in order to get into the Hub's settings.

I think you may have missed what the OP said:
also from a laptop plugged directly into the Home port on the Ooma hub... no access to the Ooma setup/configuration screens.
#39515 by daet
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:20 pm
southsound wrote:
also from a laptop plugged directly into the Home port on the Ooma hub... no access to the Ooma setup/configuration screens.

To the OP:
1) Make sure the laptop is configured to receive its IP address via DHCP, and that you (or someone else) has not configured it to have a static IP address. To be completely sure, after confirming that it will use DHCP, reboot the laptop.

2) Is the Cisco RV042 is router or a NAT router - i.e. does each device connected to it receive a unique IP address from your internet provider, or a private network address (i.e. 192.168.0.0/16; 172.16-31.0.0/12, 10.0.0.0/8)? If it is not a NAT router, then how many IP address has your provider assigned to you? If it is only one, then I imagine that when you use the Ooma hub, you will lose access from any other device connected to your router.
#39576 by nascione
Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:59 pm
Thanks for the ideas, still no luck tho.

I tried the reset, still cannot access the hub via the home port w/ a laptop. I also verified that the laptop is configured for DHCP and it is. The RV042 is set to provide DHCP in the local range of 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.103.

I think if I could get into the darned configuration on the Ooma I could have success. It's really peeving me that I can't do that. The browser says: Though the site seems valid, unable to establish a connection.
#39577 by nascione
Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:08 pm
Update: since the reset I am now able to talk and surf... which is a good thing!

However, I'm still not able to get into the hub configuration at all. Should I just play dumb and happy at this point? It does still irk me a bit that I can't get into the ooma interface... inquiring minds want to at least see what's there for tweaking! :) Also, I just got this hub... if it is in fact defective should I be looking to return it.

Another idea... is it possible to update the firmware/ooma config web interface via the USB port? Any ideas how I might do so?

Thanks again,
Neil
#39578 by southsound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:16 pm
The USB port on the hub is and will remain totally useless. The updates are pushed from the mothership without the need for any user intervention. I am still hoping one of our networking experts can chime in here and give a little more insight. Unfortunately, the resident raccoon is out of ideas.
#39580 by nascione
Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:21 pm
Well, thanks to the resident Raccoon for explaining the reset process to me - that was a big help!!! :cool:

The configuration thing on the hub is still bugging me, but hopefully that gets resolved too. I'm just out of ideas myself and appealing to the Ooma experts here :)
#39581 by southsound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:27 pm
One more thought - if no one else is able to get the setup page to show, check through the forum for posts by either Bobby B, Dennis P or Dante R. Then click on the envelope beneath their name to send them a PM. These three guys are the very best that ooma has (in fact, Dennis P is their Vice President of Product Management). I am sure that they would be interested in what is happening and will be able to get it running. Of course, don't expect a response until Monday, but again, don't be surprised if they respond before that. Rumor has it that at least one of the above mentioned never sleeps and has the forum up in every room in his house. :P