Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39445 by jkjflee
Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:39 am
I am cutting the cord and getting rid of my land line. I am currently porting my land line # to ooma which should be completed in a week or 2.

Question is do I need the scout any longer to plug in another phone in my wall jacks?
Will the scout continue to work without a land line if I want to use it still for its features?
I have Dish Network, will that be able to call out as it needs?

TIA!
#39450 by murphy
Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 am
The scout works fine without a land line. If you have Premier, you need it to have the instant second line.
#39459 by jkjflee
Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:33 am
Thanks for the answer.
What about the Satellite Dish Network which needs to connect to a phone jack. Will not having a landline work with this? Can it work with the ooma set up? Any soultions?
#39460 by murphy
Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 am
Connect the satellite box to the phone jack of the hub.
Modify the dialing instructions in the satellite box to include a prefix of * 9 9 Pause.
#39469 by southsound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:17 am
One of the greatest features of the ooma system is that it can send dialtone to every jack in your home, just like the (more expensive) telco used to do. And as murphy has stated, the scout is something that can provide even more features if you have Premier - or can be used as a voicemail station even if you don't.

Here is what I would recommend. I am assuming that you have your Internet provided by the cable company, NOT DSL. If this is correct, then follow along. After the telco is out of the picture, go to the network interface box (demarc) outside your house and unplug the little wire from the jack in that box. Some of the newer boxes have a little hinged assembly - swing it away to disconnect the plug from the jack. Make a little tag that says, "Do NOT reconnect home to telco to prevent damage to customer equipment!" and place it in the box. Then, connect the phone jack on the hub to the phone jack where you had the hub connected before when you were "integrated" with your landline. If you want to use a scout, you can use the splitter ooma supplied to connect both the phone and the wall jacks on the hub to your home's wiring. This will supply dialtone to all the jacks in the house - including the one where your satellite receiver is plugged in.

Murphy makes a good point about redoing the dialing string on your receiver to include *99 [pause][pause] so it will give you the best possible quality for when the receiver dials into the mothership.

If you want to use the scout and have used the splitter to send the hub's wall signal to your home wiring, just plug it into any phone jack. If you have Premier and plug a phone into the scout's phone jack, when a second call comes in it will ring the scout's phone instead of doing the call waiting beep. You can also use it to make a second call when someone is on the other phones (again, a Premier feature).

Have fun!
#39488 by jkjflee
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:00 am
Thanks for all the great help here. It is people you you guys that will help ooma stay alive I believe.

I have one more question while reading your comment on the set up.

You mentioned to disconnect the land line at the phone box to prevent damage to the ooma equipment. (Right now I have the land line integrated with the ooma equipment.) Once my port is completed of the phone # to ooma.... how do I know this is completed and will I have enough time to disconnect the land line from the phone box to prevent any damage? I hope you understand what I am trying to say here.
#39509 by southsound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:58 am
jkjflee wrote: You mentioned to disconnect the land line at the phone box to prevent damage to the ooma equipment. (Right now I have the land line integrated with the ooma equipment.) Once my port is completed of the phone # to ooma.... how do I know this is completed and will I have enough time to disconnect the land line from the phone box to prevent any damage? I hope you understand what I am trying to say here.

I believe the day of the port you will be informed that it is complete - but one way you can tell is to unplug the cable from the wall port of the hub and try to make a local call. If it does not complete, then you are still using the integrated connection. If it works just fine, then you are free from the telco and can do what we recommended. Also, any phones plugged directly into the home's phone jacks will go dead until you do the switch from the wall to phone jacks on the ooma hub.

As to the danger of reconnection to the telco: Damage to your equipment due to connection to the telco usually comes in the form of a surge due to lightning or a technician reusing the pair that your house previously used and ringing voltage backfeeding into your ooma. You also might have noise or other issues if you stay connected. Not a really huge threat, but better to be isolated just in case.