Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39402 by henry_sculler
Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 am
Hi All -

I'm a new user of OOma. Just installed the product yesterday. Here's my situation.

1. My Verizon phone service had caller-id and call-waiting which worked fine
2. I wanted to keep my verizon phone number with OOma
- during the setup, I paid Ooma to keep my old Verizon phone number

My Ooma Setup:
1. Comcast cable-modem --> 2. linksys wireless router --> 3. OOma telo --> 4.1 wall phone jack
--> 4.2 panasonic dect 6.0 phone
Setup:
1. the setup was pretty easy and painless (as a software developer ... I was pleasantly surprised).
2. I could call out and receive incoming calls

Problems:
1. for incoming calls, my phone displays "unknown caller" instead of displaying the caller-id (which was available before Ooma)
2. for some unknown reason - the Ooma voicemail doesn't work? For example, if I don't pick up on a call, the call doesn't seem to go to Ooma voicemail. Prior to Ooma, my calls were routed to my home answering machine.

Thanks in advance for your help and happy holidays!
#39436 by murphy
Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:09 am
Did you integrate your Verizon line with Ooma or did you select a temporary phone number and leave Verizon as a separate service?
#39441 by henry_sculler
Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:30 am
Hi -

Yes ... I integrated my Verizon phone # with Ooma. I decided to use my Verizon phone # and paid Ooma to keep the old number. So I'm still using my Verizon phone number but with my Verizon service ... I had caller-id and call waiting which had worked fine until now.
#39452 by murphy
Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:15 am
It appears that you didn't understand my question.
Your answer implies that you are porting your Verizon number to Ooma.

That was not my question.

Did you get a temporary number to use until the porting process is complete?

If you didn't, your incoming calls are still being handled by Verizon, not Ooma.
#39458 by bw1
Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:32 am
You don't specify whether you have Hub or Telo. Also, do you have DSL or cable internet?

I was thinking that the Ooma device will not currently pass caller id from a landline, but according to this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=194&p=685&hilit=landline+caller+id#p685, it should work.

There are some issues with the Telo and certain phone systems displaying caller id. You may want to try another phone to see if that will work.

For call waiting, you would need to have your landline provisioned by Ooma. This will remove the call waiting and certain other features (like voicemail) from the landline and setup call forward on busy to a special number. I don't see any info on the current knowledgebase. Here is a link to an earlier discussion with a link to the old knowledgebase: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1893&start=10.

Do you want to eventually port your number to Ooma? That would be the best way to get caller id and call waiting. You could contact support and have them remove the landline integration and set you up with a temporary number to test out until the port completes.
#39493 by henry_sculler
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:03 am
Sorry about that:

>>'You don't specify whether you have Hub or Telo.
-> Ooma Telo

>>Do you have DSL or cable internet?
-> Cable Internet

>>According to your past answer:
-> Ooma only provide call info on ooma phone numbers
-> landline must subscribe to caller-id from phone company

note: I already subscribe to verizon for caller-id/call-waiting prior to ooma

>>Do you want to eventually port your number to Ooma? That would be the best way to get caller id and call waiting. You could contact support and have them remove the landline integration and set you up with a temporary number to test out until the port completes.
-> When I initially installed Ooma, I paid $30 or $40 to port my verizon phone number to ooma.

-> The bottom line is that for users who want to integrate their existing phone number with ooma system ... there are problems with caller-id, call-waiting and for me - voice messages. As a software developer who's into hitech stuff - this is kind of confusing!!!

-> Should I talk to ooma phone support??? because I really need voice message if someone calls and wants to leave me a phone message. And it would be really nice to have caller-id and call-waiting again.
#39504 by henry_sculler
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:32 am
To Murphy:

>>Did you get a temporary number to use until the porting process is complete?
>>If you didn't, your incoming calls are still being handled by Verizon, not Ooma.

-> I didn't get a temporary number from Ooma. I was under the impression that I could:
1. use my existing verizon number after the install.
2. my call-waiting/caller-id would still WORK after the install.
since as you put it -- that should still be handled by Verizon? and not Ooma?

but obviously, some features are being handled by Ooma?

-> At this point, should I get a temporary tel# from Ooma?

-> And after 3 to 4 weeks, whenr the porting of my telephone number is completed, what happens to my caller-id and call-waiting?

Thanks again for everyones' help
#39505 by murphy
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:41 am
Connect a phone directly to the Verizon line to handle incoming calls until the port is complete.
There appears to be problems with the Verizon caller ID being fed into Ooma via the Ooma wall jack.
Make your outgoing calls via a phone connected to the Ooma phone jack.
When the port completes, your Verizon account will be terminated.
Then you can disconnect Verizon at the NIB (Network Interface Box) and configure the wiring so Ooma back feeds dial tone to all of the jacks in your house.
#39555 by bw1
Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:48 pm
Most people recommend getting a temporary number to use and just use the numbers and phones separately until your port completes. You have to call customer support to get the landline integration removed and the temporary number assigned.