Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39417 by bw1
Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:20 am
randyb359 wrote:

I emailed removed and asked him to turn on the G711 codec on my phone #. It is the same as hitting *99 except it is on all the time. It use to be an option on the web page but was removed because so many people were asking for it

It's probably not a good idea to include his email address here. This is a publicly viewable forum and there are bots that pick up on those for spam.
#39424 by murphy
Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:44 am
Lee wrote: I can assure you that verbally reprimanding current customers for statements you might not agree agree with, when your phone support department does not have the best reputation, is not in Ooma's best interest.

Southsound is not an employee of Ooma. He is an Ooma user just like the rest of us. Only people with "Moderator" in their forum ID are Ooma employees.
#39426 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:46 am
Lee wrote:
You, being an employee of Ooma, should be the first one to try and keep known issues within their categories.

Hi Lee, as murphy stated, southsound is not an Ooma employee, just a very knowledgeable Ooma customer. You should not take southsound's comment as an attack on you just because he disagreed with you regarding thread continuity - I didn't interpret it that way. All forums have their "culture" (for lack of a better term) and this one generally does not enforce tight thread-on-topic continuity. I've never seen moderators split threads or otherwise take any action to keep threads on-topic. As such it is common here for multiple problems or subjects to be addressed in the same thread. Many of us wish better on-topic control was enforced - it would make helping people and searching for help easier IMO, but it is what it is, and I think southsound was just expressing that.
#39453 by dustydaniels
Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 am
Bill D wrote:
dustydaniels wrote: I also installed an IP Adapter Card in my Alarm Panel for central monotoring.

Dusty,
What brand alarm panel? Did you install the IP card yourself? I have a DSC alarm system and would like to replace the dialer card with an IP card. My installer is locked to a $25/month monitoring company that doesn't do IP. I've seen ads for other $8/month monitoring companies that do IP, so I'm starting to search the web to find an IP card and install it myself.

Lee, - sorry for the thread hijack, but I am truly a "Happy Camper" with my 3 Ooma Hubs. :D

Bill

Hey Bill,

The IP Adapter is made by DSC. To see if it is compatible with your alarm check here: http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=139. If it is, you can purchase direct from this website: http://www.barcodediscount.com/catalog/ ... tl-150.htm or ask your Alarm Co. I purchased from my Alarm Co. for $140 and they installed it for free (I ran the Cat5e cable from the Alarm Panel to my router). It actually reports to the Alarm Monitoring Center faster than over the landline.
#39476 by Shutterstuff
Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:29 am
Groundhound wrote:The Scout may well be defective. Your number, obviously, should not have disappeared as a result of deleting the Scout - perhaps it not showing is another website problem. I'd call customer service in the morning and make sure it is still in your account. I know you don't have much faith that they can do anything for you, but it should be pretty straightforward for them to determine the status of your number.

Whew! The phone number was there this morning when I checked before attempting to call support. So that is solved... now if I can just get a replacement Scout.

BTW, thanks go to you and Murphy! I see your posts all over this forum and both if you helped me figure this all out. If not for you two, I would have returned this weeks ago. I am still hoping I get to actually talk to a level 2 tech before I re-learn to cuss...
#39499 by Bill D
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:20 am
Dusty - I had just added this project to my long "2010 To-Do list" and your excellent info gave me a nice 10 hour head start on 2010. The TL150 you have is compatible with my DSC PowerSeries panel. The builder of the new spec home I bought in California forced me into a contract with an expensive alarm installer/monitoring company.

After trying to explain "no phone line" all the way up to the owner of the alarm company, he called me back suggesting I get a MagicJack. At that point, I knew it was time to say "thank you" and move on. Luckily my contract expires soon.

My monitoring is now $25/mo and I did some research and found several $9/mo IP monitoring services such as http://monitoring.homesecuritystore.com/ and http://alarmrelay.com/. Upon an initial look it appears that the TL150 combined with these alarm service companies can offer much more than the basic dialer-style monitoring because they constantly communicate with the central station and record events such as open/close, arm/disarm, lack of communication, etc. This is important to me because I don't spend much time at that house and I aim to add some cameras. It also appears that the IP connection would allow me to have browser access to configure and control the alarm panel.

Are you using any such enhanced features or just basic monitoring?

Thanks again for the great info.

Bill
#39806 by dustydaniels
Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:47 am
Bill D wrote:Dusty - I had just added this project to my long "2010 To-Do list" and your excellent info gave me a nice 10 hour head start on 2010. The TL150 you have is compatible with my DSC PowerSeries panel. The builder of the new spec home I bought in California forced me into a contract with an expensive alarm installer/monitoring company.

After trying to explain "no phone line" all the way up to the owner of the alarm company, he called me back suggesting I get a MagicJack. At that point, I knew it was time to say "thank you" and move on. Luckily my contract expires soon.

My monitoring is now $25/mo and I did some research and found several $9/mo IP monitoring services such as http://monitoring.homesecuritystore.com/ and http://alarmrelay.com/. Upon an initial look it appears that the TL150 combined with these alarm service companies can offer much more than the basic dialer-style monitoring because they constantly communicate with the central station and record events such as open/close, arm/disarm, lack of communication, etc. This is important to me because I don't spend much time at that house and I aim to add some cameras. It also appears that the IP connection would allow me to have browser access to configure and control the alarm panel.

Are you using any such enhanced features or just basic monitoring?

Thanks again for the great info.

Bill

Hey Bill,

The TL-150 does provide limited browser access. I can arm/disarm the alarm and view the zone status thru the bowser interface. Other than that it works just like the old dialer did, only faster communications to my monitoring station. I suppose different monitoring companies offer different services, but I stayed with my same monitoring service. FYI...the TL-250 provides more configuration features but is not compatible with most residential alarm panels.
#39861 by Bill D
Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:32 pm
Dusty - Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found some DYI alarm/security sites and I'm learning a lot.

Lee - Sorry again for drifting off the vision you had for this thread but it truly is "Good News for People Considering Ooma" that they can easily and cheaply route their alarm monitoring over IP and avoid alarm/Ooma compatibility issues. Besides, any good search jockey that blasts into a knowledge base today ignores "categories" as an obsolete "last decade" concept and finds the info wherever it is. Somebody seeking to run their DSC alarm over IP will read this tread no matter what you named it.

Bill