Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39181 by Bill D
Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 am
Wayne,
Thanks for the Interesting info.

I've interchanged all combinations of my 3 Scouts into my 3 Hubs with short wall port to wall port cables (4 inch) and long cables and in-wall spare pairs and the result is always the same, scratchy sound to the listener on the non-Ooma end.

Others have posted that they received several replacement Scouts from Ooma and all were identically scratchy. Some have reported they hear the scratchy sound and live with it, but I found it too annoying.

Maybe you are just lucky. You should buy some lottery tickets.

You've inspired me to try one more test. My daughter in Denver now has her Hub/Scout installed and I'll ask her to move her phone from Hub to Scout and make some test calls to me for comparison.

Bill
#39252 by bw1
Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:24 pm
In case you didn't see it, there was a long discussion about call quality here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=883
In that thread, there was quite a bit of discussion about scratchy scout calls.

When I tested my scout, I didn't notice any problem, nor did the person on the other end.
#39263 by dustydaniels
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:13 pm
I have had the Telo installed since early November with an integrated landline. It took over three weeks for Tech Support to send me a replacement Telo to correct the buzzing on the landline. Since replaced, NO problems. Submitted Number Port request on Monday 12/28. Just disconnected copper landline from Exterior TELCO Box and I am now supplying Dial Tone to my entire house from the Telo. I also installed an IP Adapter Card in my Alarm Panel for central monotoring. ALL works both BETTER & CHEAPER!
Last edited by dustydaniels on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#39271 by Bill D
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:34 pm
bw1 - I read every word in that thread, which points to the inherent scratchy Scout problem that some folks accept. I've also read and participated in other threads that reach the same conclusion, but I'm still curious why some Scout users such as yourself and Wayne appear to not have the problem. I can't help but suspect you just don't notice it.

To hear the difference yourself, you need two phone numbers assigned so you can record two test VMs to yourself by calling the "other" number (you can't call the number you're dialing from and leave a message). For me the difference is evident. Monotone sounds are worse, like "EEEEEEEEE". I also tried *99 for the G711 codec, which improved quality both ways, but the Scout calls still had scratchy static. To eliminate variables, I used the same phone and wire moved between Hub and Scout to leave the two messages.

Ooma's literature admits there's a difference between Scout and Hub because they say not to fax on a Scout.

The Hub works so damn good that I'm still an Ooma fan and only use Scouts to check my VM.

Bill
#39273 by Lee
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:56 pm
Hey, ya'all, you hijacked my thread. :D I was trying to help Ooma by showing the guests that frequent this forum that there really are a lot of folks that are happy with Ooma that don't post. As I already mentioned, I know how I looked for positive feedback and had a hard time finding any as "happy campers" have no reason to start threads or frequent the forum for that matter.

As the unofficial ambassador of Ooma good news, I sure would like to hear from more people who have had a positive experience with the company. The more Ooma succeeds the more we all benefit as customers, right? :cool:
#39290 by Bill D
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:30 pm
dustydaniels wrote: I also installed an IP Adapter Card in my Alarm Panel for central monotoring.

Dusty,
What brand alarm panel? Did you install the IP card yourself? I have a DSC alarm system and would like to replace the dialer card with an IP card. My installer is locked to a $25/month monitoring company that doesn't do IP. I've seen ads for other $8/month monitoring companies that do IP, so I'm starting to search the web to find an IP card and install it myself.

Lee, - sorry for the thread hijack, but I am truly a "Happy Camper" with my 3 Ooma Hubs. :D

Bill
#39295 by southsound
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm
Lee wrote:Hey, ya'all, you hijacked my thread. :D I was trying to help Ooma by showing the guests that frequent this forum that there really are a lot of folks that are happy with Ooma that don't post. As I already mentioned, I know how I looked for positive feedback and had a hard time finding any as "happy campers" have no reason to start threads or frequent the forum for that matter.

As the unofficial ambassador of Ooma good news, I sure would like to hear from more people who have had a positive experience with the company. The more Ooma succeeds the more we all benefit as customers, right? :cool:

As far as hijacking goes, I think not. If you only wanted people with stellar experience and no real life issues to contribute, then I think you should have stated that in the first post. I also don't think that one post about how great ooma is makes you THE unofficial ambassador of ooma good news - there are really many of us so you are in good company. There are also hundreds of posts on the forum that talk about solving problems, and showing the customer experience being good in the end.

BillD - who you are most likely pointing to, had some real problems and has not been able to solve them. Most likely because of a design flaw or hardware problem that is fairly common and is one of the reasons that ooma went with the DECT 6.0 technology for the Telo. But I think you are missing the most important thing that BillD said, "Ooma's literature admits there's a difference between Scout and Hub because they say not to fax on a Scout.

The Hub works so damn good that I'm still an Ooma fan and only use Scouts to check my VM."

If I were a prospective user I would take a lot of stock in hearing from a person like BillD who has had problems but still loves his ooma. Or even from myself with pages of problems about an echo problem I had in the first month - that has been so wonderfully fixed that I often call the ooma experience "stellar."

OK. rant off. Happy New Year!
#39303 by Shutterstuff
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:50 pm
Groundhound wrote:
Shutterstuff wrote:How about a Scout that breaks the Hub when plugged in? Ooma light is solid blue on both the Hub and Scout. Still trying to get this solved with their horrible tech support but I am about to return it to Amazon for a refund simply due to support is worthless and I have 2 days to get the old pricing for Premier.

I don't want you to repeat a problem description you've already made, but can you provide a link back to your Hub/Scout issue thread so that anyone who may be able to help can do so?

I went to look at my threads (multiple) and it would be easier to just recap. You can search my profile for all of my posts. The main bitch thread of mine is the "phone support sooo sucks".

With the Scout plugged in wall port to wall port, both blue Ooma lights are solid. If you call on line 1 (shared) you get 1 ring and then static. If you call line 2 (Scout only) you go right to voicemail. If I unplug the scout, line 1 works like it is supposed to. After 5 different techs, I could not get one of them to even call my Ooma number to see what I am talking about. They keep going on about QOS and how it is hooked up...

I know this is in the minority, as there are thousands of happy Ooma customers. Even the reviews on Amazon say great things. It seems that if there is a complaint, it is the lack of support.
#39315 by amoney
Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:20 pm
raxxal wrote:Same here. A happy camper with my OOMA TELO :cool: . I had a couple issues at the beginning, not as bad as AT&T where I lost the dial tone about 5 times in 5 weeks! Overall, the OOMA is a wonderful service. I also was with AT&T for about 23 years, recently I ported my number to OOMA, of course I am a premier user.

VOIP is a new technology, it require some skills to implement it, and I sure many of those negative criticism originate due to the lack of those skills. I read in this forums all kinds of issues, I try my best to help, after all, OOMA and its related technology was created that way, sharing knowledge.

Till next time!

Just a note of correction and for your info.

VOIP is not "new" technology, its basicly very simple. Technology wise Ooma is doing things well. There are other things but ooma is very promising and delievers.

I have no conerns "breaking even" as that is very easy to do with a investment of 200 bucks. I have no problem paying 10 bucks a month either.

I am very pleased!!!

Porting successfull earlier this week!