Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39107 by tecbox77
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:38 pm
Just installed my new Ooma Telo and opted for the "If you have a landline (VoIP or traditional), choose to integrate it with your Ooma system and are ready to port, then select “I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider” option during activation since I currently have VoIP service and I didn't want to get a temporary number till mine was ported over.

My configuration is Comcast modem -> Netgear router -> Dlink router -> Ooma. I configured the Ooma with a static IP and all Services show as Connected or Enabled EXCEPT for "Phone Line" which shows as Disconnected.

I can make outgoing calls fine (and the correct phone # shows on caller ID), however I am unable to receive any calls. Whenever I try to call my number I get "Your call can not be completed as dialed".

ALL the lights on my Ooma are blue EXCEPT for the Play button which is red. Don't know if this is to be expected? I tried the brightness adjustment and I get 1. NO lights EXCEPT the red Play button, 2. ALL lights faint blue EXCEPT the red Play button or 3. ALL light bright blue EXCEPT the red Play button.

I tried plugging a phone directly into the PHONE port and I can make calls but not receive calls. I tried plugging the phone into the WALL port and I can NOT make or receive calls.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by tecbox77 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
#39108 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:46 pm
Connect a phone cord from your old VoIP adapter to the Ooma Wall port. Connect a phone to the Ooma Phone port. Pick up that phone and press the play button on the Ooma, follow the prompts to set up your voicemail.
#39111 by tecbox77
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:56 pm
I figured the red Play button was the introductory message from Ooma. I called and set up the voice mailbox which got rid of the red Play button, but I still can't receive calls?
Last edited by tecbox77 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
#39112 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:58 pm
tecbox77 wrote:I figured the red Play button was the introductory message from Ooma. I called and set up the voice mailbox which got rid of the red Play button, but I still can't receive calls?

Did you connect a phone cord from your old VoIP adapter to the Ooma Wall port?
#39113 by tecbox77
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 pm
Yes, still no luck.

The old VoIP box is powered up with NO network connections since these are going to the Ooma device now. I connected a phone cord from a phone port on the old VoIP box to the WALL port on the Ooma. Still no incoming calls ?? Is this what you were suggesting ?
Last edited by tecbox77 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
#39115 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:42 pm
You elected to integrate your landline (VoIP type), which means you must connect that working landline to your Ooma device's wall port to receive calls. Your old VoIP line can't work if you don't have its adapter connected to the Internet. If you want to not use integration you will need to call customer support and have them remove integration and issue you an Ooma number. You can later port your old VoIP number over to Ooma to replace the temporary Ooma number if you desire.
#39116 by oldanbo
Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 pm
two routers and two voip boxes :!:
sounds like a port problem(conflict) to my simple mind.
can you make calls with phone plugged into non ooma voip box?

Sorry if you already stated that.
#39123 by tecbox77
Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 am
Groundhound wrote:You elected to integrate your landline (VoIP type), which means you must connect that working landline to your Ooma device's wall port to receive calls. Your old VoIP line can't work if you don't have its adapter connected to the Internet. If you want to not use integration you will need to call customer support and have them remove integration and issue you an Ooma number. You can later port your old VoIP number over to Ooma to replace the temporary Ooma number if you desire.

This makes more sense and was actually the very question that I asked Ooma technical support prior to setting up the Ooma. Technical support said that I could completely eliminate the old VoIP and strictly use the Ooma. I asked if I had to wait for the number to be ported prior to removing the old VoIP box and they said no.

I'm not at home to test it right now, but are you saying that I'll need to keep the old VoIP box in place until the number is ported over? So would the setup be:

Modem -> Netgear router -> Dlink router -> Old VoIP -> Ooma

with the network connections to the Old VoIP and the Ooma only connected to the old VoIP box via the WALL port ? If this is the case, would it even make sense to have the Ooma in the loop until the number is ported over?

oldanbo wrote:two routers and two voip boxes :!:
sounds like a port problem(conflict) to my simple mind.
can you make calls with phone plugged into non ooma voip box?

Sorry if you already stated that.

I apologize, guess in all the frustration in trying to get the Ooma to work, I inadvertenly put "NO outgoing calls" for the thread title when it should have stated "NO incoming calls". Title to the thread was wrong, but my description in the thread was correct, I can NOT get INCOMING calls. I have since corrected the thread title for the posts I could edit.

Thanks so much for all your help so far!
#39125 by Groundhound
Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:36 am
Since you intend to port the number over to Ooma, I recommend eliminating the integration of your existing VoIP line with Ooma, and getting a temporary Ooma phone number. You can forward your existing number with your old VoIP provider over to your temporary Ooma number so incoming calls will be received. That way you can disconnect the old VoIP adapter and not need to connect anything to your Ooma's wall port, and there will be no potential conflict between the two VoIP adapters. Plus you will have all Ooma features working for you from the start - not true with landline integration. The only downside to this temporary arrangement is that until your number ports to Ooma your outbound caller ID will show your temporary Ooma number - but this is easily explained to anyone you call who might question it.

Oldanbo questioned the use of two routers in your setup, and I also wonder why you would use two - hopefully you only have one acting as a router and the other as a switch?
#39130 by tecbox77
Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:03 am
That sounds like the plan of action I will take. I'm sure many folks convert to Ooma from another VoIP service and want to port their number; can't understand why Ooma technical support aren't trained on how to tell customers how to configure for this. Your suggestion makes perfect sense.

I have two routers due to the fact that one is a standard router (Netgear) and the other is wireless (Dlink DIR-655). Both are acting as a router right now because Dlink has the AccessPoint (AP) functionality hidden in their GUI. Apparently, Dlink didn't intend the DIR-655 to serve as an AP, but several Dlink forum posts describe configuring the "hidden" AP functionality. I plan to convert it over to an AP.

Thank you so much Groundhound for all your help. I'll update the post with my results.