Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#40263 by triple_vee
Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 am
bw1 wrote:
triple_vee wrote:Ooma employees, you need to tell customers to power up in this order if the Ooma is sitting between the modem and router:
1. modem (wait till finished)
2. *Ooma* (wait till finished)
3. then finally your home router.

They do. In the Telo instructions it says to turn off network devices in step 2 (after activating which is step 1). Then in step 4, final installation, it says to plug in the Telo and then turn on your modem and router.

But that's the wrong sequence if your Telo is between the modem and router (or PC).

Also, it's very difficult to power down the modem if it has battery power. So, for step 4 -- IF your Telo is between the modem and router -- it should say "power up the modem (or press its reset button it if it is battery powered)".

Not trying to get into a debate here...just think the instructions could be more clear...I'm happy with the product.
#40269 by bw1
Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:02 am
I've had my Ooma Hub lose connection and unable to connect to the internet when I had it between my modem and router. Presumably, it was unable to get an IP address, even after reboot and factory reset. In order to get it working again, I had to unplug the modem and the hub and then plug in the hub and then the modem.

They only recommend to turn off your modem and router in step 2. I think in most cases where everything works as it should, sequence doesn't matter.
#40338 by 7709329535
Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm
AT&T fiberoptic cable has no modem. PPPOE is type of cable. Ooma Telo devise is type I purchased. Yes I would keep if it would work.Tech support could not help me on phone.
William
#40361 by murphy
Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:18 pm
7709329535 wrote:AT&T fiberoptic cable has no modem. PPPOE is type of cable. Ooma Telo devise is type I purchased. Yes I would keep if it would work.Tech support could not help me on phone.
William

If you have the ooma ahead of your router, you have to put the pppoe credentials in the ooma and set the router to DHCP client mode.
#40378 by triple_vee
Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:18 pm
murphy wrote:
7709329535 wrote:AT&T fiberoptic cable has no modem. PPPOE is type of cable. Ooma Telo devise is type I purchased. Yes I would keep if it would work.Tech support could not help me on phone.
William

If you have the ooma ahead of your router, you have to put the pppoe credentials in the ooma and set the router to DHCP client mode.

And the way you do that is as follows:
1. Bring up your router user interface (usually http://192.168.1.1 or http://10.0.0.1 -- either way, on your PC, if you run ipconfig at the dos prompt, the gateway address is your router address.

2. On the router user interface, navigate to the Internet side (this will be the Ooma side). Look at your router's gateway (or router) address. It will most likely be 172.27.35.1

3. in your browser on your PC, launch http://172.27.35.1, and you will see the Ooma user interface for entering PPOE credentials for AT&T.
#40595 by firekirin
Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:56 am
I totally agree with the above user about powering the units in the correct sequence. I tried both cable modem-router-ooma and cable modem-ooma-router sequence and both did not work until I powered them in the exact sequence of connection, in my case, cable modem-router-ooma. Make sure you wait long enough for the unit to boot up before powering the next unit. It seems like you will mess up the IP address assignment if you don't power them in the right sequence.